10+ Year Old Account

Andy Murray Finally Does It

Let's all congrats him

Was an epic game, both players playing some amazing shots and exciting rally's.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2012-09-11 at 10:25 AM.

And about time too! /jk

Looks like the confidence boost from winning Gold at the Olympics really helped him out, I'd be scared of him next July if I were Djokovic or Federer.

I'm actually going to disagree with you Butler Log - I would suggest to you that losing the Wimbledon final was the spark, if you look at the difference between the Wimbledon final where yeah he looked like he thought he was ready he also didn't really fully believe it yet a few weeks later during the Olympics he genuinely played like a man who was born to play at that level. He wasn't as hesitant as he was before, he had a meaner & more assertive side to his play which in previous years was the missing element - Wimbledon wasn't his first grand slam final, but it was the one thus far that he's learned most from, I think the fact the Olympics was also held at Wimbledon just added a little extra pep in his step.

I didn't think he'd win a major to be honest because he didn't have that "next gear" which Djokovic, Federer & Nadal all have as did all the greats of the past, Lendl has helped with a bit of that, but one loss has I feel given him the extra motivation to move up. 12 months ago if he'd won the opening 2 sets then lost the next 2 he'd have lost the decider 6-2.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm certain this will be the start of many Grand Slams for him now, he just lacked the belief before, which koodle pointed out.

He is extremely fit, so I'm sure he will be at the top of his game for years to come.

Each grand slam final defeat made him stronger, after Wimbledon he came back extremely strong, usually he falls apart

Lets look at all the fuck I CANOT GIVE BECAUSE I DUNNO WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!! If you are puttign a post to congrats Murray Have the decency of clarifying what ita all about !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    Lets look at all the fuck I CANOT GIVE BECAUSE I DUNNO WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!! If you are puttign a post to congrats Murray Have the decency of clarifying what ita all about !!!!!!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/19554524

He won the US Open tennis tournament, beating Novak Djokavic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    If you don't know what it is about from the title, you won't care in the slightest, so just ignore the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    If you don't know what it is about from the title, you won't care in the slightest, so just ignore the thread.
    Yeah... if you follow professional tennis at all you would know what this thread is about. This guy is probably trollin though lol

Was such a good match really happy I stayed up until almost 3am to watch the entire thing.
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

10+ Year Old Account
    Today Andy Murray is British. Next time he loses he will go back to being Scottish again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligier View Post
    Today Andy Murray is British. Next time he loses he will go back to being Scottish again!
    First grandslam in 3/4 of a decade? The guy's British for life(.. or until an Englishman wins a Grand Slam)

All jesting aside, it's a fantastic achievement for him. Wimbledon was definitely the turning point, he was outperformed by a master on his absolute best day. A few years ago it happened to Andy Roddick, who played out of his skin and was still beaten, and it was a career killer for him there and then, he never played as good as he could afterwards.

Murray on the otherhand went straight back to the same place, and swept the field aside before absolutely taking apart the guy who had denied him a month before. That is a turn around in sport most professionals simply cannot reach, and the momentum swept forward into winning the US Open. I always thought he'd celebrate a little more, remember his whole climb up at Wimbledon? I thought he'd be scaling the court walls after winning his first Grand Slam.

The only thing that was missing was Sue Barker ready to interview him.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    In many ways, I don’t necessarily think the Wimbledon final and Olympics were “catalysts” in the conventional sense; every loss that he’s taken badly has propelled him to work harder and harder. Think back to the Australian Open semi final where he played another five-setter against Nole, and could easily have won it. That extra step was taken last night when he stopped believing he could win a Major, and started knowing that he could.

I’m not sure that this will suddenly see him win four or five Major titles in the next four years or so though, purely because that would be doing Djokovic, Nadal, Del Potro and Tsonga a great disservice; I don’t think Federer is quite finished, either. I’m not really a subscriber of the belief that he had to get a monkey off his back, more that he simply played men in his previous four finals that were at the very top of their game. Last night was the first time when Murray himself was at his best.

That said, I think an Australian Open and a Wimbledon title are now very real possibilities for him moving forward. If he nets as many as three more Major titles when some of history’s best players all stood in his way, he’ll go down as a legend – and he’ll have earned it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's really two ways as to how he'll go. Either the pressure is off and the confidence propels him to a Nadal or Djokovic esque win streak, or he'll take a lull because he's achieved the dream.

If the former happens, it'll be the actions of this summer that everyone will look to and go "That's where it all began."
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    I always thought he'd celebrate a little more, remember his whole climb up at Wimbledon? I thought he'd be scaling the court walls after winning his first Grand Slam.
    I thought this as well, but lets see how we would celebrate after a 5 hour long match like that. I just found out this afternoon, but he lost his toenail in the 2nd last game, ouch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    There's really two ways as to how he'll go. Either the pressure is off and the confidence propels him to a Nadal or Djokovic esque win streak, or he'll take a lull because he's achieved the dream.

If the former happens, it'll be the actions of this summer that everyone will look to and go "That's where it all began."
    Great post, and I'm totally with you.

I personally hope Djokovic and Murray won't play in Grand Slams in the future. I found the game rather boring, simply because it was a baseliner against a pusher.

Even if I dislike Murray for his attitude and pushing style of play, he truly deserved this tournament. Will be interesting to see AO 2013, with all 4 top player in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggo View Post
    I personally hope Djokovic and Murray won't play in Grand Slams in the future. I found the game rather boring, simply because it was a baseliner against a pusher.

Even if I dislike Murray for his attitude and pushing style of play, he truly deserved this tournament. Will be interesting to see AO 2013, with all 4 top player in good shape.
    You thought it was boring? I thought it was far from boring with some amazing tennis.

He's coming home to Dunblane tomorrow, to go or not to go...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trix View Post
    You thought it was boring? I thought it was far from boring with some amazing tennis.

He's coming home to Dunblane tomorrow, to go or not to go...
    You've gotta go. :P