10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I hate to say Im not surprised to see this happen to the GW2 sub section. The SWTOR sub section became absolutely unbearable to the point that it actually drove me to the GW2 section.. which actually lead me to look more into the game and play it lol. For a good long while this was a nice escape and a pleasant informative place to read.

What chaps my butt most is that you see a lot of the same people griefing this section as they did SWTORs. I will never understand those that get there jollies by purposely trolling others. To me its the lowest form of MMO / internet life.

When game gets launched it attracts new ppl, obviously the community grows. It was small b4 because we were all fans of the game that have been keeping up with it for months or years b4 the first beta. We are the fans that like the game, but once it launches it attracts players who dont feel the same way. These are the ppl who didnt read about the game or know much about it but just bought because other ppl said it was good and it didnt turn out to be their cup of tea. It happens with all games. Get used to it.
    Its not really that simple though. If all it was, was someone who says x / y I didnt like and left it at that.. well no worries, no game is for everyone. However there is a dedicated few that just sit on forums blasting negativity and playing devils advocate to any and all topics that arise to the point of arguing the freaking definition of words, terms and the very nature of MMO's lol.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-09-14 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I just wish fact-checking and objectiveness was, in certain cases, required.
    If turnips were watches, et cetera.

There are no rules against being wrong, ignorant or having differing POV. So like a lot of things reported for trolling and not really infractable. Food for thought.

2. Individual sub-forums are likely a long ways off. This isn't really a GW2 fansite. However, ya'll are free to petition for one to the administration. If Boub is cranky about it tell him it was Zilong's idea. Not mine.
    Well, we do have gw2guru, but the problem with that, is that it's not mmo-champ. I know I don't have a ton of posts, but there are quite a few people over here whose posts I enjoy reading, and try to have a conversation with. But past few weeks, it's been almost impossible to have an opinion or ask a question, or offer advice without being flamed for it. I'm thinking specifically of when Drake had the audacity to suggest that people use different passwords, and passed along what he(?) used in the form of security. (If that last part is a no-no, feel free to delete it, just felt that it needed to be said, as we are talking about the state of these forums.)

@Fencers, I googled Turnips wearing watches, they don't. =(
    Last edited by Fenlnir; 2012-09-14 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Turnips don't wear watches. =(
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are no rules against being wrong, ignorant or having differing POV. So like a lot of things reported for trolling and not really infractable. Food for thought.
    It's infractable when it's intentionally posted that way for the sake of disrupting the community. :3
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I just wish fact-checking and objectiveness was, in certain cases, required. Like going around saying "GW2 is an Asian game!"
    Which is not only untrue, but doesn't even really mean anything.
    Or when they say "It's made by NCsoft"...which, after how many times they were corrected, I believe they were deliberately saying to piss people off (ie, trolling), because some people just get their kicks by annoying everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Well, it did work to a degree. We did contain a lot of otherwise bad threads by having that huge [NEGATIVE OPINION] thread open for a bit. Not all of it. And some borderline stuff had to be allowed as it was just shy of crossing that infraction line.

Though there is always a breaking point. Eventually it just gets out of hand the cycle begins anew.
    I give you credit for that. It worked for a while.

It's infractable when it's intentionally posted that way for the sake of disrupting the community. :3
    I know a troll by sight, you know a troll by sight, but if mods should start to use the banhammer on what they "perceive" as intentional, well, i'm not sure the thing will actually improve much.

Mods have to follow certain rules and reduce personal judgement at minimum, in order to mod a community "fairly". Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Said that, "fair" not always mean "right". The subtle difference between law and justice. Usually they should coincide, practically, they do just where turnips wear watches.

That's why i respect so much their work, because i would never ever be able to let a clever troll go unpunished, just because he/she walks just a few inches away of the red line without crossing it.
    It's the pubblic forum curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Every community has its trolls and its haters, every message board across every subject I've ever browsed has got problems keeping everyone happy. This is at the end of the day a World of Warcraft fansite and that does cause some problems for other game sections... the official forums is looking pretty good right now and although I love these forums and will continue to actively use this one, I'll still be reading and participating on the official ones too, it's not like you have to choose one forum.

I have to say I play GW2 mainly with around five different people who I met here on MMO who are probably the most fun and nicest gamers I've met since the guild I raided with for 4 years on WoW and coming from me, that's a massive compliment... I usually do not actually mix the people I talk to on MMO with the people I actually game with - this section is the only section I've actually had personal conversations with people in, the only section that I've chatted to people on voice comms with, the only section I've ever found people in I actually game with and enjoy spending time with outside of the forums and I've been a WoW mod for 2 years and a D3 mod since beta. Because of that I rate this community and section pretty high myself, despite the frustrations from some of the rather silly threads, negativity and whining right now.

There are a lot of really fantastic people in this community, I have faith I will find even more awesome people to game with, and surely it's better to keep participating and try and meet those people for good constructive discussions, than give up on it and let the trolls win.
    But this post gives me some hope.
    Last edited by mmoc6322d2f7bc; 2012-09-14 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Coincide not Collide. False friend is false.

Turnips, dear. Turnips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydorf View Post
    I know a troll by sight, you know a troll by sight, but if mods should start to use the banhammer on what they "perceive" as intentional, well, i'm not sure the thing will actually improve much.

Mods have to follow certain rules and reduce personal judgement at minimum, in order to mod a community "fairly". Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Said that, "fair" not always mean "right". The subtle difference between law and justice. Usually they should collide, practically, they do just where turnips wear watches.

That's why i respect so much their work, because i would never ever be able to let a clever troll go unpunished, just because he/she walks just a few inches away of the red line without crossing it.
    It's the pubblic forum curse.
    I've come to feel that the mods are too soft in some cases. I've moderated forum communities about as small as the GW2 sub-forum, back when I was in high school and MUCH more... "emotional" about things, let's say.
    And I'd say that while you don't want to get too heavy-handed, the mods in this community could go farther without going too far. :P
    It's all a matter of knowing when to use the right touch to get people to stop disturbing the peace.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Yea, honestly. A lot of what people report isn't really infractable or would be overturned by appeals committee.

It's pretty common to see your mod inbox full of reports with just like, Post Report #1956726, Reason User Gave: "troll". And the reported post(s) being something like- "I got bored of the game a week ago!" / "DEs are a grind." For reals.

If ya'll would like to voice your opinion on moderation policies feel free to shoot Boub or Sunshine a PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, honestly. A lot of what people report isn't really infractable or would be overturned by appeals committee.

It's pretty common to see your mod inbox full of reports with just like, Post Repor #1956726, Reason User Gave: "troll". And the reported post(s) being something like- "I got bored of the game a week ago!" / "DEs are a grind." For reals.

If ya'll would like to voice your opinion on moderation policies feel free to shoot Boub or Sunshine a PM.
    Oh please, we all know those aren't trolls.

Aside: Where has grandpab been lately?! People who used to post all the time are now so quiet.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-14 at 06:38 PM.

Aside: Where has grandpab been lately?! People who used to post all the time are now so quiet.
    I don't think you all know those aren't trolls or otherwise my box wouldn't feel up with thousands of reports.

Most of what's reported isn't infractable, even tho sometimes I think it should but since we can't have a personal judgement there, we don't act on. Regardless, rules are rules and we follow them.

I've been a little bit absent, I do read a lot of the forum but mainly just to scout for potential bad. I guess -some- of us have been busy with the game hehe, I for one started a guild that is growing more than I first expected, over 110 members now.

But don't worry we are here

They're not. That's my point. A lot of reported posts are merely "I don't agree with this person" reports. Most actually.

There is a very fine line w/r/t MMO-C forum policies. We also have a committee process on infractions and so on. It really isn't as cut and dry as it may seem on your side of things.

Again, if you want to voice your opinion- we have super mods and admins in the user list.

He's around. Was talking to him the other night.

Edit: Also yes, I was talking to Zil last night and almost every morning. XD

Deleted
    So the server is full at 4am, 5am, 6am and 7am on a normal workday, but friday evening at 10pm it's... not. Strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thought I'd share this with y'all: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...elding-options

Sounds cool, but the ONE dude who responded didn't quite get it. That's why I don't frequent the official forums, you get people that don't read anything.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenlnir View Post
    Sounds cool, but the ONE dude who responded didn't quite get it. That's why I don't frequent the official forums, you get people that don't read anything.
    Well, if you do frequent official forums, you can start adding people that do get it, one person at a time. :P

Do you know if there is a way to get the level 1 class specific item (like the guardian shoulders) back if you deleted it ? xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    Do you know if there is a way to get the level 1 class specific item (like the guardian shoulders) back if you deleted it ? xD
    There is not, AFAIK.

I think the GW2 design philosophy fits the Skittles facebook page post today.. rather well.
    Skittles
    You miss out on 100% of the Rainbows you don’t taste.

Deleted
    Ouch, just an errata corrige in my last post, even quoted by Drake.
    Regarding law and justice, i meant they should usually "coincide", not "collide". I skrewed up all the sentence's meaning.
    False friend is false, but my bad grammar is a sad truth.

Just did the Arah story with a friend who was finishing his personal story (I've been putting my own off, but been going through his as a pair), and just gotta say...

...I really hope they fix Zhaitan by the time I get around to it. That was kinda depressing. I'm assuming the whole thing is just bugged, what with broken music/sound, a seemingly broken final fight and all. Very, very jarring, considering how much of the rest I've thoroughly enjoyed.

PS: giving bosses bullet-hell mechanics is awesome. I love that mechanic.