Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodpad View Post
    For levelling I'm currently running with Dual Pistols, Grenade Kit, Bomb Kit and Elixir B.

I don't actually switch to the kits, I only use the F key abilities (I believe they are called toolbelts?)

Is this a good way to level? Currently level 35 but my damage does feel a little bit low.

Is there a more optimal way to do better DPS while solo'ing single mobs in the world?
    this. Feels like I do alot less damage than my Warrior/Mesmer/Thief

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodpad View Post
    For levelling I'm currently running with Dual Pistols, Grenade Kit, Bomb Kit and Elixir B.

I don't actually switch to the kits, I only use the F key abilities (I believe they are called toolbelts?)

Is this a good way to level? Currently level 35 but my damage does feel a little bit low.

Is there a more optimal way to do better DPS while solo'ing single mobs in the world?
    Yes, using a variety of kits and constantly switching provides much quicker damage. But as I mentioned a couple pages back, engineer damage starts to get very weak the higher you get for leveling purposes. It's starting to feel like a nightmare. The quickest strategy I have found is stacking power and condition damage, using grenades and elixirs, and slowing/freezing everything dropping every aoe/ground condition possible and then just circle strafing around it while chucking grenades in the center.

It still takes way too damn long, but it does provide a lot of damage.

I find that mobs like the risen, who constantly try to run behind you (stupidest idea ever for this game btw) make me want to delete the character completely. I have to just run away tossing grenades on my feet to kill them efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Langy View Post
    this. Feels like I do alot less damage than my Warrior/Mesmer/Thief
    Well, you do less damage. Especially as pistol/pistol.

Lets see, Condition Damage scales quite badly. It doesnt scale with power, precision or +%critdamage. And then your basic attack is also just bad, Explosive Shot.
    At lv80, with Exotic pistol it non-crits for less then 300dmg and ticks twice with a bleed for 80dmg per tick. Less then 500dmg. But even if it crit, its still sub 500dmg with two ticks of Bleeding for 80dmg. Still less then 700dmg.

I can whip out my Rifle, and frequently do, and even in my precision/condition gear i can spark upto 900crits on Hipshot. And i dont need a trait to shoot through multiple enemies.
    I am not including traits that proc more bleeds/burning because they apply to the Rifle just as much. And the rest of Pistol abilities arent all that much better sadly.

Demonstrates that pistol/pistol isnt exactly an ideal damage weapon. The Poison Dart Volley misses easily unless you are really close to your target, or your target is the size of a barn. Ive tried it, at the 900 range its suppose to work at, its not uncommong to miss as much as 3 out of 5, even 4 out of 5 hits. Wow, a cooldowned ability that just did 500crit + 2sec of poison. Yah, viable.

Static Shot isnt a big hitter either, but its real strength lies in the confusion. Which can either happen a lot of the target is active or not at all. Huge gap between when it works well and when it does nothing. Nice for tagging multiple mobs, and most importantly the blind.

Blowtorch is the best hitter, strong burning DoT and a decent application hit. Provided you are a) in the enemies face and b) it doesnt miss due to some inexplicit reason.

So if you want to get better damage, my tip to you. Get a Rifle and roll with that, Blunderbuss can hit quite hard but also bugs out with misses sometimes. Jumpshot, take off and landing, pretty decent hit. Ive gotten 4k with that in cond. gear.
    Really insist on sticking with pistol/pistol, then go for condition damage and forget the idea that its a ranged weapon. Your damage is much better if you are close to your target. So poison dart can hit 5x and do pretty decent damage, and blowtoch deals more damage and gets 3x more burning stacking.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    I am not including traits that proc more bleeds/burning because they apply to the Rifle just as much. And the rest of Pistol abilities arent all that much better sadly.
    Nope, Rifle has no burning damage, that makes a huge difference on how condition damage impacts your damage.

Also, yes, you need to be close to the boss when using the pistols, this is even more important if you choose to use rocket boots + exilir gun. But really fighting from a closer distance is not at all bad in this game for most fights, just deal with it.

Your assessment of how rifle is better has yet to be calculated/ shown somehow (no saying it can "crit for over 900" is not enough), and this is specially different when you consider the use of the other weapons that may or may not provide the group with utilities. The pistol auto attack part is irrelevant, it does good AE damage and if you have 1 secondary kit, you can use the auto attack from that kit instead.

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yes, using a variety of kits and constantly switching provides much quicker damage. But as I mentioned a couple pages back, engineer damage starts to get very weak the higher you get for leveling purposes. It's starting to feel like a nightmare. The quickest strategy I have found is stacking power and condition damage, using grenades and elixirs, and slowing/freezing everything dropping every aoe/ground condition possible and then just circle strafing around it while chucking grenades in the center.

It still takes way too damn long, but it does provide a lot of damage.

I find that mobs like the risen, who constantly try to run behind you (stupidest idea ever for this game btw) make me want to delete the character completely. I have to just run away tossing grenades on my feet to kill them efficiently.
    No it doesn't, at first I felt like it, but after learning what to do with gear/ traits, I improved my damage significantly while altogether improving my survivability. The use of other kits must be analysed with a grain of salt, using 3 kits is absolutely detrimental to your damage, you will end up not being able to use all the damage cooldowns, let alone the survivability skills (and no cool exilirs for you to use). Using 2 kits is questionable imo, using 1 is probably the ideal.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post

No it doesn't, at first I felt like it, but after learning what to do with gear/ traits, I improved my damage significantly while altogether improving my survivability. The use of other kits must be analysed with a grain of salt, using 3 kits is absolutely detrimental to your damage, you will end up not being able to use all the damage cooldowns, let alone the survivability skills (and no cool exilirs for you to use). Using 2 kits is questionable imo, using 1 is probably the ideal.
    Yes, it does. Notice I said 'quicker' and not 'more'. If you are killing multiple mobs at once, using a grenade kit and an elixir gun is more damage for the time spent, with the same amount of survival you mention. Survival is not limited to being able to get hit more, that's called lazy. Using rifle, grenades, elixir and speccing correctly gives you permanent speed buffs, three + escape mechanics, and the most aoe damage possible for your actions.

Deleted
    im going full grenade build. is this ok? should i go for power? im level 8 only though. got 80 asura warrior already and wanted to try some grenades!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    im going full grenade build. is this ok? should i go for power? im level 8 only though. got 80 asura warrior already and wanted to try some grenades!!
    Roll new engineer, do first quest, click pvp and go try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    I thought the heal on explosion only works with bombs, not grenades? Can i get calrification on this? The talent says specifically bombs.
    Healing only applies on Bomb Explosions, not Grnades.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am trying to see how the Engineer works... I am but level 8, but already I can see I need to learn to play with more keys.

Do you guys switch often between weapon kits, healing kits, and utility belt? Seams to me that it requires alot of effort.

Should Engineers actually be using turrets in solo PvE play or does that just slow things down? My lil Engineer has been using them because his damage is so bad and he needs the help, but they seem cumbersome and a chore to keep putting down and picking up.

I also confess that I don't like the Flamethrower kit (range seems too short and I have to stand too much and eat hits) and one of the other kits (bomb? Grenade? Not sure) required a ground target for just about everything which I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Should Engineers actually be using turrets in solo PvE play or does that just slow things down? My lil Engineer has been using them because his damage is so bad and he needs the help, but they seem cumbersome and a chore to keep putting down and picking up.

I also confess that I don't like the Flamethrower kit (range seems too short and I have to stand too much and eat hits) and one of the other kits (bomb? Grenade? Not sure) required a ground target for just about everything which I hate.
    I don't see turrets as viable until they make the picking up ability part of them put the CD at 0, otherwise it's too hard to move them and I think they die too quick. Though I didn't run with the self-repair and stuff talents.

Yes, the flamethrower kit requires you to be close but I believe it does the most damage out of anything we have (except grenade barrage 'F' ability from grenade kit).

Grenade kit is what you're thinking of that requires ground target.

Personally as I've stated, I run power/healing/toughness/condition damage and run with rifle, healing pack, grenade kit, flamethrower kit and elixer gun kit. You have 2 knockbacks (flamethrower and rifle), 2 blinds (grenade and flamethrower), an incapacitate (rifle net), a slow (grenade frost bomb), 2 AoE condition removal (Elixer gun 5 and 3), big damage from grenades/flamethrower for close aoe and ranged aoe, heal on elixer gun F ability, buff on medkit F ability. Just learn to rotate through things depending on the situation and you are an important aspect to single or group play. With a mob that isn't immune to CCs like a champion DE you can kite the mob forever and never be hit by rotating through your slows and blinds while still doing decent damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to dealing with multiple mobs I reckon I'd be pretty screwed without Thumper. It takes jack-all damage (or it has a ton of health) and a huge knockback, I've almost never seen a Thumper die from mob hits.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    I still kinda wish turrets were the profession mechanic bar, but then there wouldn't be useful toolbelt skills. :<
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I still kinda wish turrets were the profession mechanic bar, but then there wouldn't be useful toolbelt skills. :<
    I'm very glad they didn't do that. I'm not a huge turret fan, the Engineer has much more variation with the toolbelt skills as it is now.
    I haven't used one turret yet that didn't come from Supply Crates.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    I am trying to see how the Engineer works... I am but level 8, but already I can see I need to learn to play with more keys.

Do you guys switch often between weapon kits, healing kits, and utility belt? Seams to me that it requires alot of effort.
    I actually think people are quick to overuse switching. In some cases it's great obviously, and necessary if you plan to go anywhere. But a lot of people seem to think just throwing every kit on there is a good idea. In the end, you're going to specialize on a particular build which in most cases won't have more than one kit. In PvP I switch quite frequently for utility purposes (See my elixir gun build for example) but in PvE I often do not switch out of my kit a lot because that just makes me lose DPS as the utility skills aren't as necessary there. Which has pretty much rang true for every build I've used thus far where I focus on one kit and one kit only.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    Ugh, well the grenade kit is a special case for sure that needs more attention from ArenaNet. It's probably the kit I like the least which is a real shame, because I love the concept. But often it's not worth the limitations you put on yourself by using it. You can of course try it for yourself in PvP quite easily by just making an Engineer right now but in most situations you'll fall behind on damage compared to other builds while still everything being a 'skill shot' (So manual targeting every single attack). It certainly doesn't reward you enough for what it asks of you to use and currently I wouldn't say it's worth going for. (Of course if you love it, by all means go for it)

It's quite funny, because using the Grenade Kit underwater actually makes it way better because underwater all the abilities are an automatic lock-on and not skillshots.
    Last edited by mmocdf265024f7; 2012-09-18 at 08:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haasth View Post
    I'm very glad they didn't do that. I'm not a huge turret fan, the Engineer has much more variation with the toolbelt skills as it is now.
    I haven't used one turret yet that didn't come from Supply Crates.
    Which is a damn shame. I admit to being kind of a Turret Fan in any game they're available in, but my biggest reason for rolling the class was for the turrets. I imagined dodging around with 2 pistols, shooting glue and gadgets all over the place, setting up turrets and collapsing them to take them everywhere with me.

Was disappointed to learn that setting up a rifle turret isn't even as much added damage as throwing a one stack apply-and-forget burn on a target. They're basically there for one-hit-temp-tanks. Not to mention the stupidly long CDs on them. I mean come on, one or the other here. Respectable damage that can actually be used in a DPS CD-fashion or low, drop before every pull fashion.

Needless to say, I was a little upset knowing that my engineer was playing more like a saboteur or a carbomber than an actual engineer who.. you know.. builds things.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Which is a damn shame. I admit to being kind of a Turret Fan in any game they're available in, but my biggest reason for rolling the class was for the turrets. I imagined dodging around with 2 pistols, shooting glue and gadgets all over the place, setting up turrets and collapsing them to take them everywhere with me.

Was disappointed to learn that setting up a rifle turret isn't even as much added damage as throwing a one stack apply-and-forget burn on a target. They're basically there for one-hit-temp-tanks. Not to mention the stupidly long CDs on them. I mean come on, one or the other here. Respectable damage that can actually be used in a DPS CD-fashion or low, drop before every pull fashion.

Needless to say, I was a little upset knowing that my engineer was playing more like a saboteur or a carbomber than an actual engineer who.. you know.. builds things.
    I don't see how it is a shame. If turrets would be the 'profession specific skill' they would be forced upon you. Now they are an option, giving the Engineer more playstyles than just that one. If you want to go with them, you can do so. The issue right now is that they are.. well far from optimal which, given time, should be resolved. In the world of MMOs balance is an ever shifting thing after all.

Then again, they still have yet to fix pretty much all the issues kits have (Statistics from main weapons not carrying over, auto-attacking not saving etc) since BWE1. :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    Turrets need to be buffed a lot or put on a smaller cd.
    At the moment, I'm 80 and I'm grenade + elixir build (elixirs that buff the grenades) and 10 points in rifle for the weakness thing on crit.
    It's probably by far the strongest setup at the moment for engineers in pve.

I really want to be rifle + turrets, but it does not seem overly viable at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haasth View Post
    I don't see how it is a shame. If turrets would be the 'profession specific skill' they would be forced upon you. Now they are an option, giving the Engineer more playstyles than just that one. If you want to go with them, you can do so. The issue right now is that they are.. well far from optimal which, given time, should be resolved. In the world of MMOs balance is an ever shifting thing after all.

Then again, they still have yet to fix pretty much all the issues kits have (Statistics from main weapons not carrying over, auto-attacking not saving etc) since BWE1. :'(
    I fully understand what you're saying, but we're coming at this two different ways. You're speaking from a performance in-game stand point and I'm mostly speaking aesthetically. I love the idea of the turrets more than their performance. I just think an engineer represents a person who tinkers and builds, not just someone who blows shit up. (In fact, that normally signifies a pretty failed engineer, yes?)

Most of the time, I run around with a full turret build, but outside of defense events, you'll never actually see them all out at the same time. The CDs on them are silly. Some fights take 10-15 seconds or less, why use a turret here with the current set up? However, if you could just retrieve the turret, have it's CD completely reset and have it ready for the next pull, it'd be a hell of a lot more fun.

If they were buffed, it wouldn't force anyone to use them. That's silly, especially in this game. That's like saying all warriors should use a greatsword or they're doing it wrong. High, or even most damage doesn't make something the only option. It just makes it AN option so you don't feel like you're wasting other people's time in a dungeon.

Opinions being opinions, really.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how making turrets actually decent would have them forced upon you. Currently they are not good, at all. They get 1 shotted by anything in dungeons/big events, which is a problem even more so considering they seem to get insane aggro immediatly half the time. Their damage is not that good and they are on really long cooldowns, which dont actually restart untill after they are destroyed, not when you put them down.

Ritualists faced similar issues in gw1 with spirits, untill about 2-3 years later when arenanet got off their asses and gave us a pve only skill to move them to our position and heal them, as long as they were still within a specific range. Also spirits cooldowns started when placed, not when destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically combine issue of Shaman totems (unmovable) on top of the issue of Hunter/Warlock pets getting destroyed in PvE, and you get....Engineer turrets! Except turrets die even faster and have a a vastly smaller attack radius.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze