Poll: Which is the Best Martial Art?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Against each other? I'd say that Aikido is probably the best, it's a martial art that teaches you how to defend yourself and use counter attacks. There's no better attack than a good defense right?

krav maga tbh... their training is fucking brutal , and they train purely for what actually works, no flashy spinning high kicks and other showboating
    there's a reason police and military all over the world get trained in this

I don't know if one is best, but honestly, I don't care what fighting skills are known, I wouldn't want to face off with a genuine traditionally trained Shaolin monk. The whole calm, peaceful posture, expression but move in a flash always impresses me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    But its a theoretical question that can never be answered because it can never happen. No two people are identical, infact one person is never the same, today he will be something different from tomorrow. Not only is it down to the individual, it is down to the individual moment and circumstances.

Pitting martial arts againsts other martial arts is just fluff, the best fighters win, the best individuals.

Also

Kyokushin - Is Japanese Karate, a modified form of Okinawan, no simularities or anything taken from Muay Thai.

JKD - The way of no way, or "Using no way as a way" JKD is basically mixed martial arts, there are no solid forms or patterns, that is the whole point of it, you use what is useful for you and dump the rest, so saying it takes from Muay Thai would almost suggest it holds a form or pattern of doing things, which is against the point of it.
    So basically, you're answer is that you don't have an answer. Ok.

Kyokushin does actually have techniques derived from Muay Thai, specifically most of it's below the belt work. Low and mid-level roundhouse kicks strike with the shin whereas the Okinawan styles strike with the instep. Additionally, all of the low block techniques are done with the shins. This is unique in Japanese systems. Mas Oyama was a cosmopolitan and fought all over the world, including Thailand.

If you'd read Bruce Lee's books, you'd know that the took useful techniques from a wide variety of systems, including, but not limited to Muay Thai.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Deleted
    The one who is mentally the strongest and is / or the fastest and with knowledge of pressure points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    No capoeira? I'm sure kicking people while dancing is an effective fighting style.

Deleted
    Special version of Kempo is used in Slovenian special forces.
    Demonstration:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Against each other? I'd say that Aikido is probably the best, it's a martial art that teaches you how to defend yourself and use counter attacks. There's no better attack than a good defense right?
    A great deal of martial arts operates on this principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    So basically, you're answer is that you don't have an answer. Ok.

Kyokushin does actually have techniques derived from Muay Thai, specifically most of it's below the belt work. Low and mid-level roundhouse kicks strike with the shin whereas the Okinawan styles strike with the instep. Additionally, all of the low block techniques are done with the shins. This is unique in Japanese systems. Mas Oyama was a cosmopolitan and fought all over the world, including Thailand.

If you'd read Bruce Lee's books, you'd know that the took useful techniques from a wide variety of systems, including, but not limited to Muay Thai.
    And if you read Bruce Lee's books you would know that JKD is individual and that nothing is set in stone, to use what is useful to the individual person and discard the rest.

"Using no way, as a way".

It is not a martial art, it is a philosophy.

My answer to the question of which is best is simple, none of them are.

John beats Dave, Kung fu does not beat Karate.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone needs to explain to me how Kyokushin works. From the competition fights that i've seen on youtube, it seems very weird, specially when the fighters are up close punching each other on the stomach.

From a Shotokan point of view, it's just....weird. I practice Shotokan, but even i admit that it's competition is retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends more on the fighter than martial art itself , but combat systems designed for military, so to kill enemy asap > martial arts for showing off / sports

Depends on whether it's a martial "art" (focusing on aesthetics, philosophy behind it, etc.) or an efficient way of killing somebody in close quarters (like some special forces are trained to).

/offtopic: But damn, aikido looks beautiful.
    Last edited by Mercadi; 2012-09-21 at 03:20 AM.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    And if you read Bruce Lee's books you would know that JKD is individual and that nothing is set in stone, to use what is useful to the individual person and discard the rest.

"Using no way, as a way".

It is not a martial art, it is a philosophy.

My answer to the question of which is best is simple, none of them are.

John beats Dave, Kung fu does not beat Karate.
    Tao of Jeet Kune Do specifically mentions the integration of Muay Thai knees, elbows, and kicks. If you want to say that's just for Bruce Lee's personal use or whatever, fine. The fact remains that a man who dedicated his life to perfecting his fighting ability looked around for the best techniques and dipped into Muay Thai for a lot of his writing on striking.

More to the point, the essence of JKD isn't "hey, do whatever man," it's about discarding the formality of the martial arts and focusing on techniques that maximize economy of movement and force. In the 1960s, that was an incendiary idea in East Asian martial arts circles, particularly Kung Fu. Today, it's taken as an article of faith.

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 03:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Someone needs to explain to me how Kyokushin works. From the competition fights that i've seen on youtube, it seems very weird, specially when the fighters are up close punching each other on the stomach.

From a Shotokan point of view, it's just....weird. I practice Shotokan, but even i admit that it's competition is retarded.
    Kyokushin doesn't allow punching to the face in competitions anymore. Since Kyokushin fights are generally bare knuckle, people were hurting each other pretty badly. Personally, I wish they had just gone with gloves instead, but oh well.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

10+ Year Old Account
    But the distance at which it happens is weird, in fact there's no distance. Both them are at a hugging distance of themselves repeatedly throwing punches and occasionally taking a step back to try and hit with a kick.

Deleted
    Most of the martial arts got so much bullshit in them which doesn't simply work. The only ones which work realistically in a fight for example are BJJ, Judo, Muya Thai, MMA, boxing and kickboxing. I think krav maga might work as well, but I don't know a thing about it. Examples on martial arts which don't work in real fights are karate, kung fu, taekwondo and so on. Someone might like karate and it's okay, but if you think it's handy for something you are terribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by VelmuVeera View Post
    Most of the martial arts got so much bullshit in them which doesn't simply work. The only ones which work realistically in a fight for example are BJJ, Judo, Muya Thai, MMA, boxing and kickboxing. I think krav maga might work as well, but I don't know a thing about it. Examples on martial arts which don't work in real fights are karate, kung fu, taekwondo and so on. Someone might like karate and it's okay, but if you think it's handy for something you are terribly wrong.
    I think another person who misses the point. MMA is not a martial art, it is a mix of different arts, if you mix karate and kung fu that would be MMA, but oh you just said those don't realistically work. BJJ is not going to help you in a streetbrawl much, unless you like getting stamped on and kicked in the head. Boxing is only swinging punches, just like Tae Kwon Do is mostly only swinging kicks, both are fighting styles better suited to competition, but both can be equally deadly from the right fighter. Kickboxing originates from Karate, which is split into many different forms (karate isnt just karate). In some places Kickboxing is Karate, in others it is closer to Muay Thai, originally it is a mix of Karate, Muay Thai and Western Boxing, so kickboxing itself is a form of MMA.

If you think that someone who is well trained in karate and who is himself physically trained and conditioned that he is going to be useless in a fight then you must be terribly wrong. It is all down to the individual and how one trains. If you think that Karate is all about katas, or that kung fu is all about jumping around pretending you are a snake then you are terribly wrong. George St Pierre is one of the best fighters in the world, he started with a base of karate, which can still be seen in his current highly developed MMA fighting style.

Like I said, it isn't the art, it's the individual, saying that one art is useless "bcuz" is to be fairly clueless. It's down to the fighter, there is a whole lot more going on in the training of a good fighter.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-09-21 at 05:35 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Where is Wrestling. It is a proven fact that Wrestling is the superior martial art.

10+ Year Old Account
    what, no shaq fu?! this is an outrage!

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

15+ Year Old Account
    Kimbo Slice
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Slap-fighting and biting imo