10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaynot View Post
    I have to disagree here, most of the pro teams(esp chinese) do indeed draft only from the certain hero pool, but there are plenty of teams who come up with their own thing like Na´vi did with Juggernaut and Void picks during TI2.
    Or for example Axe was picked several times before TI2, during Defense or Dreamcast im not sure which one anymore.But every once in a while teams do draft unusually.

On topic of Omni, during one of the talkdota´s someone asked Puppey why he wasnt picked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Q0AW0xRNk 08:20
    So if I heard that right, Omni isn't used because he takes too much effort to play?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Wapetufo View Post
    Hi guys, I goe invited to the beta a couple of weeks ago, but unfortunately my PC at the time could not run it well (yeah it was trash). I have another pc now, however I've run into a problem. My steam library was empty on the new pc, even after verification, I searched "Dota 2" in the store and it said I already owned the game (I assumed because of the beta), I downloaded it but it's only the spectator client and apparently I need to purchase the game. Has something changed? is the beta over? Or is this a bug?
    I haven't actually played in a while, but watching a game in the beta (not the spectator thing) worked fine and i didn't see any news about it going out of beta testing.
    Are all you games in the library gone? Maybe its a sync issue?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapetufo View Post
    yeah my library is empty.
    And you're 100% certain that you were actually invited to the beta? You see, a while ago Valve added a spectator client for Dota 2, which allowed people not actually in the beta to install the game and watch games from the client. They did this to boost hype for The International 2.

Just make absolutely sure that you actually got invited into the beta and not just got the spectator client, because if you got it "a few weeks ago" then it matches the release of the spectator client perfectly.

Anyway, the game is still in beta, so if you actually got an invite you should be able to get in, contact valve support would be my advice. They're usually pretty good with this stuff.

Deleted
    Review of Dota2 from PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/dota-2-review/3/
    It isn't a real quality review though because the author just tells his personal experiences from a few games.
    Last edited by mmoc4d2020beea; 2012-09-23 at 12:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post

It isn't a real quality review though because the author just tells his personal experiences from a few games.
    It's a pretty fair review. I'd drop the score considerably due to the ridiculously toxic community and, in my opinion, weak method of dealing with them (LP games are often more fun and better-matched than regular games!), but Dota 2 isn't "done," yet. There's a lot to learn, but it's Valve - there will be tutorials, and those tutorials will be awesome. And failing that, lots of free info on the internet.

I'm amused as hell that the reviewer, being a complete noob to Dota, is apparently only playing carries.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post

After 100 hours of Dota 2, I can’t even see the bottom. I’m not even sure there is one.
    Silly statement, but I'm glad he made. It's nice to see someone play both LoL and DotA and recognize just how vastly more detailed DotA is.

Unfortunately, it does have a ceiling, one that is relatively low (in my opinion). It can leave veterans such as myself extremely frustrated in almost 100% of their games due to allies who just can't compare. That's team games I guess, but DotA is really one of the easier games I have played that can still consider itself competitive. Being good doesn't require insane APM, it doesn't require awesome micro, it doesn't require huge psychological strategy. All it really requires is knowledge, as the author of the article pointed out, a gigantic colossal mountain of knowledge.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-09-23 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    It's a pretty fair review. I'd drop the score considerably due to the ridiculously toxic community and, in my opinion, weak method of dealing with them (LP games are often more fun and better-matched than regular games!), but Dota 2 isn't "done," yet. There's a lot to learn, but it's Valve - there will be tutorials, and those tutorials will be awesome. And failing that, lots of free info on the internet.

I'm amused as hell that the reviewer, being a complete noob to Dota, is apparently only playing carries.
    So you think the community should affect the review of the game? Have you actually ever played a game with a better community? It's exactly the same anywhere on the internet, but because in dota you depend on your teammates and communication you'll just notice it easier and the rotten people always stand out.

And you're really mistaken if you think Valve or anyone else will start handing out permanent bans to people who behave ill, partially because almost anyone does it from time to time. And you think bragging about reporting 200 people for "bad manners" is ever going to do anything except get all your future reports flagged as spam, which I can guarantee has already happened. The day they start banning the shit of the community, you should be first.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-09-23 at 01:42 PM.

Actually, I would argue that DotA is one of the nicer communities. In my experience, LoL is getting worse than DotA, and the more casual games always seem to attract, well, casuals...who often times end up being the 12 year old CoD players that make the internet such a dirty place. I think DotA is sort of self resistant to this behavior because it promotes an elite community due to having such a cliff of a learning curve.

Of course, it IS still the internet.

It's apparently really hard to grasp so here's how you report players with the incredibly complex system:

Text abuse

Reportable: "OMG YOU PIECE OF SHIT OF SHIT I HOPE YOU GET CANCER AND DIE AND I WILL SHIT ON YOUR GRAVE" 10x in chat all game long. Time stamp and description added to the report.
    Not reportable: "omg noob mid gg" "this pudge is so bad"

Voice abuse

Same as above but in VOIP.

Intentional Ability Abuse

Reportable: Chen continuosly teleporting you to base, Tiny Tossing you to enemies. Add timestamp to report.
    Not reportable: Tiny tossing you once by accident, Dazzle not graving you.

Intentional Feeding

Reportable: Player declaring "mid or feed" and suicing repeatedly to enemy towers when his demands are not met. Timestamp the exact moment they declared in chat that they will feed on purpose and when the feeding began.
    Not reportable: noob pudge went 1-16 pls report

Other things that aren't reportable: Leaving games, going afk for a few minutes in the well. That's what the abandonment tracking is for.
    Other things that are reportable: Staying in well for 10+ minutes while occassionally leaving to dodge AFK detection, counts as IAA. Leaving games and destroying your items or dropping items to enemies.

Anything that isn't here that isn't obvious griefing is probably not reportable, and feeding bullshit reports will probably end up with your future reports going straight to trashcan. If you did a 100 reports without seeing the pop-up, this is more than likely.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-09-23 at 03:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Actually, I would argue that DotA is one of the nicer communities. In my experience, LoL is getting worse than DotA, and the more casual games always seem to attract, well, casuals...who often times end up being the 12 year old CoD players that make the internet such a dirty place. I think DotA is sort of self resistant to this behavior because it promotes an elite community due to having such a cliff of a learning curve.

Of course, it IS still the internet.
    I can't say how much I agree with you. Actually, since I started playing DotA 2 , nobody called me a newbie and such, even if I was a complete idiot. Some of them even taught me how to & shit.

About the lol community, I don't know what to say. I'd post some screenshots and show you how shitty it is.

The biggest problem i have when playing Dota2 is probably the damn shop and courier. Sure, im a noob, but its like they made some things much harder than it could be, just to make the already steep learning curve even steeper. The shops default interface setting is weird and i cant figure out how to save it. Some item combinations from base shop, side shop and secret shop, that can turn into unexpected results is annoying. But i feel i got the shop pretty much mastered.

The little courier bugger, well... motherfuck.
    Even picking heroes is a mess and saving settings doesn't work.
    I really hope they fix some things and add other tools to help us uninitiated someday and im pretty sure they will.

Interesting that the PC Gamer review mentions how much deeper Dota2 is, or seems to be, than LoL. Thats exactly how i feel as well but i cant really point out why. BTW, I dont want to start a LoL vs Dota2 thing.

For now i like to play the "easy" support and gank heroes hoping i get carried but if the carry fails he usually gets the blame and not me. x2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    So you think the community should affect the review of the game?
    Not for every game, but for a game like Dota, where you're stuck in a game with four other people for 30-45 minutes and are punished for leaving early? Yeah, I think it matters, enough so that I think the game's score should take the community into account.

After all, when someone fires up the game and queues for a match, they will be dealing with that community literally every single time they play.

Have you actually ever played a game with a better community?
    ANY game with private servers, where the players can keep the garbage out rather than having to rely on slow, inconsistent automated systems and anonymous reporting to do it.

It's exactly the same anywhere on the internet, but because in dota you depend on your teammates and communication you'll just notice it easier and the rotten people always stand out.
    Agreed. You're going to notice the douchebags a lot more when you're being teamed up with them (this is also what made pubbing battlegrounds in WoW so frustrating 80% of the time, for example.) It becomes frustration cubed when you're teamed up with them and you don't have a way of getting away from it - you can't switch teams, you can't change servers, and if you decide you've had it with them and leave early, you're (correctly) punished for it.

And you're really mistaken if you think Valve or anyone else will start handing out permanent bans to people who behave ill, partially because almost anyone does it from time to time. And you think bragging about reporting 200 people for "bad manners" is ever going to do anything except get all your future reports flagged as spam, which I can guarantee has already happened. The day they start banning the shit of the community, you should be first.
    Why? Because I expect people on the internet to treat each other with some fucking decency and civility?

---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 12:08 PM ----------

It's apparently really hard to grasp so here's how you report players with the incredibly complex system:

Text abuse
    "this pudge is so bad"
    Counts as harassment. Are you saying that harassment should be tolerated?

Additionally: shouldn't there be an actual punishment? I've played low priority games as a result of bailing out of awful games on occasion and, on the whole, they're no worse than regular MM games and frequently better. Sure, you run into the usual trashmouth Russians who do nothing but flame and rage (interchangeable with Brazilians, but in my experience BRs tend to just stay quiet most of the time), but I run into those on a fairly consistent basis in regular matchmaking, too.

Really, it seems like the only difference between LP and regular queue is that LP queues are a little bit longer. I've heard people say that if your regular queue goes long enough (I've had some pretty long ones, 5+ minutes with the search bar being almost completely full), it'll start pulling people from LP; that seems far-fetched (isn't LP supposed to be a punishment?), but it's believable when you spent six minutes in a regular MM queue and wound up with a team of Brazilians.

its not harassment
    for me trashtalk is just part of dota
    of course im not flaming hardcore but a little bit of trolling is always nice

e.g. my friend is playing mid pudge so i start talking to his opponent
    while hes responding pudge can easily hook him ;p
    Last edited by Finear; 2012-09-23 at 05:41 PM.

Not for every game, but for a game like Dota, where you're stuck in a game with four other people for 30-45 minutes and are punished for leaving early? Yeah, I think it matters, enough so that I think the game's score should take the community into account.
    And? Do you see game reviewers say they launched up latest cod and somebody called them a faggot, game score 4/10? Do you think there's a magic button the game developers can press to make the community better? Let's forget about working on the tutorials and new hero ports, let's just ban everyone this shitkid pizzashark reports and him too when he finally snaps and rages at someone, that way we'll have a dead game in no time.

Why? Because I expect people on the internet to treat each other with some fucking decency and civility?
    No, it's because you're just as bad as everyone you ever reported but pretend like you're better than them. Like you're entitled to cleaner community when all you do is bitch and moan about it and abuse the report system.

Yes, you should tolerate harassment to some degree or stay away from communicating with anonymous strangers. Or if you actually get pissed off at a mild comment that moderately offends your supposed gaming skill and want to waste someones time reviewing another piece of shit report you should just play with bots. Probably better than your normal hell tier MM too if LPQ is better. In your case you should probably stay away from communicating with anyone, for their sake.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-09-23 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And? Do you see game reviewers say they launched up latest cod and somebody called them a faggot, game score 4/10? Do you think there's a magic button the game developers can press to make the community better? Let's forget about working on the tutorials and new hero ports, let's just ban everyone this shitkid pizzashark reports and him too when he finally snaps and rages at someone, that way we'll have a dead game in no time.
    Do you think gaming communities will be better if the developers simply don't give a shit, if they don't make any effort to try and weed out the douchebags and griefers? Do you really think that there'd be as much tolerance or apathy towards it if people really knew, knew, the dev cared enough to take action against people that can't be civil?

No, it's because you're just as bad as everyone you ever reported but pretend like you're better than them. Like you're entitled to cleaner community when all you do is bitch and moan about it and abuse the report system.
    You talk a lot of shit for someone who's never even known me. I don't fucking rage at people, I don't fucking attack them like you do. If I have a problem with them, I mute them and report them and continue on my way. It's not worth getting angry or even mildly irritated over. That doesn't mean I think it's something that's not worth working towards doing something about.

Yes, you should tolerate harassment to some degree or stay away from communicating with anonymous strangers. Or if you actually get pissed off at a mild comment that moderately offends your supposed gaming skill and want to waste someones time reviewing another piece of shit report you should just play with bots. Probably better than your normal hell tier MM too if LPQ is better. In your case you should probably stay away from communicating with anyone, for their sake.
    I like how you actually think there's an MMR system in place, or that it means jack shit. I guess if you crave the need to feel superior to people, it's there. Otherwise, I've noticed no difference between first page games and my games other than my games don't have the occasional odd pro player drop in to poop on everyone.

At any rate, I'm really wondering why you're so apathetic about people not having any fucking civility or decency in games. Do you think that because you're sitting in front of a computer screen, you aren't interacting with other people? Or do you lie to yourself and everyone else and act like a massive twat online because you know you're shielded by anonymity?

---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    its not harassment
    for me trashtalk is just part of dota
    of course im not flaming hardcore but a little bit of trolling is always nice
    It can be fun, but there's a line between taking the piss out and actively attacking someone.

It's pretty simple to understand where that line is: would you say what you want to say to someone's face?

e.g. my friend is playing mid pudge so i start talking to his opponent
    while hes responding pudge can easily hook him ;p
    Pff, everyone knows to stay at least 1500 range away from Pudge when they feel the need to say something in allchat

I like how you actually think there's an MMR system in place, or that it means jack shit.
    I like your subtle implication that there isn't one and that it doesn't work when anyone who's played the game knows better.

I don't think much of myself as a player, but my method of improving the community consists of trying to set a good example in the games I play in, reporting people who actually should be reported, and I get the pop-up fairly often when I've done so. Which I'm sure is 1000 times more productive than moaning on forums because the community its sooo toxic all fucking scumbag douchebags and trolls and russians fuck this gameid see this guy feeds and blames teams fuck that guy why is he allowed to play the game why can scumbags breathe same air as me fuck report so toxic why doesn't valve ban everyone to stop this toxic thing i mean my face is so poisonously toxic fuuuuuck.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-09-24 at 02:26 AM.

You really are overly obsessed with this Manni.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like your subtle implication that there isn't one and that it doesn't work when anyone who's played the game knows better.
    Oh, I know there's an MMR system. I'm saying that it doesn't mean jack shit, because you see garbage players in first-page games very consistently.

Well you get an MMR penalty for queueing with friends, it gets worse as team size gets bigger. The front page of games is nearly guaranteed to be teams of 4 or 5. It's always nice, for me, to solo queue and see 450 spectators notification pop up and know that I just rolled my way into some annoying miniskrim.

If you have a team of 5 you don't have to be the best players to get the top page, but your MMR would still have to be reasonably high. Theoretically that means you are at least decent, if you see bad play in a top game it's more likely the person is just screwing around, in my opinion. I've definitely been in 800 spectator games where my entire team randomed and got four carries so SF decided to go aura/stats and buy support items/etc.

Most of my games someone on either team is just absolutely horrid and does not deserve to be in the game with the rest of us, that tends to be how matchmaking balances games. In my experience with page 1 games, though, there is rarely someone who just flat out doesn't fit skill wise. At least, more rare than page 2-10 games.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-09-24 at 09:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen evenly matched games but I've also seen a lot of games where there was a Leoric who skilled aura and crit before stun and built Sange and Yasha, or a Clockwerk that did nothing but feed and talked shit all game. I guess it's possible these types are just having a bad game, but it most of the time it seems like the mistakes and errors they're making aren't due to just a momentary lapse in judgement.