Poll: Dwarf

Yes the movie is a Trilogy now (They announced it a month or 2 ago) ..

I believe the idea behind it is to make a better link between The Hobbit and LOTR ... They are taking information from different sources (Appendices of Return of the King and any other inbetween information they can get) and are going to "Fill in the Gap".

I was wondering for a little while why on earth they were putting Legolas in 'The Hobbit' movies. Sure he's the Prince of Mirkwood, but he was never actually IN the book, so I'm assuming now that his part will be in the Third movie. Regardless it shall be a 3 parter and I'm EXTREMELY excited to see what they do for the third movie. And thank God for Mists of Pandaria, it will be my distraction until December, the months should go fairly quickly with it to focus on

Quote Originally Posted by Gorged View Post
    Well all the dwarves are full cgi'd and tbh you cant even tell that some are 6ft plus actors.
    Wait what? Did you mean to say they ARE NOT CGI? I have full faith in Peter Jackson to make it all work, if you go back and watch some of the Behind the Scenes on FOTR you'll see just the extraordinary amount of work, effort and time that went into ensuring that it always looked like the characters were the right Height.

In one of the Production Vids they show that Beorn's House is built to the scale of a Hobbit, and it's HUGE. Complete with just insanely intricate wood carvings, tables, chairs EVERYTHING. They put so much effort into LOTR and it looks like at least equal if not more effort is being put into these movies.
    Last edited by Daverid; 2012-09-21 at 01:27 AM.

I'm not sure if this is entirely correct but I don't think the dwarves and hobbits are not what you would call typical CGI. I remember reading somwhere they use some kind of camera trick to do with distance to make people of ordinary height appear shorter compared to others.

Of course a little CGI will be involved to polish that off.

Also like mentioned above some sets are just built bigger to make actors look smaller.

Deleted
    Looks pretty good. The trailer has a good adventurous feel. But i cant remember Galadrial from the book.
    And is that Radagast with the hedgehog? First i thought they had written Bombadil in due to lack of appereance in Lotr - but i can se Radagast is creditet so i guess that would be him - with his own rabbit(?)sledge? And Dol Guldur on top of Mirkwood.
    Prolly shouldnt expect it to be completely by the book, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Looks pretty good. The trailer has a good adventurous feel. But i cant remember Galadrial from the book.
    And is that Radagast with the hedgehog? First i thought they had written Bombadil in due to lack of appereance in Lotr - but i can se Radagast is creditet so i guess that would be him - with his own rabbit(?)sledge? And Dol Guldur on top of Mirkwood.
    We know in The Hobbit that Gandalf left the group to fight the Necromancer. We know in LotR that Gandalf did that with the White Council in which there was Saruman, Radagast, Elrond and Galadriel. Dol Guldur was the Necromancer's stronghold in southern Mirkwood. Radagast's rabbits are not in any books as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    I would *think* it's trying to fill in the details as to what Gandalf does behind the scenes that aren't in the book, which I'm sure somewhere out there is described in detail. I don't see anything wrong with that myself, in fact I think it may make the story clearer as to the purpose of it.

With the prequel trilogy format, this is almost begging for comparison with the Star Wars prequels...

Although while The Hobbit is inherently more kid-friendly and lighthearted than LOTR, hopefully PJ succeeds where Lucas failed, in keeping just the right amount of drama and seriousness to not have it feel completely alien from the original movies. Adding behind-the-scenes ties and connections with the LOTR plot, via Gandalf, could make that work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzak View Post
    With the prequel trilogy format, this is almost begging for comparison with the Star Wars prequels...

Although while The Hobbit is inherently more kid-friendly and lighthearted than LOTR, hopefully PJ succeeds where Lucas failed, in keeping just the right amount of drama and seriousness to not have it feel completely alien from the original movies. Adding behind-the-scenes ties and connections with the LOTR plot, via Gandalf, could make that work.
    Very true, but what I think will help make the Hobbit Trilogy worlds better than the star wars prequals is they're based on good material the Hobbit is a fantastic book and as long as PJ doesn't mess with it too much (and after how he handles LoTR we have no reason to assume he will) then it's a guarenteed winner.

Compare this to the Star Wars prequels which GL seemingly made up as he was going along, with only the barest thought to thinks like story, or character development and instead decided to just drown the whole thing in CGI
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

While I wait for this movie released like the rising sun, I'm rather miffed with the whole "make it a trilogy" cash cow.

While I know they add some extra stuff around it to fleshen out the story beyond what Hobbit told, still the book + all the extra writing around that timeframe is only roughly the length of Fellowship of a Ring (give or take 10-20 pages) and should be easily fitted to two movies considering they got all 3 LotR books to fit in 3 movies and they were much larger in scale.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason LoTR is so long is because of the way tolkien(sp)described stuff in it I remember him describing bag end at the start of fellowship of the ring its about a 3 page long description were as in the hobbit he describes bag end in half a page. If he went into the same kind of detail i doubt it would of been a big success seeing as he was aiming it at kids but then again i think it has a better storyline or well it holds you in better than LoTR took me 3 attempts to full read that read the hobbit ina day first time round couldn't put it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    While I wait for this movie released like the rising sun, I'm rather miffed with the whole "make it a trilogy" cash cow.

While I know they add some extra stuff around it to fleshen out the story beyond what Hobbit told, still the book + all the extra writing around that timeframe is only roughly the length of Fellowship of a Ring (give or take 10-20 pages) and should be easily fitted to two movies considering they got all 3 LotR books to fit in 3 movies and they were much larger in scale.
    There's a shortage of good fantasy movies with production value on the level of the LOTR movies. As long as the quality stays at that level I personally have no problem with them milking it, there's plenty of lore that Tolkien wrote, and as long as they stick to the source material I would watch a Silmarillion movie or something based on Hurin or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    There's a shortage of good fantasy movies with production value on the level of the LOTR movies. As long as the quality stays at that level I personally have no problem with them milking it, there's plenty of lore that Tolkien wrote, and as long as they stick to the source material I would watch a Silmarillion movie or something based on Hurin or whatever.
    I'd vote for Beren and Luthien first. There is action, two good vilains (Sauron and Morgoth) and romance comparable to Tristan and Iseult. And a talking dog. What's not to like?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I'd vote for Beren and Luthien first. There is action, two good vilains (Sauron and Morgoth) and romance comparable to Tristan and Iseult. And a talking dog. What's not to like?
    Isn't there a reference to it in Fellowship as well?
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Isn't there a reference to it in Fellowship as well?
    I believe Aragorn mentions the tale to the hobbits when they are camping at Amon Sul. I believe he tells an abridged version though. I can't quite remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I believe Aragorn mentions the tale to the hobbits when they are camping at Amon Sul. I believe he tells an abridged version though. I can't quite remember.
    You are correct, sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    IIRC, he was singing a song that told the story and Frodo asked him who the lady he was singing about was.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    That would be great, but I think the movie going audience needs to learn more about the Silmarils, and that is alone 2 movies worth before you get to Beren.

A great starting point IMO would be the fall of Numenor. It directly ties into LOTR, so the audience would be somewhat familiar, it's almost like a direct prequel, ending with the battle of Dagorlad

Deleted
    We shall see how the movie turns out to be. So far it looks positive and looking forward to it.

Deleted
    Am I the only wait that don't like much the flashback story? :S

If you play a Dwarf in WOW..You will probably feel at home with the Hobbit

Tolkien single handledly created fantasy dwarf type, even tvtropes makes fun of it
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...sAreAllTheSame