Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Love NCSoft and A.net

Just a slight complaint. After retrieving my Guild Wars account after it was hacked after a 2 month hiatus I come back to every single character but one deleted. I learn that they can't even restore deleted characters without rolling back the servers?

Seriously what kind of crap is this; if I get hacked without even playing the game or even remembering that it exists in almost 3 months to losing everything I have worked for in 7 years almost. Seriously NCSoft support is pitiful... I hope they really have this stuff ironed out for Guild Wars 2; or I will be really disappointed.

That's why there is no subscription. Or viceversa

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    That's why there is no subscription. Or viceversa
    That is kind of not why there is no subscription at all.

Deleted
    Account restorations exist in both GW and GW2.
    https://forum.guildwars.com/forum/fo...age/1#post6528

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    That is kind of not why there is no subscription at all.
    Yes it is, among other features that don't exist or exist but have a shoddy functionality. Trust me, this MMO is one that should never have had an subscription in the 1st place, it's simply not worth one.

Deleted
    Only one mmo deserve a sub imo and no its not WoW, but thats another story. They should implent some kind of limited like d3 has (d3 has a limited character restore).

Finally, maybe people will start realizing where their 15$ is really going in an MMO. You've been spoiled, and now expect free customer service to be that of monthly paid customer service. You bought a game, that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Recursiv View Post
    Finally, maybe people will start realizing where their 15$ is really going in an MMO. You've been spoiled, and now expect free customer service to be that of monthly paid customer service. You bought a game, that's it.
    Stop spreading misinformation without first doing some fact-checking, please.

See Barbas' post for accurate information.

More to the OP's real concern: Currently GW2 account restoration is not possible. For whatever reason, they have not finished the tools or backend stuff or whatever. They do plan to very soon have the ability to "roll back" your entire account to a preciously saved state, before you were hacked.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-23 at 10:21 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Recursiv View Post
    um what? I pay a sub for more content, im not paying for extra customer service crap!

Still arenanet should implent some kind of charactet restoration. Apart from this issue speak from experience their customer service has been fantastic!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xizzu View Post
    um what? I pay a sub for more content, im not paying for extra customer service crap!
    First off: This is off-topic - people need to avoid allowing potential troll posters to derail threads with off-topic posts full of nothing but random hate.
    Secondly
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    More to the OP's real concern: Currently GW2 account restoration is not possible. For whatever reason, they have not finished the tools or backend stuff or whatever. They do plan to very soon have the ability to "roll back" your entire account to a preciously saved state, before you were hacked.
    Didn't know that, so my post was not entirely accurate.
    Still, from what I understand OP's GW1 account got hacked, so they've the tools to provide him/her a full restoration.

They really need a character restoration system. Like, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hussao View Post
    They do have one, stop misinforming.
    Last edited by Moinaldo; 2012-09-24 at 01:53 AM.

For whatever reason, they have not finished the tools or backend stuff or whatever.
    It's no "whatever reason", it's a precise reason: no subscription, so they don't care if people "quit". Look at the other crap just happened: the "outage". I mean come on, that's not unprofessional, it's VERY unprofessional.

To be honest, I can't even imagine how that crap could happen. There is no outage in this world that can do that to a serious database system. Every serious database system has a set of properties that guarantees that a transaction is not fucked up: atomicity, consistency, isolation, durability (ACID). Now that durability means that if you commit a transaction, then that data is stored for good even if the power plant explodes. So that "outage" that left people with a lot of lost progress is BULLSHIT.

They do have a character restoration system and an awesome support system. Just look at Guild Wars 2, everything is being answered and delivered as fast as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    They do have one, stop misinforming.
    My understanding is that character restoration only works for GW1, as their more recent word is that they don't have the capabilities to restore characters in GW2.

The game is fantastic, but the secondary systems (AH, forums, account features like character restoration) are kinda not very good.

They're able to restore characters for GW2 (and they have done so already, you can find proof on the various forums). The problem is it isn't in their best interest to do so right now. Too many accounts have been compromised and if they restored the account then they basically duplicated all the items/gold on that account (and the economy is already in shambles). To prevent that from being exploited their official stance is "No restorations" until they get everything under control.

tl;dr
    If you bitch @ support enough you might get lucky and have them finally restore your stuff. IMO it isn't worth the effort (sadly) and I'd just start a new character or drop the game (speak with your wallet, although they already have your money).

Too many accounts have been compromised and if they restored the account then they basically duplicated all the items/gold on that account
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Restore means to roll back to a previous state. If the result of a restore is "duplicate items" that's not restore, it's shit.

They clearly DON'T HAVE a restore feature, because they considered it can work without it as well. Are the people bitching? No problem, they've paid for the game, they can go fuck themselves. If they did have a restore system, then they would just pressed a few buttons, and voila, the account restored, have a nice day.

If they say the system does not exist, one must be really dumb to come up with conspiracy theories that would freak even the most retarded fanboi.

Making a whore new thread to spread BS. Nice.

"We are pleased to announce that in the process of developing tools for Guild Wars 2, our programming team has created a tool that will provide limited restoration options for existing Guild Wars accounts. In the past, account restorations or roll-backs were not technologically possible. With the development of the new tool, our Support Team is ready to move forward with account restorations on a case-by-case basis.

For a Guild Wars game account hacked after October 1, 2011, the Support Team’s new tools will provide the team with the ability to restore many hacked accounts to their pre-hack status. Restorations will be accomplished through the use of a periodic, archived “snapshot” process that will record and store full account details for each Guild Wars account. This means that while the account may not be restored to its status at the exact hour preceding the hack, it can be restored to within a few hours or days of such an event.
    "

If people continue discussing it afer Barb's post and the quote above, you're just looking for a flamefest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hussao View Post
    As of typing this message, they do NOT have a restoration system for guild wars 2. If you're hacked, lost items to a bug or anything else in this fashion, your account in guild wars 2 CANNOT be restored.

They do have a per character roll-back system for guild wars since a while ago however.

And notably, this is indeed one of those things that paying a monthly is spent on in WoW. Much better support, and supporting systems development. When every one of your players is paying a monthly, it's much easier to justify good support to financial department in the company.

Arenanet/NCSoft seem to have an attitude of "what are they going to do, quit the game with no monthly? We already have their money anyway, who cares!" There's very little that can be done about it except being careful with your account and hoping to not hit any critical bugs.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 08:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Making a whore new thread to spread BS. Nice.

"We are pleased to announce that in the process of developing tools for Guild Wars 2, our programming team has created a tool that will provide limited restoration options for existing Guild Wars accounts. In the past, account restorations or roll-backs were not technologically possible. With the development of the new tool, our Support Team is ready to move forward with account restorations on a case-by-case basis.

For a Guild Wars game account hacked after October 1, 2011, the Support Team’s new tools will provide the team with the ability to restore many hacked accounts to their pre-hack status. Restorations will be accomplished through the use of a periodic, archived “snapshot” process that will record and store full account details for each Guild Wars account. This means that while the account may not be restored to its status at the exact hour preceding the hack, it can be restored to within a few hours or days of such an event.
    "

If people continue discussing it afer Barb's post and the quote above, you're just looking for a flamefest.
    How nice of them to tell us that "they have progress in developing a tool that allows for limited restoration" when it appears to rarely if ever work. Hell, they couldn't even get it to work themselves when they had to restore accounts for karma abusers.

Another example of such a quote: "We have had progress in developing a tool for nuclear fusion, that will allow us to build a functional net-gain of energy nuclear fusion plant".
    This is true for several pieces of research as of writing this. Making an actual working nuclear fusion plant that would produce net-gain in energy is still impossible however. We do have several tools that will eventually allow us to build one.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-09-24 at 08:45 AM.