Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

The Mists of Failure experience ...

TLR This was the worst launch I have ever experienced in any game.

Well I have nothing better to do so I will share my experience with you ...
    So I come back to WoW and decide to play MoP, 1 week before launch I upgrade my account, grab a month, upgrade my PC a bit and wait for the launch.
    Since in this period I have a lot of free time, I figure I will try to compete for a realm first then continue casually.
    Launch day, I go ahead and buy a lot of energy drinks, 3 packs of cigarettes and some snacks, log in an hour and a half and wait for the release.
    10 minutes before midnight I place myself near the guy you have to turn in (me and a few hundred more), having played the beta i knew the drill. It was a bit laggy but nothing too much.
    Finally the system message appears, 30 seconds later the quest, 1 minute later the cutscene and then the login screen, so much for not having to log out to enable the xpac.
    2 hours later of logging in and waiting at 90% loading bar, somehow I manage to get in and queue for a random and get in and finish it. Naturally the group queued for another then after finishing it everyone left.
    Figured by then the server has stabilized but the world server and the ~30 seconds delays proved me wrong.
    1 hour and 30mins later once again I get into a random, finish it and now I'm waiting inside for another queue to pop being afraid to leave.
    Overall after 4 hours the outdoor world is unplayable and I'm sitting at 35% xp into 85 while some people are already 87 ... best xpac by far ...

How was it for you?

If lag determines the entire game experience for you on the launch day, you're looking at the wrong things

This is precisely why I'm not planning to play the moment the expansion goes live (US player). I'd much rather wait and avoid the bull rush. Even if the servers worked flawlessly, the zones would be jam packed with countless people all trying to do the same thing. I'd much rather wait a bit and let the herd thin out.

Millions of people trying to play at once. Servers are laggy.

More at 11.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TatManTat View Post
    If lag determines the entire game experience for you on the launch day, you're looking at the wrong things
    Lag is one thing, not being able to play at all while aiming for something other are gaining advantage is another.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    Welcome to your first expension to an MMO, ever. While there were issues, it was a smooth launch, more or less.

If this WASN'T your first expansion to an MMO, please wait patiently while I look for nice and sturdy palm tree to ram your face against.

Lag is one thing, not being able to play at all while aiming for something other are gaining advantage is another.
    This happens with every single MMO. Did you really expect something different?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Well when Million of players rush your servers what do you expect, Rainbow Cookies ??
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Welcome to your first expension to an MMO, ever. While there were issues, it was a smooth launch, more or less.

If this WASN'T your first expansion to an MMO, please wait patiently while I look for nice and sturdy palm tree to ram your face against.
    I've actually played thourgh all WoW expansions and none of them were impossible to play, at least not for more than 30-60min.
    But thanks for being ignorat.

Quote Originally Posted by TatManTat View Post
    Amazing how every other game released in the past 2-3 years hasn't had this problem.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing you never tried playing FFXIV : P

I've actually played thourgh all WoW expansions and none of them were impossible to play, at least not for more than 30-60min.
    Just stop please.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Amazing how every other game released in the past 2-3 years hasn't had this problem.
    Every other MMO(I assume that's what you mean by "game", since other games aren't really comparable) released in the past 2-3 years has less than 1/10th the players WoW has, and I've never seen a lag free MMO release.

10+ Year Old Account
    These threads are so funny. This literally happens every expansion, and I've only experienced 2.

If people would stop taking things so serious, they wouldn't be so let down.

---------- Post added 2012-09-24 at 10:27 PM ----------

Im gonna call BS on this. No way to prove it, I just find it hard to believe.

Ignoring the glaring typo this is by far not the worst expansion release. Keep making a mountain out of a molehill though, it is amusing to read.
    Last edited by ngc2440; 2012-09-25 at 02:29 AM. Reason: forgot a "not" in there, woopies. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    I am not playing MoP but I can say that I saw enough lag in SWToR launch and occasional lag and a few disconnects in GW2, the D3 error screens are a stuff of internet legends.
    Here's hoping MoP does well, launch week can be laggy, at least it's not D3 bad

Well I have nothing better to do so I will share my experience with you ...
    So I come back to WoW and decide to play MoP, 1 week before launch I upgrade my account, grab a month, upgrade my PC a bit and wait for the launch.
    Since in this period I have a lot of free time, I figure I will try to compete for a realm first then continue casually.
    Launch day, I go ahead and buy a lot of energy drinks, 3 packs of cigarettes and some snacks, log in an hour and a half and wait for the release.
    10 minutes before midnight I place myself near the guy you have to turn in (me and a few hundred more), having played the beta i knew the drill. It was a bit laggy but nothing too much.
    Finally the system message appears, 30 seconds later the quest, 1 minute later the cutscene and then the login screen, so much for not having to log out to enable the xpac.
    2 hours later of logging in and waiting at 90% loading bar, somehow I manage to get in and queue for a random and get in and finish it. Naturally the group queued for another then after finishing it everyone left.
    Figured by then the server has stabilized but the world server and the ~30 seconds delays proved me wrong.
    1 hour and 30mins later once again I get into a random, finish it and now I'm waiting inside for another queue to pop being afraid to leave.
    Overall after 4 hours the outdoor world is unplayable and I'm sitting at 35% xp into 85 while some people are already 87 ... best xpac by far ...

How was it for you?
    I take it you missed BC launch...
    and missed Star Wars launch or any time in the past when MMOs had launch queues and crashes. This is good news - it means more people are playing the game than expected

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Every other MMO(I assume that's what you mean by "game", since other games aren't really comparable) released in the past 2-3 years has less than 1/10th the players WoW has, and I've never seen a lag free MMO release.
    What difference does that make? More players doesn't mean more players per server. It's a huge fail on Blizzard's part that they can't get their shit in order after eight years.

Only 1 hour downtime, now everything works, whats your problem?

D3 now that was a mess, MoP is the smoothest release ever compared to D3.
    Pawzz, ArenaJunkies

10+ Year Old Account
    You obviously weren't around for TBC and the disappearing NPCs and server restarts. Nice try though.