10+ Year Old Account

Want a few mods that wont take away from the base game.

So Ive been playing Minecraft stock on and off for a bit. Only survival and Ide like to change it up without feeling like cheating or adding way too much. Something like more creatures/people. Maybe a few new items, just nothing ridiculous like lasers. And lastly maybe a mild skin. Any specifics I should look for? This is coming from a guy who hasent used any mods.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/51-minecraft-mods/ would be your place to look, in case you haven't heard of it.

In any case, if you want more people, I would go with Millenaire, which adds a bunch of different types of villages and people and stuff like that. For creatures, I'd say MoreCreeps & Weirdos, but that mod is kinda over the top imo. Here are my suggestions:

Millenaire (http://millenaire.org) - Adds villages and stuff.
    Better Than Wolves (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...an%20%20wolves) - Adds a lot of crafting, including windmills and it has different tech "ages" to advance through.

There's also ones like Industrial Craft, Buildcraft, and a few others that bring different flavor into the game without messing up balance too much. There's also some quality-of-life types, like Treecapitator (when you chop a tree block, it chops all the blocks above it).

10+ Year Old Account
    Better Than Wolves looked promising. Also Found Mo Creatures, Looks like something I would use.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Personally, I enjoy the Technic Pack. It adds alot of "industrial" aspects to the game.

Mo' Creatures is interesting, but I've been having problems with Ostriches spawning in my house.

Also, might want to check out Better Dungeons. It adds insanely awesome dungeons to the game. Have fun in the Obsidian Labrynth!

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want a fun and challenging mod that (definitely) doesn't make MC overpowered the go for TerraFirma.

It basically reworks the whole game.. Down to basic crafting. You'll end up with an entirely different Minecraft experience without being overpowered. It offers a tonne of new features that you really need to learn all about from minute one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    If you want a fun and challenging mod that (definitely) doesn't make MC overpowered the go for TerraFirma.

It basically reworks the whole game.. Down to basic crafting. You'll end up with an entirely different Minecraft experience without being overpowered. It offers a tonne of new features that you really need to learn all about from minute one.
    TFC isn't anything like vMC, though, it's wholly different.

Better Than Wolves is a good choice that doesn't change from vMC much. Metallurgy 2 is currently in a beta form and leaves vanilla MC pretty much the same, just adding numerous new ores to dig up and smelt and creating a logical tiered progression system with them.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    TFC isn't anything like vMC, though, it's wholly different.
    I think the point of using mods is to get away from the staleness of vanilla anyways. If you're looking for a mod that can provide new and exciting options without "being overpowered" then I think my suggestion is good.

To me at least, I'm not so concerned about balance. The things I enjoy building require a tonne of resources. I cant be spending an hour punching trees and digging sand for no reason. I prefer mods that take the dull aspects out of MC and make actually creating things fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I think the point of using mods is to get away from the staleness of vanilla anyways. If you're looking for a mod that can provide new and exciting options without "being overpowered" then I think my suggestion is good.

To me at least, I'm not so concerned about balance. The things I enjoy building require a tonne of resources. I cant be spending an hour punching trees and digging sand for no reason. I prefer mods that take the dull aspects out of MC and make actually creating things fun.
    Well, TFC is going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people, especially because it heavily crimps the creative aspect of Minecraft; you plain can't get sandstone (or make it) or vanilla bricks, and the cave-in mechanic makes landscaping and using cobblestone without supports (which require you to be in the metal tiers) impossible for normal applications.

There are a lot of other options that don't completely and totally re-write the book on SSP/SMP, so I wouldn't recommend TFC to someone that wants to play an expanded version of vMC.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Twilight Forest is pretty cool. It's a new dimension and adds some new stuff, but it still feels at its core like minecraft. Unlike the Aether which just changes everything.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...nd-new-blocks/
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.