Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Soul Reaper Sucks!

I was looking forward to trying out this new ability and now that I have....I'm very disappointed. It's pretty much worthless for leveling. I play Frost. Due to the RNGy nature of the spec, there is no way to reliably predict when to use Soul Reaper. I keep using it too early or too late. And the Haste buff you get for using it too late doesn't really help anything. I continue to level faster without the damn ability...

If they wanted to implement an ability in such a way, then the effect should have been set to at the most 3 seconds because.....FIVE SECONDS.....is an eternity. Especially in PvP and for an ability that can be dispelled.

Although I agree 5 seconds is a tad long, I love the ability it's great in dungeons and while questing I put it on a target with about 40% health and dots on him then pull another so soul reaper can just finish them off
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulthaz
    Why are they deleting all the topics about this on the official forums?

thats censorship man, fucking unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Its almost like it's a private forum with a set of rules people agreed to follow!

It will be quite useful on Raid Bosses and on pesky forever living healers, they can't dispell everything, that's why dispels are on an 8sec cd. And 50% haste for 10 seconds makes for shitloads of KM procs. And warriors with their second wind can go shove it cause soul reaper will reap their self healing asses.
    Last edited by Raqubor; 2012-09-26 at 01:47 PM.

Deleted
    Soul reaper don't suck at all, no it isn't that great right now with bad gear and the nerf of the duration of the haste makes it less awesome. On the other hand, using it for the haste is rarely wroth it tbh.

As blood, I use it right off the bat, or sometime above 75% depending on how many runes i started the fight with. Onc e the target hits <35% i target swap and repeat, though I just AoE pull everything i can while questing.

Not every ability is useful in every situation, soul reaper is a perfectly valid way to increase dps in group content.

Deleted
    Its great in dungeons and on bosses with adds. If theres lots of adds on a boss you can almost have perma 50% haste

Deleted
    Not all abilities are made for leveling.

Also its amazing for blood, Dancing rune weapon can copy it - usually gives me around 160k combined hits at level 87.

A execute ability not living up to its full potential with mobs that die fast

I fail to see the problem because this is exactly the same as ever other execute (even warrior Execute).

This ability is hilarious once you start doing dungeons.

It goes off like a nuclear bomb if you manage to line up a Pillar of Frost with the 35% execute phase, which is easy to do as hell.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Currently on live the Haste buff from Soul reaper when the target dies is only lasting 5 seconds.

oh common its not that baddd...............

Deleted
    I usually don't have time to use it for actual dps, but the haste buff is pretty cool for chaining packs in 5-mans.

So I guess it's OK, but it's probably gonna be better in raids.

I will say that Soul Reaper works "better" for Unholy, because your damage output is much more steady. It's much easier to predict your targets health five seconds into the future. But even then, 5 seconds is just too long. You won't even run into rune desync problems with Unholy.

But Frost, it just doesn't work out at all. Too much RNG. They should have made Soul Reaper an Unholy-only ability. They could have then used a tweaked version of Death Siphon as the Frost-only execute. As it stands now, Death Siphon is just wasting away in our talent grid anyway.
    Last edited by Clash the DK; 2012-09-27 at 01:25 AM.

As far as blood goes, you really do not need it for leveling and (aside from more DPS) you don't need it for more single target threat.

Think of it as a strange execute..... very strange.

Deleted
    I've been loving Soul Reaper as 2H Frost. Open up with it (don't bother with diseases unless Rime procs) then Oblit/FS your heart out. With good RNG, mob dies before SR blows and you get a haste buff. Bad RNG, and SR finishes the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    It goes off like a nuclear bomb if you manage to line up a Pillar of Frost with the 35% execute phase, which is easy to do as hell.
    Couldn't agree more, I play as unholy (fantastic, going to try out frost later on)
    and this thing crits for 215k+ at 87.

What I'd love for them to do is lower the duration to 3sec, and get a 5sec CD on the ability itself to avoid balance issues.
    5 seconds is a damn long time to wait, and would just be more of a quality of life change instead of huge buff.
    It's awkward to use even as unholy really.
    (Aswell as keeping healers from simply dispelling the darn thing every time)

I'm loving it for leveling. 50% haste speed pulls FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash1 View Post
    I was looking forward to trying out this new ability and now that I have....I'm very disappointed. It's pretty much worthless for leveling. I play Frost. Due to the RNGy nature of the spec, there is no way to reliably predict when to use Soul Reaper. I keep using it too early or too late. And the Haste buff you get for using it too late doesn't really help anything. I continue to level faster without the damn ability...

If they wanted to implement an ability in such a way, then the effect should have been set to at the most 3 seconds because.....FIVE SECONDS.....is an eternity. Especially in PvP and for an ability that can be dispelled.
    For things like leveling and trash mobs it won't be that great, just like every other "execute" like spell. On raid bosses and PvP (possibly) it'll shine. Just because you can't always use an ability doesn't make it suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    For things like leveling and trash mobs it won't be that great, just like every other "execute" like spell. On raid bosses and PvP (possibly) it'll shine. Just because you can't always use an ability doesn't make it suck.
    Yes, but there are only a few areas where the concept of the ability's delayed damage can be utilized or even noticed. It tends to be more of a liability for leveling and trash mobs as it is currently designed. So, that leaves boss fights and PvP. You're not really gonna notice when the ability does it's damage when attacking a boss mob; It's just another button to push in order to get through the fight. And we've already established the problem with RNG and dispells during PvP. So, where is this ill-conceived delayed damage mechanic supposed to shine?

I stand by my opinion that this ability does indeed suck.