Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Cyber Dragons were from the GX cycle right?
    Yeah, I think so. The GX stuff was kinda the tail end of when I played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    Na, Dueling Network lets you make decks and play online, its all free. You just need to make a account, log in and go into the deck creator. Make a deck then go into the duel room and play. Pretty fun, I find it nice since my gf made me quit, and this is a habbit i can do without spending money. lol
    Ah, nice! I'll have to check that out.

15+ Year Old Account
    i was never into card games, but i like the cartoon

Deleted
    I've never played it, I quit the card business when someone stole my whole pokemon collection ;(

I competed in the 2010 World Championship Qualifiers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with Gladiator Beasts. Best deck ever.

Big thanks to Safhira for my Signature!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/llane/Gog…

10+ Year Old Account
    I played it for a little while, but never competitively, at that time I was hooked to MTG already, which costs me enough on its own.
    Yu-Gi-Oh also has a massive power creep due to inefficient testing of cards before they are released. There's only a few competitive decks as well, and rogue decks don't really exist, so I'll stick with magic: the gathering.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

I'm quite lazy to read up on all the rules of this Magic game on a IPhone so I'll sum up a few questions.
    A: I think Yu-Gi-Oh has about or vastly more than 5000 cards. Is Magic as big, or is it a card game revolved around little cards and more balance?
    B: How old is this franchise?
    A: As another poster said, there is over 20k unique cards and growing.
    B: Magic: The Gathering is the first real trading card game and set the ground work for all those to come afterwards. It came out in 1993 and has about 3 major set releases a year. Magic currently has over 12 million active players.

Tried out that Dueling Network thing, and by god, I had no clue what I was doing. I'm used to the game doing pretty much everything for you, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I later realised that Warhammer is a silly expensive and time-consuming hobby hah, where as Magic isn't. (Well it helps that she got her first deck for free and that it was custom made for her by nerdy Magic experts)
    If you want to play magic at anything above kitchen-table levels, it becomes VERY expensive though.

There's different "formats" for decks (Legacy,standard,modern,...)

Standard uses the last 2 "blocks"(sets come out in 3-set blocks, linked by flavor/location) + the last core set (usually less complicated cards aimed at newer players, but still competitive)

Modern uses all cards from 8th edition and beyond, with the new card layout.

Legacy has the largest card pool of the competitive formats, with ever set being legal, but a list of banned cards chosen by power level.

ATM, my standard deck has a value of 300€, where my modern is at about 650-700€. Legacy jumps up in price. My deck is around 1300-1400 €.

It's not a cheap hobby at all

However, for casual play (buying some boosters and using those cards to enhance your intro deck) it's fairly cheap.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    If you want to play magic at anything above kitchen-table levels, it becomes VERY expensive though.

There's different "formats" for decks (Legacy,standard,modern,...)

Standard uses the last 2 "blocks"(sets come out in 3-set blocks, linked by flavor/location) + the last core set (usually less complicated cards aimed at newer players, but still competitive)

Modern uses all cards from 8th edition and beyond, with the new card layout.

Legacy has the largest card pool of the competitive formats, with ever set being legal, but a list of banned cards chosen by power level.

ATM, my standard deck has a value of 300€, where my modern is at about 650-700€. Legacy jumps up in price. My deck is around 1300-1400 €.

It's not a cheap hobby at all

However, for casual play (buying some boosters and using those cards to enhance your intro deck) it's fairly cheap.
    Oh absolutely! My new magic friends spend INSANE amount of money on Magic, my point was, which you also conclude, is that to start magic you just have to buy a deck, and they aren't exactly expensive, where as if you want to start playing Warhammer you have to buy an entire army, assemble it and paint it. Not to mention that buying the entire army is silly expensive, since you can get 10 units or so for about 30 euro... And you need a lot more than 10 units heh.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh absolutely! My new magic friends spend INSANE amount of money on Magic, my point was, which you also conclude, is that to start magic you just have to buy a deck, and they aren't exactly expensive, where as if you want to start playing Warhammer you have to buy an entire army, assemble it and paint it. Not to mention that buying the entire army is silly expensive, since you can get 10 units or so for about 30 euro... And you need a lot more than 10 units heh.
    You're right there

I always wanted to try warhammer myself, but it seems like a huge learning curve, and a huge commitment to start.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    You're right there

I always wanted to try warhammer myself, but it seems like a huge learning curve, and a huge commitment to start.
    No doubt, I'll let you know when I get there. I'm still knee-deep in glue, plastic and paint. O well at least the Grey Knights have a simple colour scheme *sigh*.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I never had a special type of deck, I just find all the most powerfull cards and put them all in one big deck.

When I was buying my very first deck as a child, I could either choose from Yugi, Kaiba and Joey Starter Deck. Since Kaiba was my favorite character of the show, I took his deck first, and I never regretted it. His deck was amazing. Its specially fun if you have like, 2 more friends, and they will be buying the other 2 decks. And then you'd have 3 balanced decks to play against each other, I had so much fun with that.

As time went by, everyone completely replaced the cards from their starting decks by buying more cards, and you could barely evenr ecognise it was kaiba's deck before. But it was a great starting deck.

So much memories... please make me young again...

Deleted
    I've literally just got back into it recently; bought the 'Dragons Collide' structure deck and a couple of boosters to play with my friends - and it's a lush deck (I love dragons) but it's kind if a 'destroy or be destroyed' deck - it's very volatile - but with a bit of tweaking, it's gonna be so much fun to play with

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinMyLights View Post
    I've literally just got back into it recently; bought the 'Dragons Collide' structure deck and a couple of boosters to play with my friends - and it's a lush deck (I love dragons) but it's kind if a 'destroy or be destroyed' deck - it's very volatile - but with a bit of tweaking, it's gonna be so much fun to play with
    My fav deck as well. Shame they restricted Red-Eyes which cripples the deck a bit, imo. Oh well, it's good that I have my Dark World deck.

Deleted
    I used to play with a deck revolved around Toon World and it's associated monsters. I also had numerous backup cards to prevent Toon World's destruction, or cards that dramatically assist it like Thousand Eyes Restrict.

Do you remember your decks?
    I used to have character based decks < Yugi, Kaiba, Jounouchi, Pegasus, Mai > then I went over to throw everything in one pile (I was naive) and then finally made a deck that could do something (until 5Ds came around the corner) based around the Blue-Eyes and Armed Dragon Lv5 (I still have that deck) then I had some downtime for a while playing with friends and now I'm trying to get back in the game, been to this event in a store twice now.

Oh right and I the Legendary Collection 3: Yugi's World that got released recently (Seal of Orichalcos)
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2012-09-28 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Nobody likes a smartass :P

I used to play it.
    Did 4 tournaments, the first 2 I didn't come close to winning.
    Then a 2v2 competition where we came in second.
    And last a tournament in my hometown where I won, which I found a good time to stop.

I had a water deck which was powerfull as hell at the time.
    I really can't remember the name of the cards but I remember it was mostly about this one water dragon that if Umi or the stronger version were up he would do something insanely OP.
    I also remember always having at least 1 penguin soldier in my deck, he was the most underappreciated little bugger out there.

This was before all the restrictions popped up so a lot of decks were a lot alike due to way too powerfull cards being staples.

Most people in my class play this/magic the gathering it's awesome ^^

It's a lot more fun to gloat when it's face-to-face. I tried playing some of the various TCG online and it's just nowhere near as fun as playing them in real life with other people.
    I agree with this. I just cant be arsed to play it virtually. If there were hosted tournaments in my town I would totally enter and play Pokémon cards. The game is just fun. I've recently downloaded the new TCG Online for Pokémon and I just cant play it because its not as fun.

I know this thread was about Yu-Gi-Oh but card games are card games :P same old same old :P Although I firmly believe Yu-Gi-Oh has many many more playstyles and is largely more in depth. I played about 6 - 7 years ago when world wide edition was large on the GBA I managed to get all the exodia pieces and the god cards and gate guardian. I wasn't a rich kid I was just good at wheeling and dealing Also used to play for keeps alot because I was good at the game :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexo View Post
    I used to play it.
    Did 4 tournaments, the first 2 I didn't come close to winning.
    Then a 2v2 competition where we came in second.
    And last a tournament in my hometown where I won, which I found a good time to stop.

I had a water deck which was powerfull as hell at the time.
    I really can't remember the name of the cards but I remember it was mostly about this one water dragon that if Umi or the stronger version were up he would do something insanely OP.
    I also remember always having at least 1 penguin soldier in my deck, he was the most underappreciated little bugger out there.

This was before all the restrictions popped up so a lot of decks were a lot alike due to way too powerfull cards being staples.
    One of these?

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ocean_D...-_Neo-Daedalus
    http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Levia-Dragon_-_Daedalus

PS: Genn, what's your Dueling Network name? :P
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2012-09-28 at 11:46 AM.