Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a tank if I use it correctly its usually the 3rd or 4th damage dealer on boss fights not bad for only dealing damage from 35% to 0% imo. I am excited. At least we aren't warriors were all our damage is based around our execute ability. Our fury warrior spends most of the fight at the bottom until he can execute.

Soul Reaper is right where it needs to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Soul Reaper is absurdly powerful. The fact that you're judging anything based on leveling speaks for itself. If you can't figure out when a mob is going to hit 35% i don't know what to say. It sounds like you have a problem rather than the ability itself.
    The problems starts on PvP, on PvE it's insanely strong and none should say something different.

On PvP you could "waste" 2 UH/D runes if the healers manage what to do beside the fact that you got 5 sec delay that means a lot of time in Arena: it's the difference between win and loose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    And 50% haste for 10 seconds
    I'm only seeing 3-4 seconds at most for that 50% haste, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended..

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    It will be quite useful on Raid Bosses and on pesky forever living healers, they can't dispell everything, that's why dispels are on an 8sec cd. And 50% haste for 10 seconds makes for shitloads of KM procs. And warriors with their second wind can go shove it cause soul reaper will reap their self healing asses.
    no shitload KM is still at a 5-6 PPM

---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 08:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I'm only seeing 3-4 seconds at most for that 50% haste, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended..
    Same me its alway 4 sec or so seems like a bug

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    The problems starts on PvP, on PvE it's insanely strong and none should say something different.

On PvP you could "waste" 2 UH/D runes if the healers manage what to do beside the fact that you got 5 sec delay that means a lot of time in Arena: it's the difference between win and loose.
    Its hard to say that the 5 sec delay is a detriment without considering the benefits. Unlike other executes, you can use it on a target with reasonably high health, do some well timed burst, and have soul reaper proc and do massive burst damage. The only problem I see with soul reaper is that in most arena games, a kill on any target is a win. Thus if soul reaper doesn't' activate, the 50% haste is wasted because a 3v2, 2v1, or 5v4 should be an easy win from there.

The more i use it, the more it grows on me. Thinking about it in pvp, using soul reaper to almost completely nullify the enemy's dispell is amazing. For example, focusing the healer while his dps get cc'd would be an easy way to win an arena match. If he dispells them, your soul reaper can proc freely, if he dispells soul reaper off himself, his dps sit in cc.

I'm a huge fan of the fact that our execute isn't a washed up reused press button on cd ability that deals instant damage like Kill shot, Shadow Word: Death or Execute. It takes skill to use. Frost has had an execute mechanic since wotlk so its not exactly a new thing. Unholy and Blood getting them shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by Nangz; 2012-09-28 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post

Same me its alway 4 sec or so seems like a bug
    I'm hoping it is a bug, 4secs isn't much at all.. I barely get time to dps mobs with 3 secs.

I have been loving Soul Reaper as I've done my Loremaster for Pandaria as DW Frost. Used it on almost every mob I kill, very rarely do I have it not got off and either kill the mob or give me a haste buff. After about 1 or 2 kills of a mob I can tell how fast I am dpsing the mob to use it for maximum effectiveness.
    In dungeons it's hitting like a FCKING TRUCK, usually get about 2-3 off per boss fight, in PvP I've been getting people low SRing them then switching targets as I see the *You have kill xxxxxxxx* pop up on my MSBT.

Soul Reaper is in my mind BA and having an execute as a DK has been ROCKING!!!!!!!! It just takes some foresight to use properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Ice cream sales increase in the summer over the rest of the year (this is established fact). The number of drownings increase in the summer over the rest of the year (this is also established fact). By your logic ... ice cream causes people to drown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    I've no experience on PvP so it was just something that was coming on my head, but you got fair points, way better then mines.

SR has been "stealth nerfed", now the buff lasts 5 seconds and it's intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    Its hard to say that the 5 sec delay is a detriment without considering the benefits. Unlike other executes, you can use it on a target with reasonably high health, do some well timed burst, and have soul reaper proc and do massive burst damage. The only problem I see with soul reaper is that in most arena games, a kill on any target is a win. Thus if soul reaper doesn't' activate, the 50% haste is wasted because a 3v2, 2v1, or 5v4 should be an easy win from there.

The more i use it, the more it grows on me. Thinking about it in pvp, using soul reaper to almost completely nullify the enemy's dispell is amazing. For example, focusing the healer while his dps get cc'd would be an easy way to win an arena match. If he dispells them, your soul reaper can proc freely, if he dispells soul reaper off himself, his dps sit in cc.

I'm a huge fan of the fact that our execute isn't a washed up reused press button on cd ability that deals instant damage like Kill shot, Shadow Word: Death or Execute. It takes skill to use. Frost has had an execute mechanic since wotlk so its not exactly a new thing. Unholy and Blood getting them shouldn't be an issue.
    12% increased damage below 35% isn't really an execute.
    2400 EXP Multi-Boxer On Tichondrius Alliance/Horde

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    no shitload KM is still at a 5-6 PPM
    Melee haste gives additional KM procs. The PPM is expressed in-game as a percentage on hit determined by the base speed of each weapon.

Soul reaper is amazing. It skyrockets my DPS + overall dmg at 35%.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash1 View Post
    I was looking forward to trying out this new ability and now that I have....I'm very disappointed. It's pretty much worthless for leveling. I play Frost. Due to the RNGy nature of the spec, there is no way to reliably predict when to use Soul Reaper. I keep using it too early or too late. And the Haste buff you get for using it too late doesn't really help anything. I continue to level faster without the damn ability...

If they wanted to implement an ability in such a way, then the effect should have been set to at the most 3 seconds because.....FIVE SECONDS.....is an eternity. Especially in PvP and for an ability that can be dispelled.
    Unlike other Executive abilities Soul Reaper actually requires some skill if you're suppose to use it correctly, especially in a competative PvP envionrment as you're forced to mentain or make sure that an opponent is at or under 35% HP. You've got to take several things into account when you're about to use it. Does the opponent have a healer that is able to remove it? Does the opponent perhaps have a damage reductive ability ready? Will the opponent be at 35% HP 5 seconds from now? Do I perhaps use it to gain additional haste or deal damage?

When you level you can pull several mobs, use Soul Reaper when one mob is low and simply switch targets, This is exactly what we DK's needed. I like Unholy and man do I enjoy this!

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post

At 90 wasting a GCD on a dispel when you or your partner is that low on health is going to be a kill.

Soul Reaper is an amazing addition to the Death Knight kit, it was the only real thing that I feel that we have been missing over the last couple years.

"Due to the RNGy nature of the spec, there is no way to reliably predict when to use Soul Reaper." I would not call Frost RNG like at this time, at least if you are using RC over RE like I am at this time. Leads me to believe that you don't know how to play the spec properly, considering it one of the best finishers in the game in the sense that you can apply it and time it correctly to hit as the target drops into the 35% zone. Make is one the best finisher with a little skill require for it to be used the best way. Learn to time it right and you can get proper usage out of the ability.

"And the Haste buff you get for using it too late doesn't really help anything." Its an awesome after effect that both increases our rune regeneration rate and our attack speed, in turn leading to more KM procs. Combined with RC you can get roughly 3s CD on runes, hardly useless.

My only issue with it is that the Tooltip states a 10s duration though this is 5s on live. A previous comment does state that this is intended but all the same they should fix it to be one way or the other, makes you feel like your missing out when reading it.

Soul Reaper is bad.

As interesting as its effects may sound, it is merely an impotent execute.

We basically get the same thing as everyone else, but we have the inefficient nuisance of waiting 5 seconds for it to activate. The haste bonus is literally useless as it only lasts for a few seconds, this buff is absolutely not viable in PVP and very unlikely to be of any worth in PVE. "Wow, a single extra weapon swing!!!!! SO OP LOLOLOL!!!!"

We are in dire need for Blizzard to give us a practical execute mechanic, not some overcomplicated, dispellable, avant-garde bullshit.

Did I mention it's reflectable? If the target is below 35% and should take damage, a Warrior (for example, but a Shaman can do Grounding Totem as well) can reflect the damage back to us, even if we have more than 35% health.
    Last edited by fyske; 2012-09-30 at 03:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loving it as Blood so far. Applying it on multiple targets works brilliantly while cleaving packs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonuts View Post
    Pretty sad when being deathgripped is my most reliable gap closer! THAT is some BS too.

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisZero View Post
    Soul Reaper is an amazing addition to the Death Knight kit, it was the only real thing that I feel that we have been missing over the last couple years.
    I can think of a handful of abilities that the class needed over an execute ability just off the top of my head. But, that's for another discussion. Frost is the epitome of RNG. How you can say differently is perplexing. And I can assure you that I know how to play a DK very well.

Yes it sucks balls from a PvP perspective.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Soul reaper is great. I dunno what your smokeing. Set a soul reaper and tab target. And if you dont get the tick from, well you get faster rune regen for a few seconds.

---------- Post added 2012-09-30 at 07:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fyske View Post
    "Wow, a single extra weapon swing!!!!! SO OP LOLOLOL!!!!"
    You should try 2H Frost, the highest dps spec in sims atm. Also know as Haste Frost these days. We love haste, this ability scales with haste on trash, and is very nice of bosses. Haste affects rune regen, rune regen means more oblits, that means more RP that means more frost strikes. Stfu and gtfo. If you don't understand how important haste is to DKs your a bad dk.

I don't play unholy, Im MS blood, and OS I go with whichever frost spec I have the gear for at the time and make the best out of it until I can gear the better simming one.

Soul reaper is amazing for blood. Why ? I can set one on a target and know its gonna cause a large amount of threat. It made my job easier. I pull with DnD in most cases, apply outbreak, BB to spread diseases. SR my first target and RS it, then tab, DS RS tab SR tab. You get the idea. It makes it easier since our AOE threat isn't fire and forget like it once was with SR I spend less time tabbing now.

As frost, dang, huge dps increase is all I can say. Its not annoying. So what you dont need to fire it off when questing? When you pull an aoe pack is it useful? Yeah. Rare spawns? Yeah, average 3 shots and your dead mob? No. Its okay. My paladin rarely puts up Inquis during a single mob pull.
    Last edited by Playintrafic; 2012-09-30 at 07:43 AM.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

You should try 2H Frost, the highest dps spec in sims atm. Also know as Haste Frost these days. We love haste, this ability scales with haste on trash, and is very nice of bosses. Haste affects rune regen, rune regen means more oblits, that means more RP that means more frost strikes. Stfu and gtfo. If you don't understand how important haste is to DKs your a bad dk.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Soul Reaper outside of it giving about 2.5 sec cooldown on all runes. Either way, that wasn't the point of the reply.