Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do the combat animations get better?

Started the download for rift lite last night and decided to play a bit, I picked the 2 hand warrior and the low level weapon animations are kinda disappointing.. Auto attack and the charge one is ok but the others are really meh.. Other than that the game seems kinda fun and my new system seems to automatically set to ultra which is nice.

I look forward to playing it more just wanted to know about the weapon animations and if they get better..

Unfortunately, it doesn't get better.

I used to play RIFT for quite a while.
    When i tried to go back and check it out, i got turned off from playing it because the combat animations were so rigid and outdated.

The game itself is great, theres plenty of content and some servers are actually very well packed for a good MMO experience.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Not sure how to comment on something so subjective; I personally think the animations for caster classes (not leveled a Warrior yet) are quite incredible and varied based on weapon usage (2h vs. dual wield, vs. totem + Sword/dagger etc.)

I would outline that with the new souls incoming in SL (in 6 weeks), what seems to be a lot of new animations are being introduced; for example, Mages are going Melee with Scythes, and Warriors get a ranged spec with Casting animations.

I like the previews for you to see if you like what's being introduced, I know I do!

{I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

This does seem to be more of a personnel preference type thing. If you are expecting Aion or GW2 animations, then umm yeahh. Little bit below and above TOR's is my opinion. The new souls like Tempest looks like it has some pretty sick animations.

I don't find it game breaking by any means, and I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game but I may check out a caster class to see if the animations are less abrasive. but yeah I also play gw2 so i may be a bit spoiled when it comes to combat animations especially with dagger dagger thief (I <3 death blossom). But I also wanted to play a mmo with raids and stuff and (you will have to forgive me) with the more rts style play like wow and rift, but I'm drop dead bored of wow (not saying its bad, no hate) so I wanted to give rift a go.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Must be a melee issue. I love the animations for my mage, look realistic and badass.

#MeleeClassProblems
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I like the animations just wish they was a little bigger and clearer

Yeah I'm probably gonna try rolling a Mage of some sort..

Yeah, warrior animations are rather boring, though I do like the charge. I like many of the female rogue animations, since they hold their weapons different from the males (1 pointing up, one pointing down instead of both pointing up). But I really prefer the mage animations, especially if you have a book in the offhand. It opens and (with the male elf, at least) the pages turn as you cast. Some will cast the spells using the offhand, some with the weapon. I like it better than wow's "wave your hands around" casting animations as a whole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Yeah, warrior animations are rather boring, though I do like the charge. I like many of the female rogue animations, since they hold their weapons different from the males (1 pointing up, one pointing down instead of both pointing up). But I really prefer the mage animations, especially if you have a book in the offhand. It opens and (with the male elf, at least) the pages turn as you cast. Some will cast the spells using the offhand, some with the weapon. I like it better than wow's "wave your hands around" casting animations as a whole.
    wooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOoooo

"A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Not sure what 10 minutes of Wololo (which is awesome, by the way) has to do with my comment? I am confused.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyctattoo View Post
    Started the download for rift lite last night and decided to play a bit, I picked the 2 hand warrior and the low level weapon animations are kinda disappointing.. Auto attack and the charge one is ok but the others are really meh.. Other than that the game seems kinda fun and my new system seems to automatically set to ultra which is nice.

I look forward to playing it more just wanted to know about the weapon animations and if they get better..

If you mean do they get like in wow where belfs swing two handed swords behind their backs and pass them off one handed as they do so in a totally ridiculous manner? no.

The animations in rift are not quite so......over the top (fucking stupid)....as in some other game.

Its a personal taste thing, its ok in wow with its cartoony graphics, but a more realistic(ish) animation fits Rifts art style in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Not sure what 10 minutes of Wololo (which is awesome, by the way) has to do with my comment? I am confused.
    I was reminded of it by the woooOOOOooooOOOOO comment I made that references the waving hands around awkwardly to cast spells. lol
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I was reminded of it by the woooOOOOooooOOOOO comment I made that references the waving hands around awkwardly to cast spells. lol
    Oh, ok. Now I am not so confused anymore. And I honestly can't believe that someone made a 10 minute long video of "Wololo". But I guess it shouldn't.

No.

Something one should know is Rift's animation system often renders attacks slower than they are actually being fired off. It sorta lags behind a bit from what you are actually doing. Skills fire immediately on keypress though.

Kinda don't pay attention to your character's swings and just keep the rotation committed to muscle memory.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the best race for animations are the Bahmis. I absolutely LOVE the Melee animations for a Male Bahmi Warrior and the casting for a female Bahmi Mage/Cleric. It kind of makes me wish I would have rolled a Bahmi at the start of the game instead of my Mathosian.

The Dwarves also have some nifty anims. Although it's moreso the male Dwarf bards that are pretty awesome.

I think once you start getting up in levels and start grinding multiple mobs and such, you start to ignore the animations, good or bad. Me personally? I like 'em. It's nice to see action through your weapon, be it shooting your gun, dual wield slicing, or raising your tome above you while casting a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyctattoo View Post

The more you play the more you'll like 'em!
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

DPS rotation should be ones main focus, as well as things in the environment that will kill you, like aoe, which are plentiful in rift.

You guys are right, started a Mage-necromancer and the animations are a lot better..