Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, just seen the latest episode. In a word: awesome. Seriously. I seldom get teary eyed while watching movies or tv series, but I did in the end here.
    I'd love to talk more about it, but should probably wait until more people get to see it. As far as non-spoiler stuff goes - it was a pleasure to see this doctor have a moment of genuine anger (even if very brief), something he couldn't really do convincingly until now. Also, this episode uses the angels the way they are meant to be used, as something lurking in the shadows, not in-your-face monsters.

10+ Year Old Account
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
    I've never shed tears for a TV show before ;(

River had to ruin the moment with her terribleness. She didn't even care that her parents just went from their 20s to dead in their 80s right in front of her eyes. Why couldn't River be the one to die.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post

River had to ruin the moment with her terribleness. She didn't even care that her parents just went from their 20s to dead in their 80s right in front of her eyes. Why couldn't River be the one to die.
    I thought the moment where she kissed Amy's hand as a farewell was a poignant moment and one that very much showed she cared - just that she understood that they couldn't change it. Besides, River dies saving the Doctor back in season 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    As usual, this is a discussion of the episode, so there will be SPOILERS do not read past this line if you haven't seen the episode

Just... WOW, awesome episode, loved every single aspect of it and I'm not too proud to admit I was crying like a lil kid with a skinned knee by the end of it :S, I thought the start was very cool, even knowing River Song was in the episode, and knowing her real name I STILL didn't get she was the author then once they were all 'back' it was SUPER creapy, seriously, dem baby angels are just WRONG (also... LOL Statue of Liberty Angel epicness) so I just figured 'hey, a cool, semi scary episode, maybe they lied?'

and then they found Rory's room :'(, and once they got up to the roof, I just knew what was going to happen(mostly because it was on the preview at the end of last weeks ep.... epic fail BBC)... As they threw themselves off and it all went slowmotion I got a bit choked up, and just as I was about to lose the battle... they woke up, and I got a bit mad, thinking that the Moff had tricked us, setting us up to BELIEVE that they'd die, when actually the didn't....

and then Rory got backstabbed... WTF don't DO that! Don't make us think everything is fine then pull the rug out... it's not nice. Then we had Amy's tearful goodbye, which I jjuusstt managed to hold it together through, because although she did have to 'die' it was to be with Rory (seriously LUCKIEST MAN EVER) it wasn't REALLY dying, in fact, she was going to LIVE.

Then the Doctor read the afterword and I lost it great great GREAT send off, to my favourite companion ever (I know y'all dont like her.. but GOD she's hot)

Overall this was an amazing end to a good arc in Dr Who, I hope that the next arc has more episodes like this one, and less like Dinos on a ship

You're missing the point dude..
    a) She knew it had to happen, Rory was gone, there was no choice about that and knowing how much Amy loved Rory and that for them being apart was worse than suddenly being 'dead' (although of course, they wouldn't be dead, they'd be away and happy in the past) she let Amy go, because it was the only way for her to be happy.

b) as upset as she was, she knew the Doctor was feeling ALOT worse, and because she loves him and knows his feelings about 'endings' she played her own sadness down to help him through.

brb I'm going to watch that episode again....

BRING ON THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!

Mod Edit: Please, make use of [ spoiler]...[ /spoiler] tags, even with warnings given.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-09-30 at 10:19 AM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account

I enjoyed her banter with the doctor, it was better this time. More um..life-like I guess? And why was she not sad? Amy told her to take care of him, to make sure he did not do anything reckless because she knew he could. She was trying to be strong, she understood what would happen if she tried to save them. She [B]was[/B] sad, but she is trying to hide it like she hide her pain from the doctor.

The episode was very good overall. I am glad used how they were suposed to be used, The different variants of them were cool also. I got sad but not much teary.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Sad week in TV, with what happened in Doctor Who and Sons of Anarchy this week.

10+ Year Old Account
    *sniff*

Both for the episode and for the wait now until Christmas. Oh Rory why do you have to notice things like that?!

I vastly enjoyed the episode though. Weeping angels are always scary, but those cherubs....

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    I'm glad Rory and Amy is gone. Never liked either of them.
    I hope we get a new doctor before the end of this series too. David Tennant was brilliant. Moffat wrote great episoded, but I hate the show since he became in charge over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhaired Lowlife View Post
    I'm glad Rory and Amy is gone. Never liked either of them.
    I hope we get a new doctor before the end of this series too. David Tennant was brilliant. Moffat wrote great episoded, but I hate the show since he became in charge over it.
    Hasn't Matt Smith signed for at least another season after this one?

lol all this pond hate. They werent the best, but dear god they certainly werent the worst. A good ending to the story. It does feel like they put a huge amount of thought into this final episode and kinda left the scraps for quite a good chunk of the first few. Not to say the previous episodes were terrible, but maybe 2/5 had any lasting quality to me. Smith without a doubt needs at least another companion before an exit, too much pond, not enough testing of his range as the doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nitpicking time (because I love the angels and I hate when obvious stuff gets overlooked)! First the angel statue of liberty. While a very cool idea, I find it hard to believe that there is any moment, even at night, even in 1938, that there isn't someone looking at the statue of liberty. And second: two angels standing at the opposite ends of a hallway - they were looking right at each other, they should be petrified forever. Remembering details like that should not be difficult for screenwriters, this is how the engels were defeated in 'Blink"!

Regarding the hallway and the angels, the lights were repeatedly going out/there were people between them. *Shrug.*

Deleted
    Have only seen 3 of the newer ones(still have one left with tennant) and i can say now already that i really don't look forward to where Matt takes over(for some reason i don't like him at all, seen one episode with him yet though) and the fact that Davies dropped out(from what i've heard) really drops the anticipation for me.

We'll see when we get there, so far Chris is my favourite doctor while tennant ain't far behind, great show!

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the ending and the resolution but I didn't like the episode itself very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kessos View Post
    Have only seen 3 of the newer ones(still have one left with tennant) and i can say now already that i really don't look forward to where Matt takes over(for some reason i don't like him at all, seen one episode with him yet though) and the fact that Davies dropped out(from what i've heard) really drops the anticipation for me.

We'll see when we get there, so far Chris is my favourite doctor while tennant ain't far behind, great show!
    This is a subjective opinion at best; You shouldn't fear for Tennant's departure and Smith's arrival, Matt Smith is more "The DOctor" than Tennant ever was and I have preferred him in the role. I was really worried I wouldn't like him as I really enjoyed Tennant as the Doctor but Matt SMith is on a whole different level, there are some poor episodes (like all seasons) but overall he is amazing!

This angels episode had a creepy vibe to it (scary cherub laughter!) and I was so anxious to know how the Ponds would bid farewell. The episode served itself well and I was teary-eyed when the two lovebirds "took the plunge" together. The ending was a bit forced, and I didn't understand how River was so cool with everything but I guess she knew her parents would be together for the next fifty years.

The Doctor showed his true selfishness about wanting to hold onto Amy. I'm excited to see what will happen to his character now that his Amelia Pond has officially abandoned the Doctor; hopefully it'll take him down a more edgier and angrier path.

Question: When the Doctor healed River's broken wrist, did he give up one of his resurrections? That would be stupid.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Question: When the Doctor healed River's broken wrist, did he give up one of his resurrections? That would be stupid.
    That's somewhat unclear at the moment.

Originally regenerations were finite. You only got 12. There was some mumbo jumbo about being able to take other people's regenerations though. In the current version of the world there doesn't seem to be any kind of limit, but the rules are very unclear so it's sort of an unknown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    That's somewhat unclear at the moment.

Originally regenerations were finite. You only got 12. There was some mumbo jumbo about being able to take other people's regenerations though. In the current version of the world there doesn't seem to be any kind of limit, but the rules are very unclear so it's sort of an unknown.
    I think the canon was that it was only allowed by Time Lords to have 12 regenerations so they didn't overpopulate but they are still able to regenerate more.

Edit: I was just talking to my brother about it and he says that the entire TV show is just them milking the show. He says that it's all just an alien time traveller that goes on adventures through time with some female companion that falls in love with him and then leaves the shows. I agree with him that alot of the show follows that but I'd hardly say they are milking it.
    Last edited by mmocaf5892d726; 2012-10-01 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrield View Post
    This is a subjective opinion at best; You shouldn't fear for Tennant's departure and Smith's arrival, Matt Smith is more "The DOctor" than Tennant ever was and I have preferred him in the role. I was really worried I wouldn't like him as I really enjoyed Tennant as the Doctor but Matt SMith is on a whole different level, there are some poor episodes (like all seasons) but overall he is amazing!
    I actually disagree I find Smith to be the worst doctor of the new series, not bad by any means but still nowhere near as good as his two predecessors.

Then again when Tennant took the role it took me 2-3 episodes to come to terms with it so I gave Smith a shot and 2-3 seasons later my verdict is meeeh.

Fucking 5 episodes is a joke though, really starting to hate on series that are cutting themselves in half and airing half this year, and the rest next year /late this year,

Cracking episode though,

Although one plot hole, said they can never land the tardis there again because of the un stability etc, and it was lucky it was done the once without ripping new york to shreds, however, what about rivers vortex "watch" (sorry a bit tired can't remember any of the correct names ) as its smaller and like she said, a bike not something big and bulky

Or is it now a fixed point in time, because they read the grave stone?

Either way I can see in a series time, or two series time, they might make a guest appearance,

and before you give me any bull shit about its impossible, remember its tv, anything can happen, if they want it to happen, they will find a story line to make it happen,

*cough* Darvos / Rose *cough*
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate