Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Had an 89 SPriest in a random with me yesterday that I was tanking. Idk if he was just bad, or if the players from my guild were insanely better, but he was bottom of DPS charts. Hunter/ProtPally(Me)/Ret Pally/SPriest topping out at about 20K. Is this normal?

Deleted
    For the multiple mob killing, just pick up the talent Void Tendril's. It will by far out shine every other root in game in terms of multi dotting as it's not damage taken on affected mobs that breaks the root, but the time it takes the mobs to kill the tentacles you spawn.
    Only works on 5 targets tho but using it will greatly increase your pace of questing.

Overall pve wise I think spriests are pretty strong atm, I've been playing mine since late vanilla tho so a good idea is to just give it a little bit more practice. Hope you stick to it, really fun spec, always have been. Will be playing mine as a main or first priority alt forever no matter how nerfed to the ground it gets.

Deleted
    Funny trick is to throw a shield on a tendril so the mob/player (if pvp) has to chew through that one as well.

But for pvp, I'd take psyfiend.

Priest survivability is better than ever, optimal rotation and priorities are simpler than ever. The biggest challenge lies managing 2 optional procs you can stop your filler for the moment they pop up, not to mention they can still decently multi-dot unlike other specs like moonkins. I don't know what you have been smoking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lwalker8 View Post
    This is very true. I've been doing heroics and have a very hard time keeping up with other classes on trash. Sometimes by the end I can catch up to some of the others, but its done through a tedious (not fun) process of DoTs on every mob, using procs and mind seering for a tick or two between. Bosses are fine - and as you said, with a group of 2+ with a large pool of HP (1.5 million+) you can really get things going.
    So you have been doing what us shadowpriests does..? I don't see the problem. Maybe you're playing the wrong class if you don't like to DoT track and useing procs, MS/MF as fillers?

Deleted
    Am i the only one that think the spriest now is a little bit weak in instances?? And the new system of Aoe is like playing piano.

Mind Sear sucks, but I've been topping meters on most fights in 5 mans.

Quote Originally Posted by mamoon View Post
    I am wondering the same thing... Are we really that gear dependent atm? I have item level 461 at this moment, with almost the best pre-raid gear from heroic dungeons and still I am struggling VERY much with my dps. I have weakauras tracking my dots and cooldowns and Halopro telling me the range where to use Halo. Here is my priority list:

Shadowfiend (I use Shadowfiend at the beginning of the fight so I might have a chance to reuse it at the end)
    DP with 3orbs
    SW: D
    MB
    SW:P
    VT
    Halo
    Mind spike proc
    MF

With this I manage to do 31k dps at Raider's training dummy and about 35-36k at stand still single target bosses. Even at two targets I can't pull more dps because I feel that I don't have the ground CDs to use all the procs. Is the FDCL talent rubbish or is it useful up to two target encounters, like the dps-guide says?

At some encounters I notice that I miss that MB is off cd but only for 1-2 seconds. Also because the MS proc I tend to sometimes prioritize it over my dots and they fall of for 1-2seconds. Are these the critical things that are out scaling my dps if you compere it at DK/Paladin dps.

I really need help with this.. When I'm doing heroics with my guild mates they can do +12k more dps with their paladins and DKs saying "I don't have a clue what I am doing" AND they also have -10 my ilvl.

Thank you in advance

-M
    idk how your doing so bad but the priests ive seen are doing atleast 40k dps easily.. when i was on my pally tank aoeing.. most priests were pulling 70ks in big mobs just spamming mind sear... my friend is a priest though he says cast VT and mindsear if its 3 targets or less.. or maybe its 4 targets or less... anyway if u have the time to predot a mob then do it while u mindsear.. afaik priests are op in heroics now.

I'm doing 40k+ dps in 5mans, but our DKs and feral druids do 60+ on aoe packs, while i barely break 35, whether I do multidotting coupled with Insanity or Mind Sear.

as other said our aoe is weak even with multi dotting dks warriors etc just kill me but when it comes to a single target fight like a boss i destroy them this is in 5 man heroics of course but i did do a 40 man sha of anger nad i was #1 dps with Halo doing 30% of my damage so i think we are fine u just need to get gear and lots of haste

Quote Originally Posted by kallell View Post
    Hi all,

I'll admit, i'm fairly new to priest. I basically made one right before the expansion, and did a few instances as disc. I decided for MoP i'd go shadow. Leveling up wasn't too bad, especially with a prot warrior as a partner. However, now that i'm 90 and doing things on my own a decent amount, it feels like i'm pretty weak. PVE wise taking on anymore than 2 mobs is risky, and somewhat slow; pvp wise, i feel like i can't do anything but die for the most part. I haven't done a ton of pvp honestly, but two that stick out -- a warrior / and a druid, i couldn't even do enough damage to damage them. The warrior's life literally didn't move more than 25%; and the druid just dotted, got out of every slow / stun i could throw at him with ease.

I feel like if i'm stuck right now, not wanting to play the guy i just leveled, and have more interest going back to my mage.

Are spriests really weak at this point? Are they super gear dependent? Help?
    Do you have contender's blue crafted PvP set? Otherwise you can't really expect much. Not going to do a lot of dmg, and you really really have to practice getting in some flash heals vs. a melee. Whether it is with spectral guise, or the fade talents, or during a fear. Anything, but you really need the flash heals. Also make sure to keep renew up 100%, and to always use bubble when weakened soul comes off.

Again, going to be tough killing a warrior with their healing talent if you dont have PvP power to get through the 40% natural resil.

Now, I have a problem with DKs no matter what. Lichborne, AMS, insane burst, grip, strangulate, melee interrupt... nothing I can do in a 1v1 against a DK haha, their necrotic strikes make my renew and flash heals pointless.

Deleted
    Hi all,

I'll admit, i'm fairly new to priest. I basically made one right before the expansion, and did a few instances as disc. I decided for MoP i'd go shadow. Leveling up wasn't too bad, especially with a prot warrior as a partner. However, now that i'm 90 and doing things on my own a decent amount, it feels like i'm pretty weak. PVE wise taking on anymore than 2 mobs is risky, and somewhat slow; pvp wise, i feel like i can't do anything but die for the most part. I haven't done a ton of pvp honestly, but two that stick out -- a warrior / and a druid, i couldn't even do enough damage to damage them. The warrior's life literally didn't move more than 25%; and the druid just dotted, got out of every slow / stun i could throw at him with ease.

I feel like if i'm stuck right now, not wanting to play the guy i just leveled, and have more interest going back to my mage.

Are spriests really weak at this point? Are they super gear dependent? Help?
    Playing a shadow priest for the first time and i agree that i feel weak in PvE, but in PvP i feel nearly overpowered. you using Phantasm / Spectral Guise and 8/8 pvp gear?

i think spriests will be OP in pvp right now

i'm still only 87 atm, but im usually highest dps in dungeons with about 25-30k on average. I'm curious to see how things will evolve tho, since i didn't plan an lvling my priest as the first to 90, so i hope i won't regret it lol... DK is next in line anyway.

Maybe it will help someone:

After running countless 5 man heroic raids i have improved my trash dps with the following

-start with mindblast and use as soon as possible (and the resulting devouring plagues)
    -mindbender/halo if ready
    -dot every mob with a shadow word: pain and refresh in time (addon like tidyplate can help)
    -only use vampiric touch if every mob is fully dotted with pain and mindblast/halo/mindbender are on cooldown AND if mob will live longer than approx 10 sec.

In short: spam the hell out of shadow word pain, make use of countless divine insight procs, mostly forget vampiric touch for trash..should get an easy 50k dps for many groups.

I haven't hit 90 yet, but through 88 I was doing around 20-25k, taking on multiple mobs, and ending most fights with full health and 90% mana. I have mainly played disc for two+ years, with very little shadow. The rotation seems simple, play easy. At the moment I'm taking haste, crit, then mastery on available greens.

Make sure you keep all your buffs up( oh, Inner Fire isn't up, no wonder I'm dying! -it happens), use devouring plague when you need it or whenever you have three orbs, and go. I'm typically just doing VT, SW:P, MB, MF, DP when @3, and SW:K. Not optimized, just what makes sense. Flask, Fort, and Food buffs always up as well.

I'm not a shadow expert; I keep it real simple, because I'm a disc priest at heart.

You guys out dps'd blood dks? Even doing random heroics, their dps is off the charts. level 87's in ilvl 410 gear doing 35k+
    Thats more a case of the DPS not being very good, then. While I top DPS on my blood DK, I'm very far from completely crushing the meters. This is in 5mans as level 85/86 in DPS gear from HoT/quests using blood spec, and abusing the hell out of Vengeance.

Probably just a scaling problem for spriests(like many other specs). At 90 the DPS difference between 5man gear and BiS raid gear is something stupid like 40-50k DPS.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2012-10-01 at 06:11 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Bagag View Post
    Maybe it will help someone:

After running countless 5 man heroic raids i have improved my trash dps with the following

-start with mindblast and use as soon as possible (and the resulting devouring plagues)
    -mindbender/halo if ready
    -dot every mob with a shadow word: pain and refresh in time (addon like tidyplate can help)
    -only use vampiric touch if every mob is fully dotted with pain and mindblast/halo/mindbender are on cooldown AND if mob will live longer than approx 10 sec.

In short: spam the hell out of shadow word pain, make use of countless divine insight procs, mostly forget vampiric touch for trash..should get an easy 50k dps for many groups.
    Speaking of which, i almost would think a step in a logical direction would be to have something else proc an orb other than mindblast. While i think this is still fine pve wise, i almost think that there should be some long cooldown ability or something else to generate an orb or two; you only get a few chances to do a longer type cast like mindblast in a 1v1 pvp scenario, and having devouring plague and terrify using the same resource makes you really have to be weigh the use.

But as an update, having a bit more gear seems to make my priest do a little better now. Solo fights i can hit upwards of 35-42k in 5 mans (depending on party composition).

I still feel like priests are slightly lacking in the pvp department currently, but it's probably just me needing some more practice. Main reason is i'm feeling like it's sometimes hard to mitigate the healing / constant pressure by some classes such as dks or paladins.

15+ Year Old Account
    However, now that i'm 90 and doing things on my own a decent amount, it feels like i'm pretty weak. PVE wise taking on anymore than 2 mobs is risky, and somewhat slow
    How do you do that? I'm 89 and triple or quad pull of lvl 90 mobs cannot kill me. Sure, I better use some CD (VE, fear and/or tendrils) but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by casually View Post
    idk how your doing so bad but the priests ive seen are doing atleast 40k dps easily.. when i was on my pally tank aoeing.. most priests were pulling 70ks in big mobs just spamming mind sear... my friend is a priest though he says cast VT and mindsear if its 3 targets or less.. or maybe its 4 targets or less... anyway if u have the time to predot a mob then do it while u mindsear.. afaik priests are op in heroics now.
    Completely untrue. I have close to 460 ilvl and in heroics, I figured out that the break point for me is 3 mobs that stay alive for 20 seconds or so. Anything less than that, I do decent damage and even top meters (2 mobs or so at about 45-46K and single mob for somewhat lower than that) except for blood DKs. Anything over that, I need to multi DOT and sear to stay just above the tank. If you just mind sear, you wont get off the ground let alone do 70K.

I did notice a big jump in DPS as I went from 440-450s to 455+ ilvl. I would say the priests will be fine with raid gear but they are no where the top of the meter in heroics. I have paired with shamans in 440s doing 85K on 4+ mobs, one mage that tore shit up and broke a 100K in Shado-pan - that hurt, Pallies and DKs doubling our damage so this based on my experience. I have been raiding on my SP for a long time and consider myself a decent player if that helps swallow my take on things.

I will say one word to end the discussions

haste