Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cascade or Halo?

So guys, i've started with Halo as soon as i reach 90.. but idk, sometimes i struggle with it, this spell is really very situcional..

I just started using cascade and i loved it.. but how much i'm loosing for not using Halo? Is a big DPS difference?

What u guys using?

I'm guessing you're shadow, so as a holy priest I can't say, but for healing, I use Halo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

halo >>> the other spells for shadow
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

I find Halo to be very dangerous. On empty rooms with a bunch of mobs over the tank, you can get away and cast it to hit them at max range, sure. But in most situations, you can't do that without pulling every mob from the dungeon and a couple bosses, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I find Halo to be very dangerous. On empty rooms with a bunch of mobs over the tank, you can get away and cast it to hit them at max range, sure. But in most situations, you can't do that without pulling every mob from the dungeon and a couple bosses, too.

Try cascading on the courtyard in SM... lol
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Divine star does more single target damage but less AoE.
    Unless all targets are in 1 stack.

15+ Year Old Account
    cascade is possibly the pretties spell in game, i shall use this for everything :3

Deleted
    Yeah, I did the same thing. Halo looked really good until ... dungeons. I think on raid bosses it'll be more powerful but in dungeons there's really no way you can pull it off without overpulling every.damn.thing.out.there.

For healing it's like this:

You want Cascade if people spread out a lot. I've started using it in 5-mans now and it's simply amazing. It has medium cooldown and medium mana cost. You can definitely feel once it starts jumping around, it's efficient and easy to use.

You want Halo if your main concern is burst single-target healing because it will hit for most in a single go if you position yourself right, which can be tricky in 5-mans. Especially if you don't want to pull the whole room of trash as a healer... It's also by far the most expensive of the 3 spells with the longest cooldown.

You want Divine Star if people stack on top of each other so that the spell hits everyone when cast. It costs leasts mana and has the shortest cooldown. I found it very underwhelming in 5-mans because people seldom stack that way. It can also pull additional mobs if cast recklessly (guilty of this :P)

As DPS you're best off with Halo or Divine Star in 5-mans. Halo is the option with more damage, but also more aggro radius, while Divine Star is safer, but does less damage. Cascade is a suicide spell in 5-mans.

In raids the choice will most depend on the encounter, to be honest, but if pulling extra packs isn't a concern, as DPS Halo should win.

Quote Originally Posted by emni View Post
    As DPS you're best off with Halo or Divine Star in 5-mans. Halo is the option with more damage, but also more aggro radius, while Divine Star is safer, but does less damage. Cascade is a suicide spell in 5-mans.

In raids the choice will most depend on the encounter, to be honest, but if pulling extra packs isn't a concern, as DPS Halo should win.
    But divine star is better for dps

Quote Originally Posted by Strykie View Post
    But divine star is better for dps
    Have any numbers for that? All my research points to Halo being the ideal "Patchwerk" DPS spell.

Quote Originally Posted by emni View Post
    Have any numbers for that? All my research points to Halo being the ideal "Patchwerk" DPS spell.
    Read the tooltip
    Calculate the damage
    Factor the cooldown.

Use Halo, use it as much as possible and utilize it to its full potential, i see a nerf coming in pretty soon... its too much damage, it cant really be compared to the other spells right now either, everyone is using single target Testing and the others are getting ahead of it barely once you use it at its best with more than even 1 target its going to beat any of the 90 Tier Talents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    The expansion is not The Dark Below.

Halo is the best in so far as it doesnt have to be aimed at anything and delivers damage and healing to everything in its range respectively.

Deleted
    Read the tooltip
    Calculate the damage
    Factor the cooldown.
    At 20k spellpower:
    Divine star hits for 20k (10k each way) on a 15s cooldown for 1,333 dps.
    Halo his for 59k on a 40s cooldown for 1,475k dps.

How is halo not better?

EDIT: this also holds at higher and lower spellpower. Halo does 11% more dps at 5k spellpower, scaling up to 12% more dps at 36k spellpower.
    Last edited by mmoca983f76f3c; 2012-10-02 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    At 20k spellpower:
    Divine star hits for 20k (10k each way) on a 15s cooldown for 1,333 dps.
    Halo his for 59k on a 40s cooldown for 1,475k dps.

How is halo not better?

EDIT: this also holds at higher and lower spellpower. Halo does 11% more dps at 5k spellpower, scaling up to 12% more dps at 36k spellpower.
    Well in 45 seconds you'd have used DS 4 times once at 0 then 15 then 30 then 45. So in ideal world DS does more, but in reality there is no way unless you've spec'd for no procs that you can use DS on CD every time as other abilities have higher priority.

Read the tooltip
    Calculate the damage
    Factor the cooldown.
    Alright, here's some napkin math.

Halo, according to tooltip, deals 15,163 to 25,270 (+ 195% of SpellPower) Shadow damage to enemies. Considering ideal range and 16,000 spellpower (which is approximately the amount you should have in full 463 gear), it would hit for 25,270 + 31,200 = 56,470. A 40 second cooldown puts this at 1,411.75 DPS.

Divine Star, according to the tooltip, causes 2,528 to 4,211 (+ 32.5% of SpellPower) Spellshadow damage to all enemies. Considering 2 hits (traveling each way) and 16,000 spellpower, it would hit for (4,211 + 5,200)*2 = 18,822. A 15 second cooldown puts this at 1,254.8 DPS.

Now care to share your math?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    Well in 45 seconds you'd have used DS 4 times once at 0 then 15 then 30 then 45. So in ideal world DS does more, but in reality there is no way unless you've spec'd for no procs that you can use DS on CD every time as other abilities have higher priority.
    This makes no sense. In 45 seconds you can also use Halo twice, once at 0 and a second time at 40.

Using my math above, 4 Divine Star hits would do a total of 75,288 damage, while 2 halo hits would do 112,940 damage. How does that make Divine Star better? O.o

One more ninja edit: Even if you were to have 3 Divine Star hits (0, 15, 30) vs only one Halo hit (0), Halo would still do more damage (56,466 Star vs 56,470 Halo) and the difference would increase with higher spellpower.
    Last edited by emni; 2012-10-02 at 12:53 PM.

Yeah good point actually, thought i was being smart

Deleted
    Read the tooltip
    Calculate the damage
    Factor the cooldown.
    You might be looking at the talent tooltips, which is for Holy, not Shadow. Once you pick the talent it shows the Shadow equivalent in your spell book which usually does much more damage for Halo.

I've personally seen crits on Halo for over 200k, and also crits on heals for 150k (as shadow). This spell is amazing but really, really situational and rarely find myself standing 25 yards exactly away from all mobs and / or boss with no other mobs within 30 yards to the side or behind :P.

Also, Halo appears to ignore LOS, which is a nice bonus sometimes.

SLightly off topic, has anybody worked out what happens to Divine Star if you are standing say 10 yards infront of a wall? Does it go through or what?
    Last edited by mmocc2eb32b347; 2012-10-02 at 01:10 PM.

Currently Cascade is top for Holy & Disc but Halo is the top choice for Shadow. I personally use Cascade for Shadow too though. I do prefer the spell effect from Halo, but it is rated lower so I opt out of it for my healing specs.