Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    My question is why do you need characters on both sides? It's not like they would cooperate with one another, lest they be labeled as traitors/spies. It seems a bit silly if you would need to do something on each side.

bioware wants you to play the game more, forcing you to have characters on both sides encourages that. Its maybe also part of a plan to balance out the faction imbalance a bit.

If you're asking why your characters would interact with each other, well thats completely up to you and your RP, my 3 main characters are brothers, seperated at birth, on given to the sith (warrior), one to the jedi (knight) and one to slavery (inquisitor). of course they will help each other to get that fancy assassin droid.

you might call that arbitrary, but this an RPG, even an MMORPG where you are supposed to build your characters on your own by a fair amount. SWTOR with its many choices especially encourages players to do exacly that. you are supposed to find your own reasons for your characters to work together. apart from that, the republic and empire do work together on many occasions in the game. battle for ilum for instance or I just did the hoth quests with my knight where you take down the gang leader with imperial troops. it may be uncommon, but there are several examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
    I loved levelling my vanguard to 50 and still play him a bit, but I was motivated by the hk-51 trailer lol.
    The same with my trooper, purely for HK but I enjoyed him along the way. Pushed me to make a mercenary even though I already played the bounty hunter story.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    bioware wants you to play the game more, forcing you to have characters on both sides encourages that. Its maybe also part of a plan to balance out the faction imbalance a bit.
    If not for the HK companion.... republic side pvp would have scared me away in the first 10 levels.... aweful. I had an easier time with my 4-5 imperial twinks. However....

Currently the legacy tree is for exactly nothing but to check your characters names in case you are too lazy to log off. I would really like for Bioware to make it count who is connected to whom in the tree and to include it in future story content.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    I would really like for Bioware to make it count who is connected to whom in the tree and to include it in future story content.
    yeah, thats one of those ancient things that was hinted at before launch. epic confrontations between your characters, similiar to vader vs. luke. but I really doubt we will ever see that now.

Before long everyone will have this guy following them around.

What do you guys think, will he have changeable bonus stats for crafting; two fixed stats for crafting; none at all?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    If you're asking why your characters would interact with each other, well thats completely up to you and your RP, my 3 main characters are brothers, seperated at birth, on given to the sith (warrior), one to the jedi (knight) and one to slavery (inquisitor). of course they will help each other to get that fancy assassin droid.

you might call that arbitrary, but this an RPG, even an MMORPG where you are supposed to build your characters on your own by a fair amount. SWTOR with its many choices especially encourages players to do exacly that. you are supposed to find your own reasons for your characters to work together.
    This is an RPG, based on very intensive lore and a film franchise that already exists. To think that our characters, who are elevated to the highest level of importance during the course of our story, could just wantonly dabble with the enemy and come away with no consequences is not RP. It's utter bs.

Unless you play a smuggler or bounty hunter, maybe an IA, or have the potential to switch sides (which just doesn't exist) you are written to believe that you are on a faction by your desire and/or their graces. Jedi Knight helps Sith, Jedi is exiled from the order by force or willingly. Sith helps jedi, sith is murdered.

I'm sorry, but the limitations of the game's design make it that way. Sure you might make sketchy decisions in your story, betray some people, cooperate midly out of necessity, but you don't help your enemy acquire WMDs and just trot away like nothing happened. It's fine if the defense is that we will have to see how the quest is written, but saying 'this is RP' is nonsense.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-10-02 at 02:23 PM.

What do you guys think, will he have changeable bonus stats for crafting; two fixed stats for crafting; none at all?
    This was mentioned:

Question regarding HK-51 and crewskill | 08.31.2012, 10:27 AM
    We asked Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer) whether HK-51 would give players an additional Crew Skills deployment. He said that right now we plan on keeping the maximum deployed at 5. Regarding his bonuses, he'll have a small efficiency bonus to all Mission Skills and a small critical bonus to all Crafting Skills.
    source: http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php?page=6

Personally I would like it to be the other way around. Crit bonus on missions skills and efficiency on crafting but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    This is an RPG, based on very intensive lore and a film franchise that already exists. To think that our characters, who are elevated to the highest level of importance during the course of our story, could just wantonly dabble with the enemy and come away with no consequences is not RP. It's utter bs.

Unless you play a smuggler or bounty hunter, maybe an IA, or have the potential to switch sides (which just doesn't exist) you are written to believe that you are on a faction by your desire and/or their graces. Jedi Knight helps Sith, Jedi is exiled from the order by force or willingly. Sith helps jedi, sith is murdered.

I'm sorry, but the limitations of the game's design make it that way. Sure you might make sketchy decisions in your story, betray some people, cooperate midly out of necessity, but you don't help your enemy acquire WMDs and just trot away like nothing happened. It's fine if the defense is that we will have to see how the quest is written, but saying 'this is RP' is nonsense.
    I don't agree, RP is what you make of it. The agent story very much combines both sides and you actually are harming "your" side to get deeper undercover.

Deleted
    Meh, I hope he'll be available through solo play. Would be quite the bummer having to access raid content or such just to aquire a companion. I mean its HK, should be available to everyone.

I doubt they can risk having such an iconic companion not being available through solo play, or maximum quests of 4 players wich in the end would be silly aswell considering your unlocking a companion. If they make him untouchable for the majority they'll quickly see a reduction of subs/players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marverick66 View Post
    Meh, I hope he'll be available through solo play. Would be quite the bummer having to access raid content or such just to aquire a companion. I mean its HK, should be available to everyone.

I doubt they can risk having such an iconic companion not being available through solo play, or maximum quests of 4 players wich in the end would be silly aswell considering your unlocking a companion. If they make him untouchable for the majority they'll quickly see a reduction of subs/players.
    Its an iconic game character- so they want to make it feel epic for having it. If every single player could get it on a whim, then it would lose its epic-ness. What is wrong with working for something that is awesome, especially if its HK?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Its an iconic game character- so they want to make it feel epic for having it. If every single player could get it on a whim, then it would lose its epic-ness. What is wrong with working for something that is awesome, especially if its HK?
    There is a difference between working for something and having it only obtainable through guild effort. Having HK only in there for the selected few isn't what its about. If you have him in there make it hard but accessible for everyone, meaning solo play.

Whats the point of having him in there just through Ops? And will you have to run both characters through Ops then? I think it'll have something to do with Raven and the new planet that will be released.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would hope they don't make it where you need toons on both sides. Not so much because I don't want to level a pub (I already have) but it would be incredibly stupid to make my imp and pub work together for anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    This horse basically has been dead for years, so in the most condensed form I am capable of:
    They want to sell an entertainment product. Smart money says entertain many of you customers, not make a handful feel "epic" with the money of the rest. This is an effing game. Not work. I pay for it. Most adults associate "work" with being paid, not paying yourself. If what sounds to be and based on experience in KOTOR 1 and 2 might very well be the most interesting companion this game has to offer, requires me to set foot in a raid, I will stop giving them money. Forever. And I will let them know why I stopped giving them money.

Or even shorter: there is nothing "wrong" with making your customers jump over abitrary bars. It will just make some of them stop being customers.

Deleted
    Dont know what all the hypes about. You cant even use ur companions in PVP anyway, and as a mara, the only usefull one is a healer, any dps comp ur having to constantly stop to heal urself. I cant imagine his going to be anymore powerfull then the other companions. But hey something different i guess.

I don't think anything will be hard (grindy hard) for me in a game ever again, said Loremaster Vizzle the Insane. Pre-Cata, too. Post-cata much less impressive.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't think anything will be hard (grindy hard) for me in a game ever again, said Loremaster Vizzle the Insane. Pre-Cata, too. Post-cata much less impressive.
    Wintersaber tiger prenerf or gtfo.

I did it.

But, saying only your healing companion is usefull as a marauder is... no. On my sentinel for example I prefered to use T7... love his catchphrases.

Quote Originally Posted by Marverick66 View Post

other games required group/ raidcontent to complete quests... but I don't see it happening with a companion. You just need two chars on each side best possible lvl 50. Whatever the story will be should be judged when it's out, not now.

As for Reb + Imp working together... we all remember that story pre-release about that droid problem don't we?

other games required group/ raidcontent to complete quests... but I don't see it happening with a companion. You just need two chars on each side best possible lvl 50. Whatever the story will be should be judged when it's out, not now.

As for Reb + Imp working together... we all remember that story pre-release about that droid problem don't we?

From what BW said you don't even need 2 characters on each side at level 50.

Your starting quest character needs to be 50 and the opposite side toon needs to be mid level (so I would assume around 25-30).

As as far as them working together(Emp. and Rep.) I doubt it's works like that to be honest. They may both play in the quest and have parts but the main character I feel will do something more epic than the mid level toon to get access to HK. (The legacy perk will be that all your toons get access to him)

Deleted
    I recon it'll be something like you have to do the foundry/maelstrom prison + the false emperor and then finally on the new planet assemble your companion.

Just a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    I would hope they don't make it where you need toons on both sides. Not so much because I don't want to level a pub (I already have) but it would be incredibly stupid to make my imp and pub work together for anything.
    I think needing a toon on both factions is one of the things we do know is for sure.