Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well I don't think it's nearly as bad as Fencers says it is but I would like to see some different armors out there.

Not sure if you can classify Vindictus and C9 (Raiderz is similar format I believe as well) as they are just lobby games. Kind of a mix of GW1 and Diablo.

I did a bit of googling, very lazily, but still, just to gauge whats there

So Raidiant Arcana... well I don't know what your standards are - but it definitely isn't a AAA MMO, unless I am severely mistaken...
    Vindictus - you can fuse items, but I could not find how you would be able to give appearance of one to another, cant fuse different types though, so pretty much like gw2 just slightly inferior it seems.
    Rift - unless I am mistaken, it seem you can only transmute stats, but not looks?

At this point I stopped checking others (the ones I've not heard of) as Ive never heard of them, so if you think they are 3xA mmos - they don't defy the standard.

EQ2: I couldn't really find where you could transmute item looks and stats in EQ2 like in GW2, I am curious to find out more about this, so if you got source would be nice for some reading. Also about Dyeing, what can be dyed and how it works.

Aion: "Remodeling is a service that allows players to replace the appearance of an item by using the style (skin) of another item of the same type. This is also known as reskinning. It allows player to keep the same style while upgrading equipment" So same like GW2.

LOTRO: Cosmetic items only? no real armor transmuting? unless I am mistaken, again would be good to read about it more in depth if you have. But as far as I can see it is in no way 'superior' or mmo defing standard feature.

And to end this I am sure you know this that anet originally planned to have ability where you can mix dyes and such but they opted out of it and decided to go with predetermined dye system (most probably because of the gem store).

I think only really superior dyeing system (though I could not find much details) is Rift and Aion. I am happy to rad more about it to understand, but to claim that those features (more often inferior to GW2) is standard of current +A MMO's is bit far fetched.

I think your main gripe is lack of outfits and different armors and limited amount of aspects that can be dyed - to what I agree also, there should be more. The gem store really lacks variety.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    So Raidiant Arcana... well I don't know what your standards are - but it definitely isn't a AAA MMO, [...] At this point I stopped checking others (the ones I've not heard of) as Ive never heard of them, so if you think they are 3xA mmos - they don't defy the standard.
    In her defense - not that she needs it, she's a lady with bite and I do respect and appreciate that - neither you nor her specified "triple-A MMOs" anywhere.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I come from games where players can mix & match any item via gear transmutation &/or with non-destructive cosmetic systems. Dye-able individually &/or by section. With pre-made dye or player mixed dye. As well as instant hide/show any armor piece discretely from within the character sheet.
    I haven't played most of what you listed, and the ones I did play I didn't play for any longer periods of time, so please humor me... did any of these games feature a re-dying system as extensive (391 hues) and easily accessible (free and instant anywhere outside combat) as GW2?

Fair enough, only heard of rift, eq2 and aion with lotro, never heard of the rest. And they all have those as a standard, mix and match from light to heavy?
    Not all. That's why I said "&/or" as some have more freedom in customization to a greater or lesser degree than each other.

For example, Rift uses non destructive, multiple gear sets, instantly swappable, useable in combat. While Vindictus allows mix and match vanity gearing for combat and costuming, it doesn't have the clothes closet of Rift or hot swap outfit switching.

Where a game like Radiant Arcana has like no restrictions at all. Wanna be a heavy armor tank class with transmuted light armor wielding a butterfly wand? You can do that!

Best game, imo.

whilst I agree that GW2 would greatly benefit in more detail on what you can color (usual gear has like 3 parts only) I still think the dye system is pretty good and transmuting items works well in gw2.
    You're right, it does. I just want mmmooorrreee. I'm greedy.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-03 at 02:43 PM.

yeah i wouldnt mind some more, a lot more
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The dye system is nice, that's true, but it's still just dye. I can color my trench coat black or blue or red, but I still just have a ton of trenchcoats to choose from. Hell, even EverQuest had a dye system, but it didn't make a crappy item look any less crappy in the end.
    That's true, and I certainly didn't mean it to sound like "if they dye system is less impressive than in GW2 the game is substandard" - the reason I asked was rather because I enjoy the mix-and-match with dyes to make sets that, while not unique, does set me apart visually from Everyday Joe wearing the same type or even pieces of armor, and if another MMO offers that to the same or greater degree, I'd want to have a gander at that.

Also, while I'll grant that armor variation could use a bit of sprucing up, I'll also say that GW2 is one of the few, if not the only, MMORPG I've played where gear actually looks good within the first ten levels of playing. Not "AH MY GOD this greatsword is the bestest ever and shines in the dark and was arcanely forged by the grand archmage of the universe!", but certainly "this rifle with intricate silver details is amazing and I wouldn't be ashamed to have a weapon looking like it at level 80". Yes, I have saved that rifle on my warrior.

Yeah, I never really got why developers are so hung up on the idea of, "Heavy armor has to look like heavy armor, RAWR"
    Immersion, really. More people complain about the game breaking their immersion, than people complain about the game not breaking their immersion, thus it's both easier and makes more sense to appease the former crowd.

Yeah, I never really got why developers are so hung up on the idea of, "Heavy armor has to look like heavy armor, RAWR"
    Consistency. Identification.

It's fine when things are actually so. Often times they are not. So like, "Don't break my immersion, bro!" is pretty whatever when a hobbit wearing sunglasses & a white jumpsuit is standing 2 feet away from Sir Algon of the Glades & Order of the Spiked Crotch*.

IMMERSION.

*yes, i made this up because it amused me.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewarlord View Post
    Guild wars 2 lacks any fun and challenging end game PVE. PVP is good in this game but i think they focused to much into it and im mostly a PVE'r and once i saw videos on youtube and talked to a couple of 80's i realised nothing will be there for me in end game that i would actually enjoy. But its just my opinion
    So you imply that you've never played gw2 and are basing your "end game" experience on what others have said. Maybe you should find out for yourself and not believe every disgruntled wow fan looking for a new home that hated on gw2 for being innovative.

Well sure, sunglasses and a jumpsuit would be strange, but there's nothing immersion-breaking about a heavy armor wearing warrior having his armor look like a leather set or something.
    Preaching to the choir.

For years I tanked raids while wearing a wedding dress or corset/thigh high boots/bunny ears. My shield was a bouquet of blue flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Preaching to the choir.

For years I tanked raids while wearing a wedding dress or corset/thigh high boots/bunny ears. My shield was a bouquet of blue flowers.
    Oh god. I've always wanted to do that.

I mean, why not? I doubt a dragons foot will feel less heavy in tougher gear. >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    I did a bit of googling, very lazily, but still, just to gauge whats there

So Raidiant Arcana... well I don't know what your standards are - but it definitely isn't a AAA MMO, unless I am severely mistaken...
    Vindictus - you can fuse items, but I could not find how you would be able to give appearance of one to another, cant fuse different types though, so pretty much like gw2 just slightly inferior it seems.
    Rift - unless I am mistaken, it seem you can only transmute stats, but not looks?

At this point I stopped checking others (the ones I've not heard of) as Ive never heard of them, so if you think they are 3xA mmos - they don't defy the standard.

EQ2: I couldn't really find where you could transmute item looks and stats in EQ2 like in GW2, I am curious to find out more about this, so if you got source would be nice for some reading. Also about Dyeing, what can be dyed and how it works.

Aion: "Remodeling is a service that allows players to replace the appearance of an item by using the style (skin) of another item of the same type. This is also known as reskinning. It allows player to keep the same style while upgrading equipment" So same like GW2.

LOTRO: Cosmetic items only? no real armor transmuting? unless I am mistaken, again would be good to read about it more in depth if you have. But as far as I can see it is in no way 'superior' or mmo defing standard feature.

And to end this I am sure you know this that anet originally planned to have ability where you can mix dyes and such but they opted out of it and decided to go with predetermined dye system (most probably because of the gem store).

I think only really superior dyeing system (though I could not find much details) is Rift and Aion. I am happy to rad more about it to understand, but to claim that those features (more often inferior to GW2) is standard of current +A MMO's is bit far fetched.

I think your main gripe is lack of outfits and different armors and limited amount of aspects that can be dyed - to what I agree also, there should be more. The gem store really lacks variety.
    It doesn't matter if it's AAA, it's still an MMO.
    EQ2 changes model via an appearance slot. Have the item? Put it into the appearance slot. Quick change, no cost, no anything. Dyes come in one type, RBG if I remember correctly, pick whatever color, minimal and one time cost I believe. Believe it's two part, can't remember exactly.
    If you don't need to attune the item (example of an common / uncommon item), then you can transfer that among all characters. Believe it doesn't have an item type requirement other than weapon, though I may be wrong on that. I just remember my bard (chain) wearing some cloth and leather at points. Don't think I wore a plate though.

To stat transfer is exactly the same as taking one item's look and slap it onto another's appearance.
    Also reskin is not remodel. To replace an appearance is to take a completely different model set from a gear and use that as the appearance. A reskin is to take the same model and apply a different texture.

Plus, why keep saying inferior when it is exactly the same thing.

EQ2
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Appearance
    If you don't know by the description. Attune = soul binding it.
    LOTRO
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Outfitting
    It's the same as any appearance slots in other games. It is a much better method as it wastes nothing, costs nothing.
    It is the exact same result and costs nothing other than some clicking, overrides any appearance that you have yet keeps the same stats. Gives you customizations that are easy to flip around and make you look like a clown if you wish or make you look like whatever just as long as you have the item in the inventory. No gold cost, no real money cost, no npc, etc.

SWTOR's system is just taking an already item that you can shell out it's mods and such and stick it into another 'orange' item (another item with sockets), and it'd receive the same stats and will retain the appearance of the orange item. However, costs credits.

GW2's appearance change is no different than WoW's with the exception of adding a dye and pretty much the same as Tera's, except Tera also allows you a choice of RBG dyes. It is just taking another item, then destroying (not in WoW for this case) and transferring that appearance to another piece of gear.

Type google - Rift Dye. Receive nice article
    http://riftwardrobe.wikia.com/wiki/Dyes

Saying you can't find anything is a bit of a cop out.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-10-03 at 05:44 PM.

Here's the problem I have with the gear Transmutation in GW2 and comparing it to other MMOs. Cosmetic appearance in GW2 IS the end game. So I expect it to be a step above other games. RIFT, which has a just as good system, isn't even focused on cosmetic appearance it concentrates on raiding. If GW2 wasn't sold as a cosmetic centered game I'd bee cool with it, but only have 50 different Heavy chest pieces (including the 15 that are race specific so realistically 38 for any one hero) from lvl 1 - 80 is RIDICULOUS. I'm sorry but Anet really dropped the ball on this one, they need to at least DOUBLE whats in game now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephlim View Post
    Cosmetic appearance in GW2 IS the end game.
    I think you missed the part where the whole game is end game
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's AAA, it's still an MMO.
    EQ2 changes model via an appearance slot. Have the item? Put it into the appearance slot. Quick change, no cost, no anything. Dyes come in one type, RBG if I remember correctly, pick whatever color, minimal and one time cost I believe. Believe it's two part, can't remember exactly.
    If you don't need to attune the item (example of an common / uncommon item), then you can transfer that among all characters. Believe it doesn't have an item type requirement other than weapon, though I may be wrong on that. I just remember my bard (chain) wearing some cloth and leather at points. Don't think I wore a plate though.

To stat transfer is exactly the same as taking one item's look and slap it onto another's appearance.
    Also reskin is not remodel. To replace an appearance is to take a completely different model set from a gear and use that as the appearance. A reskin is to take the same model and apply a different texture.

Plus, why keep saying inferior when it is exactly the same thing.

EQ2
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Appearance
    If you don't know by the description. Attune = soul binding it.
    LOTRO
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Outfitting
    It's the same as any appearance slots in other games. It is a much better method as it wastes nothing, costs nothing.
    It is the exact same result and costs nothing other than some clicking, overrides any appearance that you have yet keeps the same stats. Gives you customizations that are easy to flip around and make you look like a clown if you wish or make you look like whatever just as long as you have the item in the inventory. No gold cost, no real money cost, no npc, etc.

SWTOR's system is just taking an already item that you can shell out it's mods and such and stick it into another 'orange' item (another item with sockets), and it'd receive the same stats and will retain the appearance of the orange item. However, costs credits.

GW2's appearance change is no different than WoW's with the exception of adding a dye and pretty much the same as Tera's, except Tera also allows you a choice of RBG dyes. It is just taking another item, then destroying (not in WoW for this case) and transferring that appearance to another piece of gear.

Type google - Rift Dye. Receive nice article
    http://riftwardrobe.wikia.com/wiki/Dyes

Saying you can't find anything is a bit of a cop out.
    Did you even read what I wrote or just had a reflexive reaction....?

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I think you missed the part where the whole game is end game

I think you missed the part where I have 100% map completion . Unless you think grinding random mobs is end game...

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you even read what I wrote or just had a reflexive reaction....?
    You're saying things about other games and how they do appearance slot.
    You lazily googled and didn't even acquired the most basic of articles.
    You're saying some of the other game's appearance methods are inferior when in fact they aren't any different.
    All I did was provide information and my own opinion, how you inferred that was up to you, apparently negatively though.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-10-04 at 02:55 AM.

Here's the problem I have with the gear Transmutation in GW2 and comparing it to other MMOs. Cosmetic appearance in GW2 IS the end game.
    Just because end game to you means getting blocked by some sort of artificially grindy doesn't mean that the end game is cosmetic. There are people out there who enjoy a longer journey with all the dynamic events (not just the ones that pop up on your screen while you are trying to complete a zone) while reading and listening to everything, roleplaying, pvp, etc. All those are valid "end game", your point is invalid no matter how you twist the meaning of end game.

I think you missed the part where I have 100% map completion . Unless you think grinding random mobs is end game...
    Then you have completed the game to your satisfaction level. Nothing more to do, and if you are bored I suggest you look elsewhere since nothing new is going to suddenly appear that will keep you interested. hopefully you don't think you were cheated out of $60 and got your money's worth of entertainment.

When I finally have 100% of the map complete, have finished my storyline and completed all the dungeons then I will probably just log in to play Spvp and WvW for a while. Since I'm a long way off on any of those things my $60 would of stretched out over 500hrs perhaps even more by then.

Some people will burn through the content and then complain there is nothing to do. When I finished other games like say metal gear solid I don't feel the need to log on to their forums and complain there is nothing to do after the credits roll. There is a limit and sounds like you've hit it.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    Then you have completed the game to your satisfaction level. Nothing more to do, and if you are bored I suggest you look elsewhere since nothing new is going to suddenly appear that will keep you interested. hopefully you don't think you were cheated out of $60 and got your money's worth of entertainment.

When I finally have 100% of the map complete, have finished my storyline and completed all the dungeons then I will probably just log in to play Spvp and WvW for a while. Since I'm a long way off on any of those things my $60 would of stretched out over 500hrs perhaps even more by then.

Some people will burn through the content and then complain there is nothing to do. When I finished other games like say metal gear solid I don't feel the need to log on to their forums and complain there is nothing to do after the credits roll. There is a limit and sounds like you've hit it.
    My sentiments exactly. Far too many expect anet to cave in to their demands and make this guild wars 2: wow edition. I for one find enough to do just leveling and can appreciate a game that doesn't force players to quickly rush through the leveling content just so they can jump on the gear hamster wheel.

By definition you can't be doing end game the whole way.

What people mean is what you do at max level doesn't drastically change from what you do while leveling. That's all fine and well, but in most games you can do what you did leveling when you are at max level. Its just then they have other things like raids at the end also.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2012-10-04 at 07:35 AM.