Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Maybe now they will buy server upgrades so people don't have to wait 3-4 hours in queue....

/sarcasm off

Deleted
    I think the initial sales curve is slower with MoP compared to earlier expansions since many had quit playing the game. They had to hear/read if MoP was any good first, before being sucked in again The true test of MoP:s greatness or not will be in the coming months..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    So sold less than Cata, and pretty much all of those million will be gone by next month.
    I'm not playing WoW (I find it silly that I have to say this or else be considered a fangirl) but that statement is asinine. 2.7 million is a lot, regardless of previous expansions, and there is no chance in hell they will all be gone in a month. There is content enough to sustain the playerbase for longer than that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    I wonder what whoever wrote that only 700k copies were sold is saying right now...
    Me too, but i wonder, 2.7m million of physical copies sold, or that number includes downloaded ones !?

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    It's pretty funny to see people arguing over whether or not a game with 3M expansions sales and 10M subscribers is dying. Some people really need some perspective.
    Thank you, I now have a new signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustra View Post
    It has been stated over and over again: the majority of players is not at max level. So ofcourse those haven't bought MoP yet.
    What are you kidding? After two years of Cataclysm they aren't at max level? It takes 12 hours to level from 80 to 85.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Good for them, how long those subs last is a whole nother story though. I can see 500k-1M leaving by January if content is sluggish again though. Only time will tell.
    Can see that number moving on again if they continue nerfing stuff like they already are doing.

BC was the lowest selling out the gate? That seems crazy considering how popular the game was, and for the very first expansion. Everyone I knew was absolutely buzzing about it before it was out.

Well, grats I suppose!

Deleted
    Considering the fact that there are 10M subscribers, I find 2,7M sold copies very very poor. It pretty much means that not even 1/3 of WoWs subscribers purchased MoP.

I can't believe how there are still people posting like this is bad news, comparing to previous expac sales. Seriously people, the MMO landscape is vaaaastly different from what it was when WoW launched and it's vastly different from when Cata launched. The fact that WoW, still a sub game in 2012, still manages to say "we have over 10 million subscribers" and sell almost 3 millions units of an expansion in its first week is something to be applauded. I think people who thinks "wow is dying" just because of those sales numbers don't know the first thing about the state of the gaming and MMO industry today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    BC was the lowest selling out the gate? That seems crazy considering how popular the game was, and for the very first expansion. Everyone I knew was absolutely buzzing about it before it was out.

Well, grats I suppose!
    WoW had much less subscriptions at the end vanilla than now. TBC continued the mad growth of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post

Well, grats I suppose!
    It was the weakest selling because back then the game had a relatively smaller playerbase. Yes it was in the millions, and thats a ton of people, but as the game got older it became more popular. Wotlk/Cata was where WoW imo became mainstream popular. BC was just the starting point that proved to people the game had something going for it. It was after the success story of BC that people started trying the game out more, hence the increase in sales, even if people don't think the later expansions were up to par with BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddickcz View Post
    Considering the fact that there are 10M subscribers, I find 2,7M sold copies very very poor. It pretty much means that not even 1/3 of WoWs subscribers purchased MoP.
    You do realise not everyone is an early adopter, right? I know a few people who will be waiting a little before buying MoP. They can already make a Panda, they have pet battles...it's new content without the new box. They don't need it right away.

So what are the first day numbers for mop?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why anyone is obsessed with first-day or first-week numbers. What ultimately matters is the trend in subscription levels over the next few months.

Deleted
    was obvious as other games just were bad so the mass came back to WoW...even me after years (since end BC) and I think this game is awesome

Anyone know how many subscribers there were for Cata's and Wrath's release? For comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    First week and and of course it is declining, the basics in the game is 8 years old, GW2 and Tera and those have probably been forgotten for 5-6 years in 8 years. atleast in wow´s case it took over 6 years for it to decline, most other "wow killers"games less than a month for the decline.
    I personally wouldnt blame age, the quality of the game has gone down a lot since the old devs left and started working on Titan

"It sold less than Cata lol" It sold less than Cata BECAUSE of Cata. THINK for 1 fucking second it's not that hard.

Also Cata sold 3.3M. Why did it have 10M subs? God people will use EVERYTHING in their power to bash the King of MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I'm not playing WoW (I find it silly that I have to say this or else be considered a fangirl) but that statement is asinine. 2.7 million is a lot, regardless of previous expansions, and there is no chance in hell they will all be gone in a month. There is content enough to sustain the playerbase for longer than that.
    If you are not playing wow, why are you reading a wow website?
    I wanna go back to my trainer and learn a new spell in the next expansion! And we all need to be able to fly from day 1 ! (And fly over the Exodar and Silvermoon on our own mounts!)