Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    A buddy of mine has about 600 hours played, clsoing in to 10k elite packs killed, never found one single item that sold over 1 million gold.
    I have about 300 hours played, Don't know about the number of elite packs, should be around 3-4k (I'm not the fastest player in the world), found one item that sold after four attempts for 2.5 mio gold, one for 1.5 mio, one for 500k, and other then that, nothing > 250k, if it has 6 digits at all, if it is worth selling at all.
    Both your and your friend's number of packs killed are very low for the time spent.

You may claim that you're playing the game for fun and shouldn't have to do a cookie cutter spec to kill faster, but if you want to get more chances at good loot, you need to swallow your pride. Make a small concession here for greater rewards down the road. Faster kills = more drops = more chances at good rares as well as more legendaries. When I began to read about my class and the various specs, I began to alter my gear - in fact, I ended up selling some expensive gear and getting cheaper gear which was actually better for my spec. I began killing much faster even though my character sheet damage was lower, due to understanding my spec. With the speed came more legendaries and good rares, as well as more paragon levels and thus more MF. The GF is noticeable as well, I finally started getting piles of 2k+. It's like life regen for my gold amount - it keeps going up steadily as I play. If you're curious, I play a WD with the "Spirit Bears" spec as explained on diablofans.

You may also claim that you haven't gotten enough drops to afford good gear to kill faster, but it really isn't that expensive if you fully understand your class and spec and mix + match the required stats on your gear while avoiding the sub-optimal stats which only add to the price of gear. Especially now that we can sort by time left in order to bid on gear more easily, there's no merit in the excuse of "I can't afford it".

Lastly, while legendaries are fun to get, most aren't worth that much. It's much more important to recognize a good rare when you see it. This is not as easy as it sounds, as I keep saying even I - the person saying that a part of the problem is nonrecognition of good rares - have most likely sold good rares to the vendor out of ignorance. But I at least make the attempt to improve my recognition, while others lament their situation and do nothing. I am certain this is the difference. I find good rares all the time. Just a few days back I found a quiver (iLvl 61 - so if you're only picking up max level stuff, that's part of the problem) which had high dex + vit + crit, sold it for 5m. But if you're sitting there going "woe is me!" instead of scrutinizing the stuff you get you're likely to just vendor it.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, it's not my intent. I only want to help people enjoy what is a very good game, because the changes they ask for would make it a much worse game if implemented.

I'm farming the shit out of act 2. not getting any proper drops. trying to farm act3, I get my ass raped. like 8 attempts until I kill something if the affixes are like molton mortar fire chains desecrator soul ripper mobs. so it is not efficient for farming. going back to act 2, bad loots again.
    From the limited information I can say it sounds like your damage is low. If you want me to take a look at your profile just post it, or PM me with it, for a few quick bits of advice - but you'd do better to gain a more thorough understanding by reading your class forum at diablofans.com. And if you can't find what y ou want there, the atmosphere there is quite friendly to "Help me out: <profile link>" threads.

For what it's worth, many of my best drops have come from act 1-2. You get a lower percent of iLvl 61+ items, true, but you can kill so much faster in the lower acts that it helps to negate this. Further, monster power next patch - even low monster power - will make all monsters in Inferno 63, which is absolutely going to glut the market with better gear... so regardless of our discussion, it does sound like you guys have won - though we'll have to wait and see to know for sure.

a good thing would be: class specific items are guaranteed not to roll garbage stats for said class. e.g. a barb weapon cannot roll int or dex. a crossbow cannot roll str or int. a WD offhand cannot roll str or dex. class specific stats cannot roll with stats not useful for that class the same time (e.g. an increase in a barb skill dmg cannot roll together with dex or int).
    This would not work, it ignores the basic rules of supply and demand. More good class-specific items will simply glut the market, and the bar for what makes an item good will simply go up. Your chance of finding something worth $$ will remain the same.
    Last edited by Trotheus; 2012-09-26 at 07:17 PM.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenlol View Post
    A lot of people don't understand the kind of game Diablo is supposed to be, i.e they didn't play D2. They bought the game, followed the hype and had no clue.

Yeah.
    Two things about this argument

1. LOTS and I mean lots of the criticism coming from the game is coming from D2 vets who despise what the game has become. The formula that worked such magic in the past has been so soured now. Tl2 is really the classic version of D2 and it shows.
    2. Even if what you say is true (and I don't believe it for a minute) then Blizzard simply failed to evolve an archaic and old model into something new that would grab people. I mean it's not a good thing to say that Blizzard didn't deliver an experience that would meet a new market expectation or a new generation of gamers. In either case Blizzard screwed the pooch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Two things about this argument

1. LOTS and I mean lots of the criticism coming from the game is coming from D2 vets who despise what the game has become. The formula that worked such magic in the past has been so soured now. Tl2 is really the classic version of D2 and it shows.
    2. Even if what you say is true (and I don't believe it for a minute) then Blizzard simply failed to evolve an archaic and old model into something new that would grab people. I mean it's not a good thing to say that Blizzard didn't deliver an experience that would meet a new market expectation or a new generation of gamers. In either case Blizzard screwed the pooch.
    Have to agree with this. Even though I still play Diablo 3 it has obvious flaws. Diablo 2 was a working concept (it went through a similar phase as D3 where D2 classic was a promising game but not dead on the mark yet - the developers learned and gave us the masterpiece that was D2:LoD), and Diablo 3 took the risk of changing a lot of things that really didn't needed changing. They didn't learn from D2 classic and made the same mistakes again. Generally speaking D3 did a lot of things right, the gameplay for one is amazing but they also did a lot of things wrong; itemization first and foremost, and lack of customization (especially through gear which was their main selling point).

I've been playing this franchise since Diablo 1 and it has evolved a lot to a more casual player friendly approach, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but D3 went a step too far by taking away meaningful choices. D3 expansion should focus on fixing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Have to agree with this. Even though I still play Diablo 3 it has obvious flaws. Diablo 2 was a working concept (it went through a similar phase as D3 where D2 classic was a promising game but not dead on the mark yet - the developers learned and gave us the masterpiece that was D2:LoD), and Diablo 3 took the risk of changing a lot of things that really didn't needed changing. They didn't learn from D2 classic and made the same mistakes again. Generally speaking D3 did a lot of things right, the gameplay for one is amazing but they also did a lot of things wrong; itemization first and foremost, and lack of customization (especially through gear which was their main selling point).

I've been playing this franchise since Diablo 1 and it has evolved a lot to a more casual player friendly approach, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but D3 went a step too far by taking away meaningful choices. D3 expansion should focus on fixing this.
    It basically tries to appeal to everybody and in the end it's hard to say who it does appeal to. I disagree about having to buy an expansion to fix this though. Frankly that's a load of bunk. Bringing the game up to the par of it's sequel (or it's 15 dollar competition) shouldn't require me to buy an expansion. The expansion SHOULD give us something new and interesting and compelling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    It basically tries to appeal to everybody and in the end it's hard to say who it does appeal to. I disagree about having to buy an expansion to fix this though. Frankly that's a load of bunk. Bringing the game up to the par of it's sequel (or it's 15 dollar competition) shouldn't require me to buy an expansion. The expansion SHOULD give us something new and interesting and compelling.
    I agree with you, and I also think Blizzard is trying to fix it but I'm afraid that it will require sweeping changes that are outside the scope of a patch. With most of their team working on PvP I just don't see that happen. We can only hope they learn from Torchlight 2, and Diablo 2: LoD in the meantime.

Rares being the best items is in principle a nice concept but it didn't work in D2 classic either. People are much rather interested in set items and legendaries. TL2 understands this, D2: LoD understood this. Time D3 learns this as well. Furthermore, the primary stats need a major overhaul (as I've stated before but sadly will be outside the scope of a patch). We need charms. We need Runewords. We need better affixes/suffixes. Away with the crappy crit/crit dmg. It's boring - especially cause every freaking build revolves around them. We need cursed items (like D1). We need a character progression beyond level 30 (ie level 99 for a start). We need random monsters in inferno (just like LoD after patch 1.12 - think that was the one). We need better drops from act/story bosses - killing Zoltan Kulle is a joke and not even worth the effort. We need better drops from super uniques (killing them is a waste of time even though they die in 1-2 seconds - buff them if need be). Well I'm sure there's plenty of things the community can come up with to fix D3 short term without really needing major fixes.

I agree with you, and I also think Blizzard is trying to fix it but I'm afraid that it will require sweeping changes that are outside the scope of a patch. With most of their team working on PvP I just don't see that happen. We can only hope they learn from Torchlight 2, and Diablo 2: LoD in the meantime.

Rares being the best items is in principle a nice concept but it didn't work in D2 classic either. People are much rather interested in set items and legendaries. TL2 understands this, D2: LoD understood this. Time D3 learns this as well. Furthermore, the primary stats need a major overhaul (as I've stated before but sadly will be outside the scope of a patch). We need charms. We need Runewords. We need better affixes/suffixes. Away with the crappy crit/crit dmg. It's boring - especially cause every freaking build revolves around them. We need cursed items (like D1). We need a character progression beyond level 30 (ie level 99 for a start). We need random monsters in inferno (just like LoD after patch 1.12 - think that was the one). We need better drops from act/story bosses - killing Zoltan Kulle is a joke and not even worth the effort. We need better drops from super uniques (killing them is a waste of time even though they die in 1-2 seconds - buff them if need be). Well I'm sure there's plenty of things the community can come up with to fix D3 short term without really needing major fixes.
    I agree with almost everythig in this post.

On the @OP, yea, i'm bored as well, every single day i ceom from work i try to login and have some fun, but something is missing, like many have said before, D3 got so many things right but then so many things wrong, i just hope they fix this.

PS: I went for Path of Exile and TL2 as a side game and i wish Blizz would look at those games and get some ideas from them, cause i still love the Diablo series.

Actually I disagree with the last two posters' feelings that uniques/legendaries and sets should be the best items. I think it makes the game incredibly bland when everyone wears the same exact gear and the only difference is how perfect a stat roll you can afford. This is one of the biggest problems I had with LoD and the main reason I could never get into it - I always played D2 classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotheus View Post
    Actually I disagree with the last two posters' feelings that uniques/legendaries and sets should be the best items. I think it makes the game incredibly bland when everyone wears the same exact gear and the only difference is how perfect a stat roll you can afford. This is one of the biggest problems I had with LoD and the main reason I could never get into it - I always played D2 classic.
    I can live with rares beeing on the top, reason i loved my barb with huge rare spears in diablo 2 classic, i just think we should have something like, white > blue > rare > uniques > rares with a perfect (or close to) roll

What I don't understand is how you people keep playing it eventhough there is little to no progression and you farm the same stuff (mobs and places) all over again only hoping to be lucky and get some decent drops (which haven't happened for me yet)- I was promised a fun replayability and dynamically changing environment - what I got was a game that CHANGES nothing, makes you go through everything 4x where the only difference is higher health and damage on mobs. I am not even gonna talk about how lacking the armor/weapons are in terms of looks etc. It's unrewarding and unfun to play and for example with my monk I am more or less forced into one build to play effectively. And there's still no PvP, months after release. I thought it would be ready in weeks. Bored and unsatisfied, this was my worst buy of the year, disapointment and sadness... Thank god for Dota 2 and GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by ImYourDestiny View Post
    What I don't understand is how you people keep playing it eventhough there is little to no progression and you farm the same stuff (mobs and places) all over again only hoping to be lucky and get some decent drops (which haven't happened for me yet)- I was promised a fun replayability and dynamically changing environment - what I got was a game that CHANGES nothing, makes you go through everything 4x where the only difference is higher health and damage on mobs. I am not even gonna talk about how lacking the armor/weapons are in terms of looks etc. It's unrewarding and unfun to play and for example with my monk I am more or less forced into one build to play effectively. And there's still no PvP, months after release. I thought it would be ready in weeks. Bored and unsatisfied, this was my worst buy of the year, disapointment and sadness... Thank god for Dota 2 and GW2.
    People can bash the rmah but it keeps a lot of people playing. The chance you can find something actually worth money is the replay value.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    People can bash the rmah but it keeps a lot of people playing. The chance you can find something actually worth money is the replay value.
    If that is the design then... wow. So you gamble. Awesome. Really awesome.

If that is the design then... wow. So you gamble. Awesome. Really awesome.
    The basic philosophy of Diablo games is that they're a gamble. Everything is a gamble. The map specifics are random. Affixes on monsters are random. Affixes on rares are random. You're just now realizing tihs?

What I don't understand is how you people keep playing it
    I'm still somewhat enjoying it, though I play less now than I did at first. What I don't understand is how you ostensibly hate the game, and yet here you are talking about it instead of playing another game o.O

If you get bored with Diablo 3, try the Torchlight 2 demo.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I think the same of GW2. Worst disappointment of the year for me. Opinions differ.

Deleted
    And I think the same of GW2. Worst disappointment of the year for me. Opinions differ.
    Worst disappointment? You must be joking.