Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So when they put the numbers about subs that are sky high 10 millions, you mean there's 7 millions chinesse ?

Lol

Deleted
    They sold 2.7 million copies but they sold more than double that in digital copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    Remember that the statistics are a bit botched.
    Seeing as they gave free days for mists of pandaria release.
    So once these "ghosts" disappear the subs will be a lot lower.
    What free days for MoP? I don't know what you are talking about.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    While I agree WoW is not going anywhere, 10m x $15 is also a wrong data. A huge chunk of WoW subs comes from China (more than half? I am not sure) and they have there a completly different payment model. Afaik you pay per time spent online and it usually amounts for much less than 15$ per month. Not to mention not everything from it ends at Blizzard as WoW China is operated by a different company.

Edit: There I checked it now. WoW peaked with a bit over 5 millions subs in western countries. The rest of the 12mln pie was from Asia. When you think about it, I still wonder if we should compare the 10m/12m figure with other games. I remember when things like Lineage had huge subs base in Korea it was mostly ignored as people claimed "nobody cares about Korean market". Granted, when counting only western countries still 4-5mln subs looks damn impressive but it is also a lot less wow-ish (pun intended) than 10-12mln.
    How do we know what the Internet Cafe monthly amounts average out to? I don't think I've ever seen anything about that. It could well be more than $15 per month.

I think I'm gonna quit this dead game now. God, people are retarded. And insane

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    They sold 2.7 million copies but they sold more than double that in digital copies.
    The 2.7mil number counts the digital copies. It would be ignorant for a company not to announce the highest number.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    It is still far less than any other expansion by the first week, and Asia have never been included before either.

It is not strange that a game with 9M+ subs will sell their expansion in the first week. I really thought it should be more. A lot more.
    We will of course see a small increase of subs the first couple of months, because many are curious and want to see what it is.

I am pretty sure that it will go down after a couple of month again when people see that it is still "same old, same old". Doesnt matter how much make up you put on a pig, it will still be a pig..

I dont think WoW is dying by far, but I think we will see a steady decline in subs for a long time. WoW will still be the biggest MMORPG on the market for many many years to come. I dont mind that, I still think WoW is a good game, but for me it is not fun anymore, played it to long I guess, and if you dont enjoy it anymore you shouldnt play it imho. I tried MoP in late beta, and I wasnt impressed at all, so I play "less popular games" that I really enjoy even if they only have a fraction of the player base WoW has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Ooh wow, muchtoohigh thinks the game is going in a bad direction.. What a surprise!

Go ahead, put that head as deep in the sand as you can and ignore how WoW AGAIN beats all competition for the 4th expansion in a row.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 07:40 AM ----------

See, and this reasoning is exactly why you aren't CEO and won't ever get more money in your hands than the weekly allowance from your mom.

Now you can try to talk to the CEO, but he can't hear you over the sound of his 80 million.
    Dude... insulting posters without constructive/counter responses pertaining to the topic at-hand is against the TOC....

...and may I also add in that calling people "childish" by saying guff like "...won't ever get more money in your hands than the weekly allowance from your mom." is most CERTAINLY not allowed on these forums!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    If I was the ceo of blizzard and watching their biggest cash cow losing subs year after year I would be hitting the alarm bell. WoW is lost in some kind of causal/hardcore battle.
    The fact that there are so much more other MMO's now than there was back in vanilla/tbc doesn't have anything to do with it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Suizid View Post
    The fact that there are so much more other MMO's now than there was back in vanilla/tbc doesn't have anything to do with it I guess.
    I think it's actually both and then some... TBH - there's a lot of problems going on it seems - both internally at Blizz and in the audience in general. I'm not envious of Blizz's position right now - that's for sure. :P

But MoP is thankfully aimed at a lot of right directions by trying to please BOTH crowds. (...I'm still waiting for these so-called predictions of "players will demand Challenge modes to be nerfed" threads to come true...funny how those threads are NOT showing up when Challenge modes are not a c&$*ckblock to gear-progression...)

But the largest problem Blizz has to face right now is restoring customer faith after the debacle that was Cataclysm...

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I think it's actually both and then some... TBH - there's a lot of problems going on it seems - both internally at Blizz and in the audience in general. I'm not envious of Blizz's position right now - that's for sure. :P

But MoP is thankfully aimed at a lot of right directions by trying to please BOTH crowds. (...I'm still waiting for these so-called predictions of "players will demand Challenge modes to be nerfed" threads to come true...funny how those threads are NOT showing up when Challenge modes are not a c&$*ckblock to gear-progression...)

But the largest problem Blizz has to face right now is restoring customer faith after the debacle that was Cataclysm...
    Even more so now that China has caught up to the west in terms of content. Before they were playing catchup and were and expansion behind at some stage. Now blizzard really needs to push the content out faster as it will affect the entire 10million playerbase and not just the 40% in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Ooh wow, muchtoohigh thinks the game is going in a bad direction.. What a surprise!

Go ahead, put that head as deep in the sand as you can and ignore how WoW AGAIN beats all competition for the 4th expansion in a row.[COLOR="red"]

See, and this reasoning is exactly why you aren't CEO and won't ever get more money in your hands than the weekly allowance from your mom.

Now you can try to talk to the CEO, but he can't hear you over the sound of his 80 million.
    Everytime I see a kangaroo icon next to a post I expect to read an avalanche of agitated fanboy dribble quickly jumping on anyone that has anything remotely bad to say about WoW. thanks for not disappointing.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post
    It is still far less than any other expansion by the first week, and Asia have never been included before either.

It is not strange that a game with 9M+ subs will sell their expansion in the first week. I really thought it should be more. A lot more.
    We will of course see a small increase of subs the first couple of months, because many are curious and want to see what it is.

I am pretty sure that it will go down after a couple of month again when people see that it is still "same old, same old". Doesnt matter how much make up you put on a pig, it will still be a pig..

I dont think WoW is dying by far, but I think we will see a steady decline in subs for a long time. WoW will still be the biggest MMORPG on the market for many many years to come. I dont mind that, I still think WoW is a good game, but for me it is not fun anymore, played it to long I guess, and if you dont enjoy it anymore you shouldnt play it imho. I tried MoP in late beta, and I wasnt impressed at all, so I play "less popular games" that I really enjoy even if they only have a fraction of the player base WoW has.
    I like your attitude, great way to look at things. After I have cleared the content in LFR in a month from now I will be taking a break and getting through some single player games I still need to get through while waiting for Planetside 2. My Sub ends middle November so perfect timing after LFR has been out for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

I agree 100%. I think a lot of people came back to give Blizz a second chance, if Blizz fails to follow through with their promise of more frequent content updates I don't think those people will come back again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    Everytime I see a kangaroo icon next to a post I expect to read an avalanche of agitated fanboy dribble quickly jumping on anyone that has anything remotely bad to say about WoW. thanks for not disappointing.
    Maybe he feels the same about your GW2 avatar, this is a wow fan site after all.

Deleted
    So were still obsessed about blizzards numbers then

Rememeber when WoW first came out there wasn't as many people playing games on their pc's, WoW pushed the pc market through the roof, many people bought a pc to play WoW. Since then some other really good games have been made and people are playing them, so the pc population have spread out a bit now.
    As far as i'm concerned, as long as there's still plenty of people to make things like raiding etc happen i'm happy enough and as long as there's still people out there to make pages and pages of resources dedicated to wow i've got plenty to fill my time with.

I play a medium populated server and there are still so many people around, you can't go to many new places without finding someone. From what i understand as well alot of servers are one in one out at the moment. So i really wouldn't worry about WoW being dead It's still the king of MMO's and in my eyes still nothing has come close. The only thing to take it down will be 'titan' and even then i believe wow will become one of those 'classic' games which will always have servers up and people playing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkey View Post
    So were still obsessed about blizzards numbers then

Rememeber when WoW first came out there wasn't as many people playing games on their pc's, WoW pushed the pc market through the roof, many people bought a pc to play WoW. Since then some other really good games have been made and people are playing them, so the pc population have spread out a bit now.
    As far as i'm concerned, as long as there's still plenty of people to make things like raiding etc happen i'm happy enough and as long as there's still people out there to make pages and pages of resources dedicated to wow i've got plenty to fill my time with.

I play a medium populated server and there are still so many people around, you can't go to many new places without finding someone. From what i understand as well alot of servers are one in one out at the moment. So i really wouldn't worry about WoW being dead It's still the king of MMO's and in my eyes still nothing has come close. The only thing to take it down will be 'titan' and even then i believe wow will become one of those 'classic' games which will always have servers up and people playing it.
    Uhm, in my humble opinion, not even Titan will be able to overshadow the grandeur of WoW. It's not just about sheer quality, it's about the right time, the impact on the market and on the gaming community.
    It's benchmark, and benchmarks lasts for very long (i don't like the word "forever").
    The jump from 0 to 1 (i beg you pardon to consider EQ and Ultima a zero, it's not about quality but mainstream popularity), will always be more relevant and "special", than any other successive step.
    Numbers are numbers, you can talk about them all time you want. The greatness of the game doesn't change.

This from a former player, with not even the remotely will to be back, but with a lot of respect for what the game did, does and will do, regardless.
    Last edited by mmoc6322d2f7bc; 2012-10-05 at 09:38 AM.

Deleted
    WoW loses subscriptions
    --> WoW is dying

WoW gains subscriptions
    --> They sold less copies, WoW is dying

Deleted
    Just as I said, when a new expansion comes the numbers grow quite a bit. I did say they might reach 10.5 or even close to 11 million with this. However, it depends on the expansion content alone if said people will remain or they'll just have bought an expansion to try it out.

That said, 2.7 million in first week... while even BC got 2.4 in first day. This means that MoP is, now, the worst selling expansion to date. I think it's safe to say that people have not so much trust anymore in Blizzard after Cataclysm and as such waited to see what's the deal with MoP before throwing money like before.

As I said, if MoP is a good expansion it will be seen from first quarter of 2013 since by then the hype will have died down and people will start to leave if no new content is brought to them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    So when they put the numbers about subs that are sky high 10 millions, you mean there's 7 millions chinesse ?

Lol
    Way to go smartiepants. 10 million subs minus 2.7 million MoP owners = 7.3 million non-MoP owners. Need me to spell that out in a simpler way for you to understand?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ituhippi View Post
    Way to go smartiepants. 10 million subs minus 2.7 million MoP owners = 7.3 million non-MoP owners. Need me to spell that out in a simpler way for you to understand?
    Will be interesting to see how many they sold in China though, because logically they'd sell 7.3million in China. If they don't, they have some people paying for the game on a regular basis without upgrading to an expansion as soon as it's available, which is weird. Still, quite curious on the next list of numbers.