Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Resto shaman healing analyzation

After healing stone guard last night with the 90s we had, I've been going over logs trying to help our various guildies and was hoping I could get some advice I could pass along to my resto shaman. His gear is obviously still in progress but I feel like he can make some adjustments to his healing which will yield some pretty good results.

First off his armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...c3%a4/advanced
    And the logs from stone guard last night: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/xibx7...ses&boss=60047

As of now here are the issues I see:

* He needs to get his riptide uptime up. There are too many pulls its 50% or worse
    * Earthshield needs to always be up. It spends too much time not being recast
    * He needs to spec into healing tide

He hasn't healed since WotLK so all things considered I feel like it could have been much worse and I feel great about that. Any suggestions / tips / hints would be awesome!

i have too many alts

tell him to download the addon - ShieldsUp will help him manage his ES/WS/LS uptime in all specs

by no means is my shaman the best but http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...otics/advanced

the first haste break point is like 871 i believe and until you can hit like 3700-3800 its a waste having anymore haste. Crit gives shaman a retarded amount of mana back and right now it should be your #1 stat. Anything past 50% mastery is not a waste but devalued compared to other stats.
    - Lostep -

I've been having a good time competing with others at the moment by just living by these rules:

Spec into primal elementalist for their +10% healing buff. (unleashed fury I never really liked unless you're a single target healer and you can predict incoming damage on someone)

Hit AT LEAST the first haste cap, secon if youre goblin or have the stats to reforge out of.

Value spirit > crit > mastery. An oom healer can't heal.

Glyph water shield for certain fights (see the Resto sticky)

Using Ascendance with elementals + HTT is insane for raid healing.

Make sure to correctly weave HST/MTT/HTT so that HST is always active when not on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by mashanu View Post
    Using Ascendance with elementals + HTT is insane for raid healing.
    keep in mind Ascendance does not effect your totems. Spreading these CDs out would be more effective i am only 4/6 so far and cant think of one fight we have done where using both would be anything but a over-healing mess
    - Lostep -

Quote Originally Posted by Xillian View Post
    After healing stone guard last night with the 90s we had, I've been going over logs trying to help our various guildies and was hoping I could get some advice I could pass along to my resto shaman. His gear is obviously still in progress but I feel like he can make some adjustments to his healing which will yield some pretty good results.

First off his armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...c3%a4/advanced
    And the logs from stone guard last night: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/xibx7...ses&boss=60047

As of now here are the issues I see:

* He needs to get his riptide uptime up. There are too many pulls its 50% or worse
    * Earthshield needs to always be up. It spends too much time not being recast

He hasn't healed since WotLK so all things considered I feel like it could have been much worse and I feel great about that. Any suggestions / tips / hints would be awesome!
    Here's some things about his gear spec:
    -Socket spirit/enchant spirit/reforge to spirit.
    -Spec into HTT and Primal Elementalist.
    -Drop as much haste as possible and get more crit. Try to get down to 871 haste. If that is not possible, have him spec out of AS and into EotE or EM.
    -Find a new trinket ASAP to replace Thousand-Year Pickled Egg.
    -Needs a third glyph. Glyph of HST is very strong.
    -Glyph of Riptide isn't too great, and he isn't taking advantage of it much anyway. Glyph of HW also isn't sting if he is only using HW 5 times a fight. Have him get Glyph of WS and Glyph of TC/Chaining.

Some problems with his healing are:
    -Earth shield uptime is atrocious. He should be looking to get to 90%+ uptime. Have him create a power aura telling him whenever it is not up (if he uses power auras).
    -If he is using riptide glyph, his uptime should be much higher, preferably 100%. With that glyph, riptide should be cast on anyone who is taking damage. If he changes the glyph, riptide should still be used on CD.
    -Use UE before putting down HR every time.
    -Use less chain heal and more HR, RT, GHW/HW. Chain heal is a nice and efficient spell, but RT (unglyphed), HR, and HW and are more efficient. Using HR more will also be a large HPS increase.

Overall, not too bad. Biggest problems he is most likely having is mana since is spirit levels are very low. With some better gear, and a few changes to what he is doing, his healing should increase greatly.

Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Biotics83 View Post
    keep in mind Ascendance does not effect your totems. Spreading these CDs out would be more effective i am only 4/6 so far and cant think of one fight we have done where using both would be anything but a over-healing mess
    I've found elementals to work very well with both HTT and Ascendance to pump out a lot of healing when needed, but yes using HTT and Ascendance at the same time is often a waste.
    \

Deleted
    I don't get why he uses chain heal so much :O When I did stone guard I think I had chain heal at like one of the bottom healing spells, and I was even assigned to heal the tank tanking the solo quilen + ranged dps. All we did was the ranged stacked on me. I could easily spot heal with HW and riptides, and when necessary I just used HR. I think I only used chain heal like maybe 4 or 5 times. Didnt have a mana issue either, then again I have quite better gear then your guildy so that helps a lot obviously but tbh, personally I see no reason to use chain heal on stone guard.

for stone guard we had healing problems we had 2 shamys 1 pally as shamans we had mana problems @ 20% of fight but on next try we starteed to use riptide glyphs and then we had no mana problems and i went mastery build insted of crit as this was nasty combo. glyph of totemic recal is so amazing gives mor mana back than resurgance and ws proc combined

Deleted
    my logs on stone guard : http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1307&e=1667 ( go to healing by spell )

5 spell at 15 % ( 20 % for Healing wave with the glyph )

Healing wave is a rly strong spell, and i love it. It's heal so much for his cost. HR is only 15% ( wich is first normally ) because we can't be pack often on this boss, but your shaman need to remember, he can use healing rain on 5 people ( he need to use unleashed life to buff the rain by 30% ), it's still done the better HPM. HST on cooldown. Elementals for 10% heal.

Feng :
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1307&e=1667

Elegon :
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3544&e=4100

A lot of packing, HR powa. Shaman are rly fine for this tier, and we are going to be a lot better in heroics mode with mastery .

I run with 6k spirit, 6k5 mastery, 2 k crit, and the first haste breakpoint. No mana problem.

Deleted
    I heard talents are optional.

its optional but mandatory i had on low hp targets 110 k crits

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pietrzyk View Post
    It is but healing tide totem is better then the other 2 for a restoration shaman, you could play around with conductivity but for max performance healing tide is the way to go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    It is but healing tide totem is better then the other 2 for a restoration shaman, you could play around with conductivity but for max performance healing tide is the way to go.
    I was thinking about Ascendance + Ancestral Guidance combo.

Deleted
    Won't be good if you combine that. Ancestral Guidance is fine alone too, close to HTT ( 2 min cooldown ), but HTT is still better, you can cast additionnal heal when you use it, so the output is even better by just comparing the healing done by these talents.

If you combine Ascendance with that, you lose a good CD, and for what i have seen, we need CD close to every minutes or less ( SLT, Ascendance, HTT can do that ( + elementals ? ) )

(I've healed stone guard being 455 ilevel healing a 445 ilevel tank, I've manage to put out 40k healing 9% overheal a downing the boss)

I'm gonna be straight, nothing could explain such low numbers except a serious lack of skill... It's not because of a talent a glyph a shield/riptide uptime, this shaman needs to rethink how he's playing his class because his spell usage is terrible

According to the log this guy is spamming HR (48% overheal!) and CH, with this playstile he's oom in 2 min then he casts a few GHW letting the other healer do the job... terrible strategy.

I would assign him to tank healing so he first learn a good usage of his mono-healing spell an mana management in 10 man you have to use mono heal spell a lot even if you're assign to raid healing.
    Shaman healer are really powerfull right now there's no excuses he needs to relearn spell uses.

Yes Healing tide is the way to go right now IMO
    Last edited by Rork; 2012-10-05 at 12:13 PM.

I was thinking about Ascendance + Ancestral Guidance combo.
    This combination would only allow you to cast single-target heals to get the full use out of it. It would also force you to pop 2 CDs at the same time, which have different CDs, meaning you would have to wait for Ascendance to be up before using AG. And then it would still do less healing than HTT, which takes one GCD and doesn't required you to change your healing rotation at all.
    \

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    /SNIP

This is his problem. He's healing like it's still TBC; Chain spam. Can't do that anymore, particularly at the beginning of an expansion with mana constraints.

My inner grammar nazi is twitching. There is no such thing as "analyzation". It's healing "analysis". I'm "anal", I know. >.> (Kinda like how there is no such thing as an "inscriptionist". It's a scribe, damnit!)

Quote Originally Posted by Selkinor View Post
    Out of curiosity, which trinkets is everyone using for Resto? I've got the Price of Progress and Vial of Ichorous Blood at the moment. Has anyone done the math on which two provide the most MP5?
    Price of Progress and Relic of Chi Ji offer the best MP5 Pre-Raid. Empty Fruit Barrel is the best alternative if you cannot get the DMC.
    \

Talents are still not really optional if you want to perform your raid role with maximum efficiency. Healing Tide is pretty much 100% mandatory for resto. Sure, you can get Ancestral Guidance to come close to it in healing done (when you factor the shorter CD in). However, to come even close to the HTT throughput, you need to burn through a ridiculous amount of mana. Conductivity, how it is currently balanced is absolutely terrible.

For PvE resto, taking anything but Healing Tide is just flat out wrong

Deleted
    I am speechless looking at his logs... There is no excuse at all for not knowing that you cannot mindlessly spam aoe healing spells anymore. Chain heal and Healing Rain should be used carefully knowing if it'll hit 4 (for chain heal) or 7-8 for Healing Rain. Otherwise it's just a waste of mana... Using Riptide Glyph, it should be up all the time, having a 100% uptime on someone atleast. Riptide the tank should do the tric, but even using the hot on people that take small dmg should be.

Imo the list should be Healing Wave, Healing Stream/Tide Totem and Riptide, all other abilities (depending on encounter) be below, because conserving mana is the best way to go and healing spells heal enough, overhealing is something you must avoid by all means. I'm not judging his gear, but I do agree with the above.

1) gem Spirit (your own opinion if you go fully blue gems or go for socket bonusses)
    2) Enchant for Spirit, if not Intellect
    3) Reforge to spirit if you only need it, I like to balance out Crit/Haste/Mastery (Resurgence do not forget this)

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    (I've healed stone guard being 455 ilevel healing a 445 ilevel tank, I've manage to put out 40k healing 9% overheal a downing the boss)

I'm gonna be straight, nothing could explain such low numbers except a serious lack of skill... It's not because of a talent a glyph a shield/riptide uptime, this shaman needs to rethink how he's playing his class because his spell usage is terrible

According to the log this guy is spamming HR (48% overheal!) and CH, with this playstile he's oom in 2 min then he casts a few GHW letting the other healer do the job... terrible strategy.

I would assign him to tank healing so he first learn a good usage of his mono-healing spell an mana management in 10 man you have to use mono heal spell a lot even if you're assign to raid healing.
    Shaman healer are really powerfull right now there's no excuses he needs to relearn spell uses.

Yes Healing tide is the way to go right now IMO
    It's entirely possible to keep HR and HST on cd without mana issues. So long as you place them fine being anal about overheal is a bit naive. Mana literally is not an issue if you don't suck at TC. There's so much free time in MV to throw LBs fo regen and WS glyph will give 50k more mana back than unglyphed on 5 of the 6 encounters.

Rork is right though that he's playing like he's in a 25 man environment and not the 10 he actually is in.

I am playing 25 man and I use riptide on things that take dmg UE HR on cd, keep HTT on cd at burst Alternate SLT, HTT , HST , PE fire and earth and ascendancy for bursts (epicenter, total annihilation elegon) and fill with CH/HW depending on packing since its 25. Replace CH with HW all the time hasted from tidal waves for 10 keeping ES up. Shamans are in a good place both mana and throughput so the amount he's doing is as Rork states a simple l2p issue.

Can someone raiding 25 playing 12.5% haste(871) and stacking crit link me a log of say feng or elegon. I've been playing 3764 haste since mop release then floating around 50% mastery kinda not fussing over crit that much and I still get a fair whack back from my 8% crit from resurgence would love to see how much more mana they get just from that excluding TC,WS glyph, mtt and price of progress.
    Last edited by navai; 2012-10-07 at 09:02 AM.