Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I thought I would like "no trinity" :(

It might be my personality. It might be my attitude. I'm not sure.

I have no problem being responsible for myself but I think I also like being responsible for others.
    I always chose one of the core trinity players. Mostly a tank. Last major role was a healer. I was never into the DPS role 100%

GW2 came alone and I went through the beta's and loved it. Have been playing since the 3 day head start and have been loving it. However, now I find myself missing a crucial piece that I like in my games. That is reputation.

I always enjoyed getting that tell: "Do you want to tank/heal for us? You are a good at what you do" or something along those lines.
    I miss that growing reputation of: If you want something done right in an important roll here are some people you can count on.

I know there are strategies in the dungeons and that is all well and good but they always seem to revolve around keeping yourself alive and "hoping" the others do as well.

Not sure I am clearly representing what I am trying to say here. But I thought I would jot it down. Maybe some agree, maybe some don't. Maybe its just me and I need a drink.
    Definitely not quitting the game this early though!

Roll a guardian, dress for heal power / toughness / vitality, and you can actually be quite the difference maker in a way that may satisfy you.

Deleted
    Not sure about PvE, but in PvP we got a healer, tank, ranged dps, burst and roaming.

Tank also got some nice dmg. Staying at mid with the healer. Our healer is really good in what he do. Also got some videos with him on mine ranger. Farming glory in sPvP. You can be whatever you want ^^

If you focus more on the support roles it makes a tremendous difference in your group. It's night and day when you get a group where 2-3 people do that compared to groups where you are the only one. You while it's not quite the same as in other games, you can go very heal heavy as a guardian and you're almost functioning as a conventional healer... almost =)

As far as tanking, there are a few tricks that help you get mob aggro, but the point is that its temporary. Similarly you can CC in various forms, but again its very temporary. It's more of a fast paced style but doing those things when they count makes a huge difference. People who are paying attention to the fight will notice. People who are mindlessly hitting their favorite dps button will not, but they'll notice the dungeon went smoothly (kinda same as before).

Quote Originally Posted by jschulth View Post
    I know there are strategies in the dungeons and that is all well and good but they always seem to revolve around keeping yourself alive and "hoping" the others do as well.
    Dunno, the only successful dungeon runs in GW2 I experienced when everyone was working together as a team, watching each other backs. It was much more interesting than the pre-determined tank/healer/dps distribution. In a good group everybody would buff everyone else, draw enemies from them if they are in trouble, res the downed comrades etc. Don't forget about combo fields. Overall, there are more oportunities for teamplay in GW2 than in a classical trinity game (this is only my opinion, of course).

15+ Year Old Account
    Trinity is still there however in soft form. Meaning even if you are focussing on one aspect it's going to be a bit more fuzzy where the other players might have to work as well. So all roles are not centred around single players but around how it was distributed within the group. As for reputation - not sure what to say here - I don't think you'll find people saying "nice healing" or "nice tanking" the same way they do in games where classical trinity is still part of design but it's possible that if you played well enough you will get credits too.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    I spec to be very support orientated on my thief - and there's no denying that it makes a huge amount of difference.

Will people notice - yeah, I think so...the more skilled players would...in the way that I notice what the rest of the team are doing. What happens after the instance depends on how things work out - maybe you stick together and do a bunch of instances, or maybe you go your separate ways.

I think there're still ways of making a reputation - but because certain classes aren't bottlenecks there's perhaps less of a frenzy to stay in touch with that great tank/healer etc...

If you're good at what you do, you earn a reputation for being good at what you do, and you will get the invites. It has nothing to do with the trinity.

Build a support character, master it, find yourself on many friends lists.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did have people commenting how they like my healing turrets, and when I throw in elixer gun it's just sort of impossible to kill my team except with extreme burst.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of boss fights where you have to tank, with dodge, defensive skills and kitting, the difference is that there's no "tank n spank", you won't be able to hold the aggro all the time of all mobs in the dungeons.

No trinity means that everybody has to be good at tanking, supporting and dps'ing with the same character, often at the same fight, but of course you have to focus your build on something. You're not supposed to have a mixed build, you're supposed to have mixed player skills. If your worry is that you won't be able to build your character "tanky", forget it, it is perfectly possible to be a successful PvE player with a character builded to tank.

My only problem with the lack of trinity is the terrible aggro system and how too many bosses/mobs get fixated on one person the entire course of a fight, causing that person to do nothing but run in circles trying to heal.

I'd rather have interesting fights with the trinity system, than annoying fights without.

Deleted
    I like the trinity system in MMOs myself. I play my main as supporty as I can get away with anyway and I have definitely felt that dungeons are easier when running with a support-plate guy in the front - aka the tank - usually a support warrior or guardian. Just my personal experience, it makes fights go smoother.

You find a lot of crews who run together in set teams, in both dungeons and in spvp, will actually still make a sort-of-trinity in that they'll have a support at the front "tanking" (I use the term lightly due to the aggro table) and a dps with some support abilities filling the healer role (which is more boons, condition removal, a bit of bonus healing combined with dps).

I thought I would hate the no holy trinity because I'm such a fan of healing, but I actually think it works fine in GW2, it keeps things flexible, you can run with pure DPS if you know what you're doing, you can run with 1 support or two and make yourself a trinity if you fancy too, it's just not a holy trinity because you're not forced into it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jschulth View Post
    It might be my personality. It might be my attitude. I'm not sure.

I have no problem being responsible for myself but I think I also like being responsible for others.
    I always chose one of the core trinity players. Mostly a tank. Last major role was a healer. I was never into the DPS role 100%

GW2 came alone and I went through the beta's and loved it. Have been playing since the 3 day head start and have been loving it. However, now I find myself missing a crucial piece that I like in my games. That is reputation.

I always enjoyed getting that tell: "Do you want to tank/heal for us? You are a good at what you do" or something along those lines.
    I miss that growing reputation of: If you want something done right in an important roll here are some people you can count on.

Not sure I am clearly representing what I am trying to say here. But I thought I would jot it down. Maybe some agree, maybe some don't. Maybe its just me and I need a drink.
    Definitely not quitting the game this early though!

Sadly GW2 is more of a solo game in that what you do as an individual has almost zero effect and you can easily be replaced by just about anyone and nobody would notice. GW2 is not about individual skill; it's all about zerge both in PvE and in PvP and that is one aspect of GW2 that has me less and less interested in playing it. In other MMOs it’s like you said, you build a reputation for being a skilled player, either in PvE or in PvP or both. In GW2 you’re just a random player number 4242432453521.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    Sadly GW2 is more of a solo game in that what you do as an individual has almost zero effect and you can easily be replaced by just about anyone and nobody would notice. GW2 is not about individual skill; it's all about zerge both in PvE and in PvP and that is one aspect of GW2 that has me less and less interested in playing it. In other MMOs it’s like you said, you build a reputation for being a skilled player, either in PvE or in PvP or both. In GW2 you’re just a random player number 4242432453521.
    I feel that makes it easier to chose people on personality.

In other games, if I wanted a healer but only the jerky healers were online, I had to think twice before asking for a healer since I needed one, but didn't want them and many times I could be forced to chose them because there wasn't anyone else.

While here, if you're good with your class, I can take you and not the jerk because I like you and don't need some exact role for my dungeon to fill it out. So I feel this system encourages friendships actually and playing with whom you like rather then be forced to play with someone because they have a role that someone you like does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    well , i can agree with you in points

to add some thing here .. what make some people love mmorpj is reputation and accomplishment wich i feel it is missing in gw2 from droping important stuff in it

i am not talking about healer and tank only

there are also other diffrent things .

with time some people will just feel boring from gw2 .

there is no drive ,, almost aimless

i think gw2 is good for a type of players ,, but as comparing gw2 to other mmorpg like WoW or Aion or Tera or rift ,, naaah it is complete different

Deleted
    I totally disagree with people who say "you are number XXXX player in this game" or "people will get bored with GW2 due to no trinity" ect ect. folks, realize one simple thing - GW2 is a game that allows you to be fully responsible for yourself, allows you to take dmg on you, heal a bit, and dps at the same time. No more crappy "LF HEALER NEED MONK" .... 30 minutes later "LF HEALER AND TANK CAUSE THE OTHER ONE DIED FROM BOREDOM OF WAITING!". you group up and go for dungeon for example. no need to be afraid "ooooh will we be able to get down this champion world mob without heaaler?" No you wont cause you are a healer yourself. I will never forget one champion elite fight, mob was like 2 lvl ahead of me, champion elite and me (ranger) and other guy next to me, we just started talking to each other called some more folks from whole map and rushed in, my pet "tanked" then warrior, then mesmer (!!!) ect ect and we were able to kill the bastard after like 10 minutes fight or so and it was one of the best cooperation i've ever seen! (and i have seen kinda a lot in mmo cooperating groups).. And this kind of asituation takes place at almost every world elite fight in tjhe game, people just helps each other, ress each other ect ect (I know, they mayby do it only for exta XP but still, they do it) and this brings a totaly breath of fresh air into cooperative playing.
    so no, there is no dive in GW2 - there is one huge breath you take and step into massive world with TONs of features to do (if only you WANT to find them instead of mindless "yadayada its not WoW" crap talking) , and this one breath you will hold long and long and long cause there is simply so much to do
    there is no dive in GW 2 - there is huge maelstrom I feel i love being sucked into and want never to be released Yes, I hype bit but this game is simply everything i wanted to find in a game that replaced other mmos i played for last 5 years which were... WoW and Old Republic (in this case last year). give this game chance , it deserves respect...
    and for Balthazars sake, do not compare Wow/rift/put your mmo you play to GW2 cause its like comparing ferrari to Shinkansen - both fast, both unique but they serve for different people despite the fact they are both for traveling. Dewa mata...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I feel that makes it easier to chose people on personality.

In other games, if I wanted a healer but only the jerky healers were online, I had to think twice before asking for a healer since I needed one, but didn't want them and many times I could be forced to chose them because there wasn't anyone else.

While here, if you're good with your class, I can take you and not the jerk because I like you and don't need some exact role for my dungeon to fill it out. So I feel this system encourages friendships actually and playing with whom you like rather then be forced to play with someone because they have a role that someone you like does not.
    I'd rather take a rude but good player along than a nice but bad player since I'm only going to grup up for a while so it doesn't matter. I also don't feel like doing a personality test every time I want to team up with somebody.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you build your character into a specific role, by stacking healing, toughness, or some other stat particular to support/healing or tanking, it works when other members of your group do the same.

That is to say, in GW2 the trinity is only as strong as you make it. If you have several people who build heavily into the trinity concept, it will work, if not, then everyone must cover some of all the roles.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'm kina meh about GW2 right now, but im thinking of making a condition damage gaurdian jsut to see if it works... DOTS MORE DOTS!

Funny detail on trinity: WoW's challenge mode gold runners are running mostly without healers in one tank four dps comps. Just with lots of damage massive amounts of threat control tricks like army of the dead.