Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    The 10 million subscribers thing, is for lack of a better word, bullshit.

6-7 million of their "subscribers" don't pay the box cost and don't pay for the expansions and generate about 10% of WoW's revenue.

You can't basically GIVE your game to a few million people and then try to brag about your number of subscribers.

Seems to me it takes about 10 Chinese subscribers to equal about 1 actual paying subscriber.

So in truth WoW has about 4 million real subscribers (which is still impressive) and another 6 million people who basically play the game for a few pennies.
    You should really read the threads before spouting off your mouth.

Less than 50% of the subscribers are in APAC. That's the Asian-Pacific region which includes China. The majority of sub losses were in APAC. This was stated in the shareholders meeting. Since there's no MOP in China there's no reason to resubscribe right now.

So this means the subscription gains are in the US and Europe. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. If APAC is less than 50% (It was 5 million when Wow was at 12 million) then we easily have 6 or 7 million full subs paying right now.

Stellan: We do know that an APAC player pays roughly $6 a month because it's about a nickel per hour. Some of those countries have limits on internet cafe time per month as well. They don't have the luxury of playing from home like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Panda-people pre-date the Warcraft incarnations, Samwise has drawn tonnes in variour warrior forms.
    while this is true, in context of the WoW world, if you will, they only existed as the "kramer" of said world, just popping in for a joke and thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    We couldn't go to kick demon ass without fully exploring Azeroth, and like it or not Pandaria has been in the lore since pre-WoW.
    while i agree with you, panderan's have existed somewhat in the lore, Pandaria has not. its a big distinction that needs to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    Most likely we will never really know how it does in NA/EU because they are going to roll the sub numbers in with Asia which really skews it IMO. The asian sub numbers are really cooked because of the system S. Korean and China uses. I wouldn't be surprised if the asian sub numbers were actually 3/4 of what they report.
    then in 1 single week every single active subscriber has bought MoP. Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    So this means the subscription gains are in the US and Europe. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. If APAC is less than 50% (It was 5 million when Wow was at 12 million) then we easily have 6 or 7 million full subs paying right now.
    so there are 6-7 million people paying full subs. people that are so devoted to WoW that they have continued to pay subscriptions all through Cata. and out of these 6-7 million devoted customers, only 2.7 million actually wanted to play the new expansion the week that it dropped. doesnt that sound a bit unlikely to you?

trying to work out what proportion of the subs are western without sufficient data is extremely difficult. if there werent extra paid for features we could have a try at it, but the various exchange rates would make it tough, since it could only be based on the reported subscriber numbers and the income that Blizzard reports.

bear in mind that a subscriber in their quarterly reports could be someone that was only subscribed for a single day that quarter, either at the start or the end. and they may not have paid any subscription during that reporting period (if they had cancelled and the subscription was about to drop off).

you also need to bear in mind that a large number of "chinese" players actually use the korean version of the game, which released on the 27 September. so some of the rise could be down to chinese players rejoining the game (in fact i would be amazed if it wasnt).

TLDR: you are making a lot of assumptions, based on data that you cannot possibly have. and using flawed logic. think before you start questioning other peoples analysis of the situation.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    So basically they say that 2.7 mil people play WoW now + the rest up to 10 mil which is made by non paying asians, where they count 1 sub if 1 dude logged in the game at an internet cafe once.

I'm sorry for the fanboys, but by the next expansion WoW will be no2. That's ok, game is to old and it already delivered wonders.

Especially since 1.2 mil subs forced by the anual pass will not renew in prop of 90%+. Check the tears in May 2013 By than WoW will be no2 and if an unnamed gaming company will add some stuff to their latest game WoW will no2 by a large margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    The last earnings call and shareholders meeting.

I don't even believe it was 10% ... more in line of 5-6%. So yeah... "10 million subscribers" really is bullshit. They only have 4 million in EU + North America at best. Counting the asian subscribers is nothing but a publicity trick without relevance to the healthiness of the game or the business. (Almost every WMMORPG would have close to 10 million subscribers if (re)leased to Asia, but most don't do it because it has no value or purpose).
    I agree. They have a handful of full servers and a shit ton of dead ones. There's no way they have 10 million subscribers.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

some of these wow haters are just hilarious.

wow is losing subs "see all us players in na and eu are fed up with this game and wow is going to die here comes the reign of rift/starwars/gw2/super awesome everquest party time"

wow gained a million subs "PFFT 99% OF SUBS ARE FROM CHINA MAN"
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow's numbers are irrelevant. If you enjoy the game, keep playing. If you stopped, enjoy something else. That being said, I think I may renew my SWTOR sub for a month, kinda nostalgic for the good old days of paying for long load screens.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to hate on anything here - as I couldn't give a damn what anyone plays, but it certainly is odd that there are 2.7million copies sold and this may go to 4.5 million in a year (judging by the most popular expansion).

I honestly can't accept that 1/2 to 2/3 the WoW subscriber population will pay subs without upgrading. Even taking the asian subs into account, the numbers just don't add up. Either the Asian subs are much higher or something is scewed. Even if you take 1/2 the 10 million subs as asian, that still leaves 2.3 million people subscribing to the Cata (or lower) version.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Not to hate on anything here - as I couldn't give a damn what anyone plays, but it certainly is odd that there are 2.7million copies sold and this may go to 4.5 million in a year (judging by the most popular expansion).

I honestly can't accept that 1/2 to 2/3 the WoW subscriber population will pay subs without upgrading. Even taking the asian subs into account, the numbers just don't add up. Either the Asian subs are much higher or something is scewed. Even if you take 1/2 the 10 million subs as asian, that still leaves 2.3 million people subscribing to the Cata (or lower) version.
    well i know of plenty of people who only have the basic version of the game and people whos kids or friends are waiting till around christmas to buy mists.

they may not be the majority but theres definitely a good portion of people who only have basic wow or just cata
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

You should really read the threads before spouting off your mouth.

Less than 50% of the subscribers are in APAC. That's the Asian-Pacific region which includes China. The majority of sub losses were in APAC. This was stated in the shareholders meeting. Since there's no MOP in China there's no reason to resubscribe right now.

Stellan: We do know that an APAC player pays roughly $6 a month because it's about a nickel per hour. Some of those countries have limits on internet cafe time per month as well. They don't have the luxury of playing from home like we do.
    Source for the 5 cents an hour and $ 6 per month?

Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post

while i agree with you, panderan's have existed somewhat in the lore, Pandaria has not. its a big distinction that needs to be made.
    I remember reading about Pandaria when I first started playing, it was either in the WC or WoW RPG book which dates it back to 2003 or 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    some of these wow haters are just hilarious.

wow is losing subs "see all us players in na and eu are fed up with this game and wow is going to die here comes the reign of rift/starwars/gw2/super awesome everquest party time"

wow gained a million subs "PFFT 99% OF SUBS ARE FROM CHINA MAN"
    The only thing wow haters or fans can know for certain is blizzard inflate their numbers. What they really are, who knows? We only know they inflate them

actually your incorrect on MoP not being in china. It released in China on Oct 2. 7 days after MoP launched on Sept 25th. Now i dont know about you but if i had not played a game in a few months and it was getting a major update b4 the next expansion i would resub a week or so b4 the expansion launched to figure out all the changes and then play the expansion the following week.

So (tinfoil hat time) Blizz knows that sub numbers are down and the majority of those subs were from asia and all they needed them to do was log in for 1 sec in b4 MoP launched or in that week between the 25th and the 2nd, and boom 900k sub gain. Now sure those arnt all from asia but i bet the majority are. MoP prolly did sell 2.6-2.7 mil the first day, but i bet sub numbers were still less than 10 mil until the Asian market resubbed to push it back to 10.

I honestly thought it would sell more...go fig

No game is going to beat WOW in subs unless they sell in the asian market. Game companies dont admit this and Gamers dont even realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    The only thing wow haters or fans can know for certain is blizzard inflate their numbers. What they really are, who knows? We only know they inflate them
    What kind of crap is this? Seriously?

What you proposed is forbidden by law... anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    What kind of crap is this? Seriously?

What you proposed is forbidden by law... anything else?
    i have a question. Do ppl with multiple accounts get counted as multiple subs? If so that is inflating numbers since most ppl with multiple accounts link them. Secondly since there are multiple types of subs blizz is never specific when counting them. You have your monthly subscribers who pay their 15 a month, Do they add ppl on trial accounts? i dont think they do but if they did thats inflating the numbers. Do you add players who get that 1 free week email after they have been unsubbed for a while? Cuz if they do thats inflating the numbers. Specially when you send that email out the same month the quarter ends to boost subs a bit. Then you have the chinese players who pay by the hour or minute or w.e who get counted as a sub even if they only play once a month. So a guy only has to play 1 min to be counted as a subscription. Yea thats inflating. But hey if you say that this is how you count your subs then your not breaking the law. But we can still see that its not really 10 mil subs its more like (X$15 a month players * number of accounts + Y pay once and get counted as a month players * number of accounts + Z free week players * number of accounts + Q Trial Players)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    i have a question. Do ppl with multiple accounts get counted as multiple subs? If so that is inflating numbers since most ppl with multiple accounts link them. Secondly since there are multiple types of subs blizz is never specific when counting them. You have your monthly subscribers who pay their 15 a month, Do they add ppl on trial accounts? i dont think they do but if they did thats inflating the numbers. Do you add players who get that 1 free week email after they have been unsubbed for a while? Cuz if they do thats inflating the numbers. Specially when you send that email out the same month the quarter ends to boost subs a bit. Then you have the chinese players who pay by the hour or minute or w.e who get counted as a sub even if they only play once a month. So a guy only has to play 1 min to be counted as a subscription. Yea thats inflating. But hey if you say that this is how you count your subs then your not breaking the law. But we can still see that its not really 10 mil subs its more like (X$15 a month players * number of accounts + Y pay once and get counted as a month players * number of accounts + Z free week players * number of accounts + Q Trial Players)
    Quoted for truth.

That's how they inflate. They don't openly lie just misrepresent their "sub numbers"

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I will just answer to the last part of this nonsense.

1) Trials are not included.
    2) Free weeks are not included.
    3) Chinese people pay a bigger part of their income than we do and even though some KKK-people disagree, they are still real people so they count as real subs.
    4) Investors, the entire reason they HAVE quarterly reports, care about their revenue.
    World of Warcraftsubscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards.

So they dont say anything about ppl with multiple accounts or more than one active pre paid card. Or game room players with multiple accounts. Its still inflating.

and my point about the chinese isnt how much they are paying its how its counted. They pay per hour or w.e but they only have to access it once to becounted as a full sub. A sub in my book is a person who is paying for a full month, not a person who only wants to play for a few hours each month because thats all they can afford yet blizz makes it look like they have access the entire month when they dont.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2012-10-06 at 04:38 PM.