Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferbster View Post
    You do realize this whole expansion was pulled out of Blizzards ass right? There is no lore supporting any of this except the one Pandaren in WC3.... You do realize this?
    Sadly many don't. Even more sad, many think the lore for Pandaria was already written in WC3.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Sorta agree.

Pandaren feel out of place in the game. To me it's obvious that they were an easter egg / april fools joke...

Yesterday I was doing a dungeon run with a blood elf death knight, undead warlock, orc warrior, troll priest, tauren druid and panda mage... The panda mage really was the odd one out in the picture.
    People said that about the giant blue aliens.....but they got over it....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    Sadly many don't. Even more sad, many think the lore for Pandaria was already written in WC3.
    Tell me about it, you do not know how many fights I had with people claiming that Pandaren is and still are a major roll in Frozen Throne..

Deleted
    You do realize this whole expansion was pulled out of Blizzards ass right? There is no lore supporting any of this except the one Pandaren in WC3.... You do realize this?
    Actually, there is. Bring facts to an argument or get out

Yes it was, and so was the whole Warcraft Universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkbark View Post
    Actually, there is. Bring facts to an argument or get out
    If you're trying to say the ONE Pandaren in Frozen Throne is an arguable fact then you need to brush up on your lore.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKenny View Post
    Yes it was, and so was the whole Warcraft Universe.
    You sir, have made my day xD

Where else is lore supposed to come from if not from Blizzard? Should they create expansions from fanfics? They may tread on butthurt lorejunkies here and there and everywhere, but that hasn't ever stopped them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I read an average of 2 new books every month, I just don't believe it's right to have video game lore excluded out of a video game and present only in a book, especially in a game as large as WoW where god help you, all you have to do is make new quests or write an in-game book about it, as blizzard used to do pre-bc with the lore books scattered across the world.
    I only meant you can always read a summary of it on the internet.

As for the argument that lore shouldn't be exclusively represented in books - I can certainly understand that.
    However, I can only think of a certain number of things to adress that problem.

1. Don't do novels at all
    2. Implement the events of the novel into the game
    3. Write novels that are irrelevant to what happens in the game

As for 1, obviously a bad idea. People want Warcraft novels. And there are certain stories best told in novels. In WoW you play your character, the story focuses on what YOU do, and even if there are certain important lore characters here and there, mainly you're interacting with all kinds of different characters throughout the whole world, and the appearance of major lore characters should be rare, so it still feels special. Novels focus heavily on certain lore characters. You get a better understanding of those characters through the novels.

2. That's probably what most people feel is appropriate, and I would have no problem with it. Except that it's hard to implement the story of certain novels, like the shattering, or tides of war, and it would take up an enormous time to do so. It would come at the expense of other content. The best we can get in that regard is scenarios like the theramore scenario.

3. Novels like the first three, or the war of the ancients trilogy. They all deal with things that happen way before WoW, so they don't need to be represented ingame. But Blizzard has shifted from doing those kinds of novels to focusing on major lore characters, Varian, Thrall, Arthas, Jaina, Malfurion, Vol'jin, for exactly the reason I mentioned above. WoW is our story. The story of our characters. That's why most city leaders did nothing for the first few years of WoW and still don't do very much. I want them to keep writing novels about those characters. They do a great job of connecting those characters in the novels to what happens in the game. And they do a good job of portraying those characters and writing compelling stories. Ideally I would like some stories that focus on past events like the war of the ancients every now and then. For example I think a novel about Shaohao would be great. Maybe once they've gone and dealt with most faction leaders we can see more of that.

As for the lore books in game, they really can't replace novels, they're like small summaries of what happened in the past that take like 1 minute to read.

Blizzard makes the games, ergo Blizzard makes the lore. If it's in the game, it's canon. Deal with it.

Or not. Just don't give yourself an ulcer over some pixels you're not satisfied with.

Deleted
    If you're trying to say the ONE Pandaren in Frozen Throne is an arguable fact then you need to brush up on your lore.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 10:10 AM ----------

You sir, have made my day xD

Yes, yes it is.

You do not decide what is 'arguable' in terms of game lore - Blizzard obviously decided that the Pandaren were a strong enough lore point to carry an expansion

There are multiple instances of Pandaren in the game world before MoP, you are being willfully ignorant to try and support your ridiculous argument

actually they were expanded upon in things like the rpg books
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Don't get me wrong i love MoP, but its very odd, it's almost like i'm playing a game similar to WoW, and not WoW itself. the end of Townlong Steppes and the whole of Dread Wastes - really did not feel like WoW to me, I have no idea why. I enjoyed the questing but it all seemed very... missing a certain something.

And just because Pandaren were in WC3, does not make them fit in anymore to MoP, I agree with the OP.

Then again, I've much prefer the Burning Legion story. Gief moar demons.
    Last edited by willtron; 2012-10-06 at 06:18 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Don't get me wrong i love MoP, but its very odd, it's almost like i'm playing a game similar to WoW, and not WoW itself. the end of Townlong Steppes and the whole of Dread Wastes - really did not feel like WoW to me, I have no idea why. I enjoyed the questing but it all seemed very... missing a certain something.

And just because Pandaren were in WC3, does not make them fit in anymore to MoP, I agree with the OP.
    'Mists of Pandaria'

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    RPG books are not canon anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    The rpg books are non canon, the pandaren may have had only one representative, but that is still one more than the entirety of the uncorrupted Draenei.

Quote Originally Posted by Symetree View Post
    Soooooooo do you ever leave the house to get some sunlight?
    Hes allergic to sunlight...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    At a certain point the only lore behind orcs was that they were brutish beasts, came from a different world and where there to conquer Azeroth by killing off the original inhabitants. You can always expand on those ideas later.
    That was for warcraft1 only and back then most games didn't even have that much lore (I know that sound too few by today's standards)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    RPG books are not canon anymore...
    so? alot of things started in the rpg books and are no longer canon but are now canon and ingame.

just because the rpg books arent canon now doesnt mean they werent written and some of that didnt carry over into mists
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    You fight because you are a psychotic racist (in game)? You aren´t looking at why the pandarans are peaceful if this is all you base your reasons on.
    They're peaceful because, outside of Chen, they've had absolutely no part or relevance in any part of Warcraft lore whatsoever.

We just went from:
    Orcs vs. Humans --> reason why orcs were enraged (burning legion) --> orcs settling down --> burning legion creating scourge --> invasion by burning legion --> rise of the scourge --> fighting the very essence of azeroth (old gods though I admit even this was a bit of a stretch)

All the stories up til now have fallen in these categories: orcs vs. humans, old gods, scourge, burning legion. None of this had the slightest mention of a random ass island that, up until now, has had no connection at all to the above. Unless the lifting of the mists provides us with another well of eternity I'm not going to see any relevance to this expansion to the greater part of warcraft lore.

Ok so there IS Y'sharrj to make a connection. It's just that Blizzard seems to be underplaying it extremely.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-10-06 at 06:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    That was for warcraft1 only and back then most games didn't even have that much lore (I know that sound too few by today's standards)
    Right.
    If you want a more recent example take the Worgen.