Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ultra Settings in WoW = 30 fps please help

A while back I bought this computer from craigslist from a college kid who needed some cash for books. It has been running great but I thought I would be able to run ultra settings in wow, but it seems to be very sluggish at ultra settings

dxdiag as follows
    Asus P67 sabertooth
    i5 sandy bridge OC to 4.3ghz
    gtx 460 gpu
    8 gigs of ram
    windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
    wow and windows are both on a SSD drive

here is a screen shot of wow running on ultimate at 1080p with cpu-z, cpuid hardware moniter, and task manager

http://imageshack.us/a/img821/7712/wowyw.png
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-10-06 at 09:54 PM.

Wow that photo is small.... But yes. That should run wow at ultra no problem and well over 30 fps....

You linked an extremely small picture that isn't readable. Also, if you're completely maxing the game, turn down multisampling to something like 2x or 4x, put shadows on medium, and disable SSAO. A 460 isn't exactly current anymore.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read in the past that overclocking actually causes performance issues for WoW. Not sure if that's still the case.

You are near water; This drains heavily on your GPU.
    You are in the open world. This and view distance with shadows and AA are drains on your GPU.

Turn those settings down and enjoy better performance.
    These speccs were enough to run it in Cataclysm, but MoP has made the settings more expensive, and I can't tell if there's a noticable difference of improvement. s

I change the picture hosting site it should be a lot bigger now, also I know the gtx 460 is outdated and I have been going back and forth on picking up 600ti, but I also keep reading that wow is more CPU heavy which is why I haven't bought it yet.

(fixed link)
    Yes, wow is more CPU heavy. In raids and anywhere where a lot of people/characters gather, like, 40man BGs or cities. 5mans and solo, it's GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    (fixed link)
    Yes, wow is more CPU heavy. In raids and anywhere where a lot of people/characters gather, like, 40man BGs or cities. 5mans and solo, it's GPU.
    that makes a lot of since since I have better FPS on complete ultra settings with everything maxed in bg's, etc, raids. I think I will drop the cash for the 660ti. btw I got this current setup plus the alienware 1080p monitor, and the case is 912 haf for $500, I even cut out the side for a window I'll post pic if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Advantage View Post
    that makes a lot of since since I have better FPS on complete ultra settings with everything maxed in bg's, etc, raids. I think I will drop the cash for the 660ti. btw I got this current setup plus the alienware 1080p monitor, and the case is 912 haf for $500, I even cut out the side for a window I'll post pic if interested.
    There's a great thread to post your pictures and information about your rig in!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...r-gaming-setup! (be sure to read the rules on the first page and you will be fine)

If it is staying at exactly 30fps then perhaps V-Sync is on?

Yeah well, probably this isn't so simple to figure out.

WoW is CPU heavy and, depending on your resolution, GPU shouldn't really be much of a problem. My Radeon 6950 doesn't get past 50% usage with everything on Ultra and 8x Multisampling (things aren't that different in a 40man raid such as Sha Of Anger, probably something like 70%, gonna check it next time). Check GPU usage while playing with low FPS, chances are your 460 is handling things just fine.
    The weird thing for me is that even though I get some low fps spikes, my CPU cores are not strained. It's like WoW doesn't use all available resources. From your screenshot you seem to have a similar problem.

Anyway, WoW has been acting a little weird in MoP. There are quite a few threads regarding low performance, lot's of them targeting Intel CPUs (some peeps are blaming some Intel Speedstep incompatibility, dunno if it's true).

Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    If it is staying at exactly 30fps then perhaps V-Sync is on?
    vsync is off in wow and on nvidia side. Yeah in cata my system had no problem at ultra with everything max, no its seems to be very sluggish unless I drop the settings to good, even at High it's still low fps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeus View Post
    (some peeps are blaming some Intel Speedstep incompatibility, dunno if it's true).
    My laptop has something like this, it clocks itself down by 50% when heating up with too much load. While it can run fine at full speed or slightly reduced.

Either way, turned all that shit off on my desktop. I don't really care for powerusage the bill isn't mine anyways

Deleted
    I had a very, very similar problem before (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...y-FPS-Solution) however, i think its fine now. Im pretty sure my GPU-driver-change helped. Have a HD7850 (which is well, abit better then yours) running with 12.8 (tested 12.9 beta aswell) but atm, running with 12.4 driver and works just fine.

Your GPU-load will be, or should, be at about ~90% load most of the times in open world with all Ultra. So by logic, it is because your GPU (either drivers or a bad GPU-card).

Uninstall your driver, reboot, driversweeper, reboot, install a old one, restart. See if it helps.

There is a bug with some WoW settings. Drop your slider to good and manually raise settings that you really need on ultra (like view distance). Disable SSAO, anti aliasing and AAF do not matter.

Go try it, game looks nearly as good and you will peg vsync 60 FPS everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    There is a bug with some WoW settings. Drop your slider to good and manually raise settings that you really need on ultra (like view distance). Disable SSAO, anti aliasing and AAF do not matter.

Go try it, game looks nearly as good and you will peg vsync 60 FPS everywhere.
    Because I'm anal, the additional settings at ultra are fairly important to me. However, I have not seen an issue with setting the slider to Ultra/Custom causing issues with frames. Can you confirm the source?

It hasnt been confirmed by anyone yet but i know it to be true. I PEG 60 FPS with no stutter anywhere in the game with good preset/ultra view distance/4x AA/8xAAF/ssao disabled. I cannot peg what setting causes the stutter and FPS dip, but its something in the ultra and high presets. My game ran like it did in cata with these settings, smooth as silk.

10+ Year Old Account
    SSAO is causing some problems for a few friends of mine. And i personally have it disabled because i don't think it adds the the eyecandy.

Other than that, i've got everything set on ultra and don't really have issues at all.

its weird that its a solid 30, my new computer bounces between 80 and 40 with everything maxed, so it seems like theres alot of areas that cause more of an impact than others

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyctattoo View Post
    its weird that its a solid 30, my new computer bounces between 80 and 40 with everything maxed, so it seems like theres alot of areas that cause more of an impact than others
    Naturally. That should not be a surprise

Big cities are going to cause problems in WoW. Simply because of the vast amount of characters that have to be processed/drawn and optionally shadows that have to be drawn.

New big open world zones viewed from the sky also tend to take quite a bit of your juice. Because all of that detail has to be processed.
    Small zones like Battlegrounds and just outdoor levelling on the ground shouldn't really get much of an impact on your stuff though.