Resto - easy to learn or not?

Well, I haven't healed for over 1,5 years (when ZG/ZA first got released? a little after that), and that was on my priest as holy. I'm now going to try out resto shaman, but I'm still a little scared, haha. Is it easy to grasp or not? Did the mana changes from cata to mop mean a change in playstyle? Oh, and should I glyph Riptide or not? The guide here on mmo-champ says you should, but I don't know, is it really better than unglyphed? Though i guess I'm used to having renew...

Also, any tips regarding macros/addons/your ui layout, etc? I was thinking of having mouseover macros (or clique? maybe) for my targeted heals + grid setup in the middle on the screen (above action bars basically), as that's more or less how I had it back 1,5 years ago on my priest. Good idea or not?

Deleted
    Resto shaman is fairly easy to grasp the basics of, while it can be harder to fully master. The mana changes and nerf of Telluric currents means that you will using healing wave a lot more then in late cata and needs to be more mindful of how you utilize your aoe abilities. You should have riptide glyphed, the majority of the healing on riptide comes from the hot and not the initial healing on cast.

Your UI layout and mouseover/clique will work fine, i would recommend getting TellMeWhen addon and configure it so that it displays shorter cooldowns and place the box next to your unit frames.

Deleted
    In my opinion resto shaman is a great healer and for me it is the most fun of all the healers. I have tried holy paladins, but they just feel "clunky" to me... Resto feels so... fluid. It really fits the water theme of the resto tree. Hard to explain, really, unless you play resto

Riptide is THE central spell in the resto arsenal, as it gives the tidal waves buff and also buffs chainheal. The more haste you have, the more valuable the riptide glyph becomes, as you can then get 100% uptime of the tidal waves buff (which makes HW/GHW almost as fast as HS and HS crits a lot more often, now with 200% crits + 45% Ancestral awakening smart heal -> GOOD!)

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends if you plan on raiding normal modes/heroic modes or just 5 man heroics. I raid in a semi-hardcore oceanic 25 man guild (as a resto shaman). I chose not to glyph riptide because I just feel it doesn't do enough effective healing, especially with another 5 healers along side me.

The very basics of resto shaman:
    Keep water shield/earth shield up.
    Almost always have Healing Stream Totem on CD
    Riptide as often as possible
    Pretty obvious when to use other spells.

For addons I personally use Vuhdo, I find it does exactly what I need it to do. That is display health %, riptide duration, Earth Shield stacks and any debuffs that are dispellable. TellMeWhen is a great addon that tracks cooldowns of all spells and trinkets. UI is something that doesn't make you a 'pro' its personal preference and is supposed to just make the entire process of healing/dps/tanking easier for YOU.

As for mana in MoP, I run with around 10k spirit fully buffed (spirit food/flask) and still go oom at the very end of a 25 man raid. But I tend to try very hard to top meters

My armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Drragn/simple
    Goodluck
    Last edited by Draagn; 2012-10-07 at 02:46 PM.

I find it the easiest healing class to learn and probably the easiest to master. My basic priority list is - healing stream on cdown <-- healing rain down <-- riptide on cdown <-- spam lightning bolts and elemental blast for mana, dps and sum nice stats. Ofc I spot healing or chain heal when needed, but this keeps me top of the meters and with enough mana to usually last a fight. With there new cdowns I usually try to get them in as early as possible so I can get a second in before boss dies, ofc 1 after another so they dont overlap.
    Even though its the start of the xpac I always say spirit doesnt help much. Fully refoging spirit i can maybe get 1k extra mp5s and getting an extra heal or 2 in just doesnt seem as good to me as a constant 20% more healing from mastery and sum more haste for extra lightning bolts and more healing over the entire fight.
    Currently running at 3k spirit 65% mastery and 13% haste and it works awesome to me

Quote Originally Posted by delaxes View Post
    I find it the easiest healing class to learn and probably the easiest to master. My basic priority list is - healing stream on cdown <-- healing rain down <-- riptide on cdown <-- spam lightning bolts and elemental blast for mana, dps and sum nice stats. Ofc I spot healing or chain heal when needed, but this keeps me top of the meters and with enough mana to usually last a fight. With there new cdowns I usually try to get them in as early as possible so I can get a second in before boss dies, ofc 1 after another so they dont overlap.
    Even though its the start of the xpac I always say spirit doesnt help much. Fully refoging spirit i can maybe get 1k extra mp5s and getting an extra heal or 2 in just doesnt seem as good to me as a constant 20% more healing from mastery and sum more haste for extra lightning bolts and more healing over the entire fight.
    Currently running at 3k spirit 65% mastery and 13% haste and it works awesome to me
    How in the world do you keep Healing Rain up with 3k spirit? In progression fights where your group's not used to mechanics, and people are bound to take more damage than when it's on farm, I find it hard to believe you can maintain HR up with 3k spirit for more than 3-4 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    How in the world do you keep Healing Rain up with 3k spirit? In progression fights where your group's not used to mechanics, and people are bound to take more damage than when it's on farm, I find it hard to believe you can maintain HR up with 3k spirit for more than 3-4 minutes.
    No joking. I have ~5000 spirit on my Resto Shaman and she went OOM on at least half the bosses in Scholomance and Temple of the Jade Serpent while emphasizing healing totem and telluric current spamming. A four person panic riptide is all it takes to floor her mana.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have very little mana issues at the moment, done the first two raid bosses. i can sustain ~48k hps for about 7 minutes with appropriately timed mana cds from the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    No joking. I have ~5000 spirit on my Resto Shaman and she went OOM on at least half the bosses in Scholomance and Temple of the Jade Serpent while emphasizing healing totem and telluric current spamming. A four person panic riptide is all it takes to floor her mana.
    And, 10000 spirit is roughly 5600 MP5. On a 5 minutes fight, it's 336000 mana. Compared to 3k spirit's 101700.

That's over 230000 more mana in the fight, not "an extra heal or two"

Edit: AND, it helps your others healers through MTT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    No one here has really said it yet but a big part of healing is knowing when, where, and how much damage is going to go out. Just knowing that could save you a lot of mana and possibly save a life. I see to many healers see the whole party hit 50% health to only spam their large heals to top everyone off when the damage has stopped for a good 10 seconds and could have easily used a mana efficient heal to top everyone off. After a few runs/tries in an instance or raid you'll get used to it.

Also there seems to be a debate on Riptide glyph and personally I wouldn't use it, it's easy to get into the habit of using it often and incorrectly to only eat your mana. It's got it's uses here and there but overall it's not worth it. Riptide > 2 Healing Waves (3 if 4 set) > Riptide again is what I do a majority of the time everything else is situational and used at proper moments.
    Last edited by Xuany; 2012-10-07 at 05:54 PM.

Deleted
    Also remember that it is often better for mana conservation to use Windshear to interrupt a spell cast than it would be to heal the damage it would have caused if completed.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    Its actually not as hard as you might think, a healing rain is often enough to heal sum1 back up even after they move out the aoe a bit slow and whilst thats healing its quite easy to get mana back via lightning bolts which is still alot more mana than people give credit for. Healing rain only costs about 25k mana, 1 lightning bolt gives u 6k mana back, lets say on average you get 3 lightning bolts in during a healing rain, cud be more or less depending on the amount of healing needed but thats only using about half the time a healing rain lasts for so its not that hard to fit them in. Anyway my point is that already gets you back 18k mana so that healing rain gave you an absolute ton of healing whilst using only 7k mana and taking in your regen from spirit, (i currently have 3k spirit as you already know or 10.1kmp5s with water shield up) you arent using too much mana atall.
    Besides with higher mastery that healing rain is doing a ton more healing per mana anyway and pretty efficient

And, 10000 spirit is roughly 5600 MP5. On a 5 minutes fight, it's 336000 mana. Compared to 3k spirit's 101700.

That's over 230000 more mana in the fight, not "an extra heal or two"

Edit: AND, it helps your others healers through MTT
    Yea I guess I completely forgot about mana tide. Guess spirit could be more useful than I thought. JUst a quick question but how did you get to 10k spirit? I can barely get above 5k wen i fully reforge into it
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2012-10-07 at 11:36 PM.

You are forgetting that Lightning Bolts also cost mana so the return is not 6k back, it's ~1.8k.

Deleted
    You dont gain 18k mana with TC, you only gain around 5-6k on those LB's since they also cost 4.2k mana to cast in the first place. About getting higher spirit levels you should also gem and enchant for spirit and get mp5 trinkets, not only reforge into it. Still have a hard time believing someone can manage healing a raid boss with 3k spirit without going oom without getting carried, there is simply to much healing needed for that to be possible.

hehe my mistake, i guess I was thinking about the old glyph wen it was like restores 10% mana per cast but cost 8% mana thus you used to gain 2% mana every cast. Il just shut up now before i make a bigger fool out of myself xD

You dont gain 18k mana with TC, you only gain around 5-6k on those LB's since they also cost 4.2k mana to cast in the first place. About getting higher spirit levels you should also gem and enchant for spirit and get mp5 trinkets, not only reforge into it. Still have a hard time believing someone can manage healing a raid boss with 3k spirit without going oom without getting carried, there is simply to much healing needed for that to be possible.
    Oh and im usually miles above the other healers just so you know but idk why the image doesnt seem to be showing which wud have been proof on the stone guards
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2012-10-08 at 12:18 AM.

Well I went ahead and tried it out and it went better than I expected. I first did normal stormstout/jade serpent with a friend who's going guardian druid (god I love xrealm parties), which in general was riptide + earth shield on my friend, healing stream, afk. Pretty nice so far.

I hit 87, though, and got to do the last boss of Mogu Palace (only last boss left when i joined)... that was harder though, 2 of the dps died really fast so I didn't have the time to save them (guess they stood in 2 traps at the same time or something, it was really sudden). Still made it though, but... unsure of what I could've done to save them other than a nature's swiftness and save one of them (they died basically the same time), or something.

It's pretty fun so far. When my friend hits 90 we're gonna do the heroics together - pretty fun since it's a role swap, I used to tank he used to heal... and it's pretty nice to have healer - tank communication (and guaranteed brains for both...). Thanks for the various tips, some of em helped quite a bit. Uncertain of what to glyph for if I don't glyph riptide though, healing wave is a given... and glyphed telluric too.

Edit: forget the last part, of course it's healing stream glyph.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    hehe my mistake, i guess I was thinking about the old glyph wen it was like restores 10% mana per cast but cost 8% mana thus you used to gain 2% mana every cast. Il just shut up now before i make a bigger fool out of myself xD

Oh and im usually miles above the other healers just so you know but idk why the image doesnt seem to be showing which wud have been proof on the stone guards
    I'm waiting for the logs and the armory link where you have 3k Spirit and Stone Guard kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    Well I went ahead and tried it out and it went better than I expected. I first did normal stormstout/jade serpent with a friend who's going guardian druid (god I love xrealm parties), which in general was riptide + earth shield on my friend, healing stream, afk. Pretty nice so far.

I hit 87, though, and got to do the last boss of Mogu Palace (only last boss left when i joined)... that was harder though, 2 of the dps died really fast so I didn't have the time to save them (guess they stood in 2 traps at the same time or something, it was really sudden). Still made it though, but... unsure of what I could've done to save them other than a nature's swiftness and save one of them (they died basically the same time), or something.

It's pretty fun so far. When my friend hits 90 we're gonna do the heroics together - pretty fun since it's a role swap, I used to tank he used to heal... and it's pretty nice to have healer - tank communication (and guaranteed brains for both...). Thanks for the various tips, some of em helped quite a bit. Uncertain of what to glyph for if I don't glyph riptide though, healing wave is a given... and glyphed telluric too.

Edit: forget the last part, of course it's healing stream glyph.
    Good to hear things went well. Generally when someone dies within 2 GCDs, it's usually not your fault. They likely got hit by the arrows, which do a ton of damage in there. Don't beat yourself up over other peoples bad play.

Keep at it!

Deleted
    but this keeps me top of the meters
    What, what are you doing there?

Healing is not a competition

Deleted
    Here's the link to the picture, should be working.