SPriest levleing problems

Ok, so I made a priest in Cata, I got it to 85 and pretty much left it there. Come MoP I really got this urge to level it, so I am, and my problem is, I seem to just be killing shit slowly... I think I'm doing it right by using VT+SW:P, Mind Blast on CD, Devouring Plague at 3 orbs, SW when available, and Mind Flay when nothing is up. Is this right? It's really noticable when I do dungeons and my DPS is really shit, typically at the bottom of the list.

Who cares where you are on the dps 'list' while doing normal dungeons? Even in heroics it doesn't matter that much unless you are seriously crippling your group which is still not the case.

I dinged 90 yesterday with my shadowpriest. I didn't have problems at all with killing mobs. I went from 80 to 90 in just a week.

I just put curses up on multiple mobs and used my cooldowns constantly.

I care about my DPS during dungeons, because if it's low, I feel fucking useless, and I hate that :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course your DPS will be low in MoP normal dungeons since most of the players leveling now have DS gear which is highly superior to first quest greens you are getting from quests. Don't let that bother you too much. From your post I've came to conclusion that you aren't really experienced with Shadow Priest and until you get used to it a bit (especially the new play style MoP has developed) things won't look perfect.

You are doing your rotation right, and even though you didn't provide your armory or any additional information, I would say gear is your issue. Wait until you get a better gear the damage will become better.

What talents are you using?

I had no problems leveling, i could even pull up to like 7 mobs. I usually doted everything up with Shadow word pain & Vamp, than i void tendrils the mob, back up. Devouring plague on 3, than mind flay (ofc mind blast every time it was up) i also took the talent power word solace and used the shadow word insanity or whatever when ever shadow word pain was nearly up on the time. Also shadow word of death when ever its up.

Is there ever a point in using Mid Spike?

Not really. Keep in mind Spriests can still very effectively multi dot 3-5 targets for very good dps, unlike other specs like moonkins.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have the talent for the instant mind spike, yes.
    A few things to keep in mind.

1) Most people will have much better gear than you. DS geared, as people said. I was still using some of my SPriest's gear up to 90, due to sockets and epic gems.
    2) Melee will often have an edge over you in dungeons, mainly because stuff will die faster, and we have the uptime to get damage rolling. Again, as long as you aren't crippling your group, don't let it bother you.
    3) I'm not sure how, but you seem to have not a single piece of hit/spirit gear. Your hit rate is, honestly, abysmal, and THAT, if anything, can cripple your DPS.

Get better gear and rotation. my freind spriest is 1 place leading with 30% all the time

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicz View Post
    Get better gear and rotation. my freind spriest is 1 place leading with 30% all the time
    huh ? the rest of the group must be doing stuff wrong then

Deleted
    Craft windwool cloth items, wait for blue procs, those a ilvl 415. You wont replace them for a long time. My sp twink just hit 88 and it feels so much easier than leveling as a mage. I can take on 3-4 mobs easily and won't even have to rest up afterwards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    huh ? the rest of the group must be doing stuff wrong then
    I don't really play shadow, recently respeced after disc slowed down horribly at 88, but i have read severl people post about being able to rape the fuck out of their mana and pull some really high dps, where as most people are playing a bit more conservatively etc

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If you have the talent for the instant mind spike, yes.
    A few things to keep in mind.

1) Most people will have much better gear than you. DS geared, as people said. I was still using some of my SPriest's gear up to 90, due to sockets and epic gems.
    2) Melee will often have an edge over you in dungeons, mainly because stuff will die faster, and we have the uptime to get damage rolling. Again, as long as you aren't crippling your group, don't let it bother you.
    3) I'm not sure how, but you seem to have not a single piece of hit/spirit gear. Your hit rate is, honestly, abysmal, and THAT, if anything, can cripple your DPS.
    yeah i just noticed i have NO hit rate, holy shit... that's probably a big deal LOL, thanks all for the help

Deleted
    Don't dot up stuff that dies under 15 sec. You're better off doing mind spike > mind spike > mind blast and DP when you get 3 orbs on a target that isn't being focused. That's how I got through my dungeons.

Still, I didn't dungeon through MoP at all til 90. Not worth it as exp is better from questing. Maybe the daily random is worth it, idk.