Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I've gone to the store and gotten just condoms plenty of times. If anyone gives me any weird looks, I just smile at them. No words need to be said.

Last time I actually needed some, my girlfriend actually bought them, with me by her side. We got them during a regular grocery run, and the cashier didn't react at all.

I feel like the ones who do are the anomalies, not the norm.

OMG, someone might be momentarily judging me!

Get over it.

Back when I was younger and bought condoms, the pharmacies were mom and pop type stores (not the big CVS and Rite Aid chains they are now). I kind of knew the owners from being in and out of the store (they had awesome fountain sodas, one of the last places to get a good fountain soda). When I went to the register and asked for the condoms (they were always behind the counter) the owner kind of had a smirk on his face and asked , "And what are these for young man?".

I looked him square in the eyes and, with a straight face said, "Well, you wouldn't want to be a grandfather yet would you?". He knew his daughter and I were friends (I was dating some other girl but he wasn't aware of that). The look on his face was priceless. He never asked me another question like that again, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    What do you think she is doing? Hint hint, its in bold.
    "Oh my gosh! A guy came into the store today and bought condoms. So disgusting!"

... no, I doubt she's even going to remember after you leave the store.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post
    This can range anywhere from:

- a smirk
    - look of disapproval
    - look of "omg you're creepy"

You're buying a birth control product of some form - along with other items, to make it seem like that's not the only thing you're buying. Doesn't matter though. You get that "look". Usually(but not always), it's a female cashier, between 35+ years of age.

IMO, a cashier is supposed to be doing no more than merely processing all your purchases, completing the transaction, and maybe bagging your items. A cashier should NOT be shaming you no matter what it is you're buying.

Personally I just shrug off the "look" and carry on with my day. And maybe save it for a funny bar story with friends. But there are people who find this experience much more offensive, and are tempted to at least do something, eg. let the store manager know, file a complaint, etc.

What would you guys do? Crack a witty remark? Say "problem, lady?"
    I think the problem is at your end rather than at the cashiers. Why do you feel the need to buy craptons of other stuff if you're only there for the rubbers? Are you that ashamed of being a sexual being?

she wants to have sex with you

It's usually a look of fear they get when I buy rubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I think the problem is at your end rather than at the cashiers. Why do you feel the need to buy craptons of other stuff if you're only there for the rubbers? Are you that ashamed of being a sexual being?
    not blaming you mate, but you missed one of my posts about midway through. Have a good one!

People have sex !?!

I mean really why do people make faces at this stuff?

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    OMG, someone might be momentarily judging me!

Get over it.
    I don't think this is why the OP made this topic... why are you being sarcastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    People have sex !?!

I mean really why do people make faces at this stuff?

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 06:10 PM ----------

I don't think this is why the OP made this topic... why are you being sarcastic?
    maybe he was trying to be funny. shrug it's all good though...there are lots of awesome comeback lines here and witty tips that i've filed away for future reference.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Smirk and say "My daughter is gonna love this." before walking away.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Heh. If I ever get a "look" I just shrug and give them a look in return. Hey, I'm getting laid, have a good day cashier man/woman.

When I was younger I got embarrassed by it. Not anymore.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I used to work at a big chain store, Big W (Australias version of walmart), and i never really judged anyone on their purchases, apart from a friend of mine walking up to me and getting condoms with this chick, i gave him the look of "you can do better"

Although one time i was slightly horrified when i had to serve a part time teacher at my school, when she was buy underwear
    I see Stupid people!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    It is only shameful if you yourself think it is shameful.

If I buy condoms I don't find it shameful, if they look at me like I should be ashamed, good for them.

I think the best time it has ever happened was when I was dating a girl just out of Highschool when i was 18 and she was 17, and her Best friends mother worked at the Pharmacy where I bought them. Since she knew who I was dating because I had hung out with my GF and her Daughter quite a few times, she gave me the evilest glare ever.

Good times.
    Thats quite hillarious ^^

OT:
    I have been buying condoms since i was 15, never felt ashamed of it even if the cashier gave me a funny look.
    Its no big deal for me, i just shrug it off.

Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post
    What would you guys do? Crack a witty remark? Say "problem, lady?"
    Probably not buy anything that has a chance of making a cashier judge you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Probably not buy anything that has a chance of making a cashier judge you.
    Why not?
    If you need condoms, buy condoms, if you need a preg test, buy a preg test.
    Dont let the cashier "scare" you from making your purchase, he/she shouldnt judge you at all, its not their job to get their nose in your business.

I don't care and could care less what a cashier I may or may never see again thinks of me or what I'm purchasing

I used to worry a lot about what people thought, or what I did, but at some point in your life you just learn to not give a fuck. It's really that simple. Lol.

I don't think I've ever run into one that did that though, or I just didn't notice. They usually do what they all do, smile and say hello, maybe they'll say it's a nice day out, and ask me for my air miles card.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could go with the dick move and go report said cashier to the manager, say she/he was smirking or giggling at your purchase.

Or you could make it funny and ask if she/he would rather you didn't use condoms and then she/he could help pay for your WIC and welfare for the hundreds of kids you will be having with different women, just to get a reaction. (Assuming you are a straight male. Same situation could be funny if you're a woman, as well.)

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

Quote Originally Posted by internetheroxD View Post
    Why not?
    If you need condoms, buy condoms, if you need a preg test, buy a preg test.
    Dont let the cashier "scare" you from making your purchase, he/she shouldnt judge you at all, its not their job to get their nose in your business.
    As a cashier, i can assure that this is the case. Nowhere in my job description am i obliged to scare people from purchasing products. But it's hard to do my job when the condoms, pregnancy tests and all that stuff is behind the counter. Then every now and again some customer tries to be subtle about it, giving me little choice but to point at the product or make vocal references to the product they are trying to purchase. Luckily these nervous wrecks stumble into the store 30 min before close time.

But on point, i don't judge you for buying condoms or pregnancy tests. It's something everybody does, everyone knows everyone does it, but certain individuals cannot cope with it. In fact, people should be judged harder by society for purchasing tobacco.

Here in the UK people don't really give a shit if you're buying condoms etc.

I think it's mostly only going to be an issue in the U.S. where there seems to be a worrying amount of people that believe abortion is murder. Either way, even if that is their opinion, it's not professional to let their personal beliefs intrude into their professional environment.

If someone gave me a snide look or remark when buying contraceptives then I'd probably report them to their boss. Not because I take offense to it, more so because it's not their place to have an opinion and generally speaking as an employer myself, I don't want my staff to act in a way or say things that could be potentially damaging to my company.