Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    The part I was livid at was when they were having the debate about Healthcare - and when Stewart asked why O'riley believed that the government should handle military and not healthcare .... and O'Riley's response was that "traditionally" our country started with Military historically since the revolutionary war...

...and what I was screaming was "Did the government give up on the Revolutionary war back then because the government hasn't "traditionally" handled war prior to forming the colonies!? Why the #&@ do we make NOT make our own starting point TODAY, just like we did back during the revolutionary war!? This way, in 200 years time - somebody else can say "The Government traditionally handles Military and Medical..."!?!"

But I loved Stewart's response. "We have Military Doctors.... they're government subsidized healthcare, why not ask them how to implement it?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    But Colbert does exactly what O'Reilly does. Whenever he has a guest he spends the whole time interrupting them and making jokes when, a lot of times, I REALLY wanna hear what they have to say.

It bugs me just as much when Colbert does it as O'Reilly.
    Oh I know, but Colbert's interviews are done for comedic purposes, not for his guests to make any real points. My father has been on Colbert and he was told not to make any jokes and to just roll with the punches. I was just stating who my favorite pundit was. I suppose it wasn't even a good comparison since Colbert seems to be more comedy focused than Stewart, and O'Reilly isn't about comedy at all. I'm not even educated enough about O'Reilly or Stewart to make a judgement call. Every time I hear O'Reilly or Stewart talk I find different reasons to dislike them, so I don't actually watch either of their shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Oh I know, but Colbert's interviews are done for comedic purposes, not for his guests to make any real points. My father has been on Colbert and he was told not to make any jokes and to just roll with the punches. I was just stating who my favorite pundit was. I suppose it wasn't even a good comparison since Colbert seems to be more comedy focused than Stewart, and O'Reilly isn't about comedy at all. I'm not even educated enough about O'Reilly or Stewart to make a judgement call. Every time I hear O'Reilly or Stewart talk I find different reasons to dislike them, so I don't actually watch either of their shows.
    Soooooo...

Who is your dad? :P

Colbert's not really much for serious, informative interviews. They're mostly opportunities for jokes. Not necessarily a bad or good thing, but it's just not what you should expect from that show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Soooooo...

Who is your dad? :P
    I don't know if it would be in my father's best interest to divulge that xD I wouldn't want anyone holding my father responsible for things I said on the internet. He's a good man and a good father, but we have some wildly different views on life. Our differences are no secret but you wouldn't even believe the shit people use as ammo these days. I'd rather people judge me for who I am, not who I'm related to

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 01:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Colbert's not really much for serious, informative interviews. They're mostly opportunities for jokes. Not necessarily a bad or good thing, but it's just not what you should expect from that show.
    Exactly how I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    I don't know if it would be in my father's best interest to divulge that xD I wouldn't want anyone holding my father responsible for things I said on the internet. He's a good man and a good father, but we have some wildly different views on life. Our differences are no secret but you wouldn't even believe the shit people use as ammo these days. I'd rather people judge me for who I am, not who I'm related to

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 01:08 AM ----------

Exactly how I feel about it.
    Okay ill just believe he is Tom Hanks then

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Okay ill just believe he is Tom Hanks then
    Ha! Alright, that works. My father is now (un)offcially Tom Hanks

Holy... shit... This turned into a "well one journalist does the same thing as the other!" debate? Are you fucking serious?

One journalist tries to imply that he only tells the truth (HAH! @ O'reilly). The other KNOWS he isn't telling the truth only to make fun of the asshats that think they are being truthful.

And people take objection to both stances when both are full of shit?

At this point, I think it would be better off if the world was left to the monkeys. At least then the Earth would have a few more thousand years before total annihilation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    The part I was livid at was when they were having the debate about Healthcare - and when Stewart asked why O'riley believed that the government should handle military and not healthcare .... and O'Riley's response was that "traditionally" our country started with Military historically since the revolutionary war...
    I thought that was the best exchange of the night and really quite well encapsulated the American political left's exasperation at the right for refusing to imagine America's capacity to create a better cared-for society.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    Holy... shit... This turned into a "well one journalist does the same thing as the other!" debate? Are you fucking serious?

One journalist tries to imply that he only tells the truth (HAH! @ O'reilly). The other KNOWS he isn't telling the truth only to make fun of the asshats that think they are being truthful.

And people take objection to both stances when both are full of shit?

At this point, I think it would be better off if the world was left to the monkeys. At least then the Earth would have a few more thousand years before total annihilation.
    Actually, I disagree about Stewart. I think he's one of the most important truth-tellers on TV. Now, obviously a lot of what he says isn't actually true because they are jokes, but we all know they are jokes. But the core content of his show is pointing out the utter hypocrisy (especially amongst politicians and the complicit media) going on around us by the most powerful people and organizations. he's telling us the things that the mainstream media should be pointing out but don't because they are in the ratings game and rely on corporate advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    I thought that was the best exchange of the night and really quite well encapsulated the American political left's exasperation at the right for refusing to imagine America's capacity to create a better cared-for society.
    I think the one about redistribution of wealth and social security was the best one. He caught him there...