Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rift Player Housing - Dimensions

Here's a new trailer for Dimensions. Looks like there's a ton of sand boxing to be done. No Youtube link yet but I'll add that in when it's up. Looks like this site got an exclusive to the trailer first.

Last edited by Azuri; 2012-10-11 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Replaced link with YouTube video

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy.

Hell.

O_o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Here's a new trailer for Dimensions. Looks like there's a ton of sand boxing to be done. No Youtube link yet but I'll add that in when it's up. Looks like this site got an exclusive to the trailer first.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/y...nsions-trailer
    I give them credit for their choice of music, it's quite ... interesting...

that trailer is epic. that ship is quite fantastic too.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, uh, Minecraft, how's it going with your blocks? And your locked-down physics?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of player housing myself, nor am I any longer interested in Rift since I played it at release ages ago... but that trailer made it look more The Sims like, and I really enjoy sandbox type housing as compared to something prebuilt that you throw your stuff in at specific spots (like Skyrim).

I will not have 1/100th the ability to create anything that cool : (

do you have to buy each individual piece or something? wonder how hard it would be to make something like that, especially for a newer player.

Wow.

If they really allow the level of customization and detail that the video suggests, then... wow, just wow.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Wow.

If they really allow the level of customization and detail that the video suggests, then... wow, just wow.
    Without breaking the NDA available on the beta, it does allow that level of customization, and then some. Tools for building are based on a simplified model of the tools devs use to create the game world.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    do you have to buy each individual piece or something? wonder how hard it would be to make something like that, especially for a newer player.
    You do need to buy each individual piece, but they are relatively cheap. your level doesn't determine anything other than which dimensions you can acquire. from what we note, certain boss lairs can only be acquired through raid drops, but other world zone dimensions are obtainable through quests or can be purchased from vendors. Trion has stated you will pretty much have access to your first dimension at like level 8 or so.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    It's for the expansion technically everyone is a new player as for as player and guild housing goes, this content doesn't come out until November.

Wow.

All Rifts trailers are actual in game footage they don't use cinematics, what you see is what you get.

Forget the customization for a minute, those new locales were absolutely stunning. Ok, back to the customization: I knew such potential was already there, but I never fathomed how in depth and limitless the creations could be.

Well, "limitless" might be overstating things. I think I remember Scott or someone livestreaming stating Dimensions might be limited to 100 objects.

Either way, I'm impressed. Again.

Wow.

Like Anti said. We are bound by NDA, but the level of customization is bat shit. It is not pure Sandbox where you walk outside and chop down a tree to make a dresser, but this more like Home Depot or Lowes lol

So I'm a huge Rift supporter. This is the best MMO available currently (quality over quantity). But I was not happy with this being added. Player housing has always been one of the most worthless types of content in these games possible. It is neat at first but then you find that no one uses it for more than an extra large trophy room. It really is a moot point to have player housing where we know we can just log out outside like we always could.
    That being said this looks cool and I like the fact you can make a boat - but again I would've preferred a new Master Mode dungeon (even an old dungeon) or an extra raid - or even just a boss over this. but to each his own and hopefully you guys that want this will enjoy it.

As always the above was sponsered by: IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    So I'm a huge Rift supporter. This is the best MMO available currently (quality over quantity). But I was not happy with this being added. Player housing has always been one of the most worthless types of content in these games possible. It is neat at first but then you find that no one uses it for more than an extra large trophy room. It really is a moot point to have player housing where we know we can just log out outside like we always could.
    That being said this looks cool and I like the fact you can make a boat - but again I would've preferred a new Master Mode dungeon (even an old dungeon) or an extra raid - or even just a boss over this. but to each his own and hopefully you guys that want this will enjoy it.

As always the above was sponsered by: IMO

Yeah I'm not sure how much I personally will use it but there's tons of people who love this kinda of thing and it's missing from many MMO's. Putting dimensions aside we are still getting 3 raids, 7 new dungeons 2 huge continents etc etc etc. The housing is just a small blip on the radar and their content releases are fairly fast that I doubt this has impacted much of the overall content being delivered now or future content to come.

One could argue that putting in pet battles or farming (not sure what it's called) in WoW took away from PvE content so you can see where I'm going with this. You have to appeal to broad spectrum of players.

I'm a raider too Slime, but fuck me sideways I can see me putting hundreds of hours into this. I haven't had decent player housing since SWG, and that was eight years ago or more. Gimme gimme gimme!

Honestly one of the best trailers I have seen for RIFT tbh, really showed off what they've achieved. Kudos!

slime,

Way I see it, there will always be new dungeons, raids and gear. Introducing player housing into a triple-A MMO might appear to cater to a smaller audience, but it accomplishes a number of things. It opens up the world for more RP, creates a pretty awesome gold sink for the economy, recycles pre-existing locations for low development cost, and provides players another reason to spend endless hours logged in.

Only so many players will experience a new dungeon/raid/MMs/etc. With all the various ways to attain different Dimensions, Trion is both incentivizing old content (beat X raid to unlock X's dimension) and providing players a type of content that can't be beaten, only altered.

I never wanted player housing in the game, nor did I want fishing and cooking. I thought it'd be great to play a heroic MMO and keep things serious. The gods granted me a life in order to battle the elements, why should I be fishing for snook, or creating a Baked Telara in the kitchen.

I've since come around to all these additions, and I'm open to more. The wider and more diverse an audience you can please, the greater potential there is to both succeed and surpass the expectations of jaded MMO-ers.

I forgive you for your opinion though
    Last edited by Acquiesce of Telara; 2012-10-10 at 08:33 PM.

This housing system does something else. It justifies the sub. This says if I give Trion money I get the most customizable invetive housing system ever in a mmorpg or sand box for that matter. Hell even the housing system in Skyrim is not this customizable.

Expect to see a few Korean devs pick up this system very soon after release.

This is by far the neatest thing to appear in a game in a very long time. I would be even more interested with where this feature goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    It's for the expansion technically everyone is a new player as for as player and guild housing goes, this content doesn't come out until November.
    Yes and no. Technically it's new even for players heading into the expansion, but a player with 4k plat is going to be better off than a player with 100 plat. I believe that may be the point of that question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Yes and no. Technically it's new even for players heading into the expansion, but a player with 4k plat is going to be better off than a player with 100 plat. I believe that may be the point of that question.
    Yeah true that, it did cross my mind after the fact. At this time I'm not sure how expensive dimension things are, beta prices were very cheap for things but who knows how much that will change. I've currently got about err 600p and I've played since launch and I don't play the AH much can't be arsed with that. (I've spent all the gold sinks available in game atm)