Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How does EA keep going?

This is a thing that completely baffles me.

Assuming that EA pretty much kills the studios they buy how do they continue to make a profit? Or why would any studio let EA buy them if it means sacrificing their creative freedom?

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of studio. Mostly profit / money.

In terms of EA being alive. Mostly has to do with people still buying the game.
    Doesn't really how much we are or aren't informed. It is the other consumer that continually buy it. Why else would.they continue.

Money.

People keep buying their games. Studios keep taking their money to be bought. It all comes down to money. People might criticize EA but it seems more people would rather buy their games. When people quit buying EA games, EA will no longer keep going.

Their plans might seem absurd, but their business plans are working. Every living soul that own games like Mass Effect and other games made by companies under EA's regime contributes to EA's existance.

That, and for some reason people keep on buying Fifa and Madden each year, even though it's practically the same.

Does none of the studios think long term then?

Studios are usually up for sale for a reason. They need money, and unfortunately for them EA is the only one buying.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    Does none of the studios think long term then?
    Long term doesn't matter when your short term is fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Studios are usually up for sale for a reason. They need money, and unfortunately for them EA is the only one buying.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 11:46 AM ----------

Long term doesn't matter when your short term is fucked.

Well I kind of have a hard time believing studios like Bioware was struggling financially prior to them being bought.

Well I kind of have a hard time believing studios like Bioware was struggling financially prior to them being bought.
    Just because you aren't struggling doesn't mean you're in the position to publish your own games. And publishers really like making people sign contracts...

Their games still keep selling and selling a lot, even their dumped down games. For example with Crysis, the first one didn't sold that well but received heavy praising. The second one sold a lot more but it was dumped down to target a wider audience. They even ported it to consoles.

EA is not the only one doing this trough..

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe true but sooner or later the ones running the studio get, well, tired. If a suit shows up with a truckload of money and you've been dealing with all the crap pretty much on your own for a decade or two... The offer of a big fat check and a golden parachute is probably incredibly tempting. Granted you might be signing the expiration date for half or more of your employees. But, well, its still a big fat check.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Greed can keep the most wretched of creatures alive.

Deleted
    Sims, Madden, Fifa. Digital distribution.
    And still they're not doing well, stock lost 75 or 80% within five years.

As for the studios letting themself being bought: what SirRobin said & some of the studios were not truly independent before but at least partially owned by venture capitalists and/or other investors.

If I remember correctly, Bioware was under contract with someone else at the time and EA bought that company out.

So I don't think Bioware had a say in it, not that they haven't benefitted greatly...

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people still think BF is a good game. But its still better than CoD.

Deleted
    ^Because people think SWTOR is a good game. But its still better than Warhammer Online: AoR.

10+ Year Old Account
    they prettymuch own exclusive rights to all the sports games, as well as a few other major titles (Sims)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've no idea, almost every game I've played from them was garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfInvocation View Post
    ^Because people think SWTOR is a good game. But its still better than Warhammer Online: AoR.
    SWTOR Has the best leveling experience ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfInvocation View Post
    Stopped playing SWTOR a long time ago, but I had always been leery about EA having anything to do with it. Just havent removed my signature and at least SWTOR was a new game, BF3 is a updated version of BF2 where they took out maps so they could sell them as DLC. Will never ever ever buy another BF game and probably never buy a EA licensed game. EA is dead to me.

This is a thing that completely baffles me.

Assuming that EA pretty much kills the studios they buy how do they continue to make a profit? Or why would any studio let EA buy them if it means sacrificing their creative freedom?
    They make money because people buy their games and DLC. If people didn't, they wouldn't make money and therefore would close.

Because the people that own studios for the most reason see one thing, dollar signs. If I have a game I've made and you offer me a lot of money for it, which EA can do thanks to their big pockets, I probably would sell it to you. Then, it doesn't matter what I think, you have the rights to it and can do what you want with it. That's why studios sell themselves. It's a paycheck and business, not a friendship.