10+ Year Old Account

m-ITX gaming build for a friend

Woooo it's my first time actually making a build question thread :P

Long story short: Friend wants a gaming build for MW3/Black Ops 2, GW2, etc etc you know the drill. But the main thing here is she saw the white BitFenix Prodigy and fell in love with it and wants her build in that. I kept telling her dammit girl, that is a mITX case and you can't fit shit-all in it...but she insisted she wanted the build in that. Le sigh.

CPU: i5 3570
    Mobo: ASRock H77M-ITX
    RAM: Vengeance 2x4GB LP
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce OC
    SSD: Samsung 830 Series 64gb (she doesn't believe in SSD's but I managed to convince her, this is the most she'll spend on one)
    HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue
    PSU: Seasonic S12II 430w (getting this at a bargain)

Resolution is 1080p, it'll most probably end up being her TV in the lounge.

I've never worked with mITX before so gimme some feedback of whether this will all at least FIT together? That is one of the shortest GPU's I could find. Hopefully cable management goes alright too.

I didn't mention the budget because if I did people's eyes would fall if they saw the prices here. Put the budget aside for now and suggest to me if I can improve this in any significant way
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-10-11 at 02:00 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

It should fit, the Bitfenix website says you can install graphics cards up to 320 mm length.

for reference: http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/pr.../prodigy#specs

I believe in TTL Custom's review of the case, he mentions it will fit an oversized 6990. You should be able to fit any GFX card in it that you want. The case is not all that small when you get to look at it in person. You can actually also fit a full blown custom water loop in the thing as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It should fit, the Bitfenix website says you can install graphics cards up to 320 mm length.

for reference: http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/pr.../prodigy#specs
    320 mm if you remove the HHD cage, but I guess she would be Ok with two harddrives? Could always stick the SSD to the side panel.

as for improvements: you can always have a stronger GPU and I would get a Caviar Black HDD instead, not only for higher performance but they use way more quality parts to build them.
    Quote for reply

Make sure the PSU is the correct format, some ITX cases only take a slimline PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Droih View Post
    320 mm if you remove the HHD cage, but I guess she would be Ok with two harddrives? Could always stick the SSD to the side panel.
    If I remember correctly, the Prodigy actually has 2.5" drive mounts on the side panel.

As for the case itself, it is widely viewed as one of the best small-footprint gaming cases available, it was also one of the first to prove that you can put a full-powered gaming build in an ITX case. However, there are other options becoming available, like the new Fractal Design Node 304 or the Cooler Master Elite 120.

Either way, it will fit a full sized GPU just fine, so you don't have to restrict it to such a short GPU if you don't want to.

Also, here's TTL's review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOi_vbyKLik

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Make sure the PSU is the correct format, some ITX cases only take a slimline PSU.
    Prodigy fits a normal sized ATX, won't fit an extended ATX PSU like the AX1200 though.

I'd have to say, after watching this review I'm tempted to go to a mITX build myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup silly me for not watching TTL/Linus reviews of the Prodigy, christ that case can fit pretty much anything. I had a rather skewed perception of mITX cases at first.

Still, a GTX 660 should still be enough for her needs with a non-K CPU and H77 mobo...I don't want to leave her with an overclocked rig that could potentially run into instability at some point.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-10-11 at 02:55 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    I'd have to say, after watching this review I'm tempted to go to a mITX build myself.
    Yeah. They're great if you want a portable build with a small foot-print. I went back and forth between the Prodigy and the case I ended up getting (Silverstone TJ08-E, it is an mATX case but it is still incredibly small). There are obviously some limitations though, only one GPU for example... Still, people are doing some crazy stuff with the Prodigy: http://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/1...lights-galleri

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Yup silly me for not watching TTL/Linus reviews of the Prodigy, christ that case can fit pretty much anything. I had a rather skewed perception of mITX cases at first.
    Same here, I had no idea the Prodigy existed until tetrisGOAT recommended it when I mentioned I wanted a small case.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Still, a GTX 660 should still be enough for her needs with a non-K CPU and H77 mobo...I don't want to leave her with an overclocked rig that could potentially run into instability at some point.
    Yeah. If you were going for an overclocked build I'd probably recommend that ASUS Z77 mobo with the daughter board housing a bunch of VRMs and heatsinks. But for an H77 build, that mobo choice is perfect.

Yeah. If you were going for an overclocked build I'd probably recommend that ASUS Z77 mobo with the daughter board housing a bunch of VRMs and heatsinks. But for an H77 build, that mobo choice is perfect.
    The Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, in case anybody was wondering