10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call them the best. And to be fair, I read it for an English class. I don't plan on reading the rest, mostly because I'm not particularly interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I wouldn't call it the best. And to be fair, I read it for an English class. I don't plan on reading the rest, mostly because I'm not particularly interested.
    I read all three in one day. Not terrible, not great. There are better dystopias to read.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could we get an actual answer for this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I know you belong to a privileged class in your country.

Could we get an actual answer for this statement:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish...ong_the_gentry
    "Opposition to the Swedish language was partly based around historical prejudices and conflicts that had sprung up during the 19th century. The intensified language strife and the aspiration to raise the Finnish language and Finnic culture from peasant status to the position of a national language and a national culture gave rise to negative portrayals of Swedish speakers as foreign oppressors of the peaceful Finnish-speaking peasant.
    Even though the proportional distribution of Swedish-speakers among different social strata closely reflects that of the general population, there is still a lingering conception of Swedish as a language of the historical upper class culture of Finland. This is reinforced by the fact that Swedish-speakers are statistically overrepresented among "old money " families as well as within the Finnish nobility consisting of about 6000 persons, of which about two thirds are Swedish-speakers. Still the majority of the Swedish-speaking Finns have traditionally been farmers and fishermen from the Finnish coastal municipalities and archipelago."

Heh. Probably reading into his world view a bit too much, combined with what I know from a couple Finnish people I talk to. Sometimes I make bold statements on a guess.

If I was wrong, I'm wrong.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't expect you to make broad statements about the character and status of an individual based on stereotypes, so you'll understand why I asked for an explanation.

I didn't expect you to make broad statements about the character and status of an individual based on stereotypes, so you'll understand why I asked for an explanation.
    Can you link something proving those broad statements and something that defines character and status of an individual based on stereotypes and also prove what you mean by stereotypes via link?
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was actually arguing that the generalization that Belfpala was making about Diurdi was incorrect, because it's the application of a stereotype. Here's Cata's quote when I asked for information:

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish...ong_the_gentry
    "Opposition to the Swedish language was partly based around historical prejudices and conflicts that had sprung up during the 19th century. The intensified language strife and the aspiration to raise the Finnish language and Finnic culture from peasant status to the position of a national language and a national culture gave rise to negative portrayals of Swedish speakers as foreign oppressors of the peaceful Finnish-speaking peasant.
    Even though the proportional distribution of Swedish-speakers among different social strata closely reflects that of the general population, there is still a lingering conception of Swedish as a language of the historical upper class culture of Finland. This is reinforced by the fact that Swedish-speakers are statistically overrepresented among "old money " families as well as within the Finnish nobility consisting of about 6000 persons, of which about two thirds are Swedish-speakers. Still the majority of the Swedish-speaking Finns have traditionally been farmers and fishermen from the Finnish coastal municipalities and archipelago."
    It's this notion that Diurdi is somehow privileged despite that stereotype being unfounded, as Cata was able to show.

I think you misunderstood my point, but nice attempt to catch me here. Maybe next time.

Good news everybody!

HPV vaccine not tied to increased promiscuity for girls

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Good news everybody!

The mind boggles that someone spent time and money on this study. Did someone actually think there was a link?!?
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    The mind boggles that someone spent time and money on this study. Did someone actually think there was a link?!?
    Yeah there was a bunch of shit from the right when it first came up saying that if women didn't have to worry about HPV they'd turn into sluts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah there was a bunch of shit from the right when it first came up saying that if women didn't have to worry about HPV they'd turn into sluts.
    Yes...because girls think about HPV when having sex....

Yeesh...I don't like to think there are actually people that out of touch with reality wandering about.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Sex makes people all kinds of stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Yeesh...I don't like to think there are actually people that out of touch with reality wandering about.
    They're not wandering. They're campaigning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They're not wandering. They're campaigning.
    I think he is talking about those that this campaigning appeales to. If there was no one that agreed, it would be pretty dumb to campaign on it.

I just love this Romney's quote, in case anyone didn't see it:

Sex makes people all kinds of stupid.
    It makes some kinds of people a lot more stupid than other kinds.

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 10:55 PM ----------

Good news everybody!

The only knock I have on this stupid is that the only point in studying this is to dispel the notion held by extremely conservative fundamentalist Christians, yet these people are immune to evidence altogether, rendering the study pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I just love this Romney's quote, in case anyone didn't see it:
    Actually found that kind of funny. Romneybot has a bit of a sense of humor.

He's still an out of touch tool, a quantum particle, and the last man I want to see as president (well, if you ignore Dick Cheney, Dubya, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachman, Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Fred Phelps and Snooki) but w/e.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Actually found that kind of funny. Romneybot has a bit of a sense of humor.
    Agreed, that comment in and of itself is fine. Having money really is fun! I'm not rich at all, just middle class with an above average income for my age, and I'd already agree that it's more fun having money. When I was a kid, i thought it'd be fun being a scientist and making a lot of money! LOLOLOLOL@ child version of me for thinking scientists make a lot of money... but really, making money is fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Agreed, that comment in and of itself is fine. Having money really is fun! I'm not rich at all, just middle class with an above average income for my age, and I'd already agree that it's more fun having money. When I was a kid, i thought it'd be fun being a scientist and making a lot of money! LOLOLOLOL@ child version of me for thinking scientists make a lot of money... but really, making money is fun.
    If you think it's fun, devide 20 million by how much you make, and that's how many times more fun he is having. I'm sure saying it's bad ass does not do it justice, but damn. If it makes you feel any better, you can drink coffee and get drunk!