Help me! Understand Magic Finding!

I just don't get it. In all honesty, I have 165 magic find with 5 stacks. I haven't come across a Set Item(1) or Legendary( a pitiful 3) worth a damn. I have hardly seen rares worth a damn, highest being 10 million.

Understand with more farming that, will be getting more magic finding. Yet, I feel I am at the wall without insane luck or grind. I can currently farm Act 2( Clear the Desolate Sands to Kul in 30 mins) not a problem, but Act 3 is a death warrant.

So here is my question. How do drop rates work? Can I see Set items in Act 2 and can I get 63 legendary in Act2?

I understand kill rate to drop rate, in a sense. Yet, I just don't see it getting better without luck or grinding so much that I max out my Paragon level. (currently lvl 10)

So I guess any advice would be helpful.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    D3 is literally the RNG game just before It's predecessors except the RNG drop rate via D3 is actually worse even WITH mf due to the AH related stuff which they even admit to it so in this sense OP you will find something

Eventually

Hell aprox about 2 days ago I actually played the game again just to set some auctions and I played the game about 15 hours+ do you know how much MF I run with? 346% without any MF gear due to my paragon level and do you know what I find? N O T H I N G hell even the yellows weren't worth anything. Legendary 63s can drop A N Y W H E R E hell I got bored one day and did a butcher one and it yielded me a GG Iceclimbers with movement which I lol'd

Anyway I'll introduce you to the MF page that blizzard has posted

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/equipment

1.05 will give you even more MF and the rates will be doubled legendary wise so it will improve neverless OP well not as much as you think unless you play as I did.

Deleted
    I don't think the drop rates of rares or legendaries are affected by the act. However, the item level is. So, in order to find a high ilvl legendary your best chances are Act 3. Also, 165% MF is not high. I farm Act 3 with 375%MF and I don't find legendaries/set items very often.

So, yeah you can find level 63 legendaries in all acts of Inferno but it's more likely to find them in Act 3/4 than any of the other Acts. Keep in mind that MF only affects the quality (Legendary, 6-affix rare ect..) and NOT the item level. Item level is fixed by the act.

Ah well, thanks for your input.

I don't get it... you say items under 10 million gold aren't "worth a damn", implying that you have a fair bit of cash, and yet you don't have enough gear to do act 3?

If you want good drops, you should be killing as quickly as possible by having two runspeed items, having a spec which emphasizes quick kills and utilizes runspeed talent(s), and by gearing up of course. For spec and gear advice read your class forum on diablofans.

You should be doing act 3, and you should be doing routes rather than questing your way through an act. The best maps are core, arreat lv 1+2, tower lv 1, keep lv 2+3, fields of slaugher and heading south from the rakkis wp. Some of these maps are better for some classes than others - as a WD I don't do fields or keep lv 2. This will greatly increase the number of white mobs and elite packs you kill in a given period of time, not to mention grant you more paragon exp for even more magic find. Magic find on gear is great, but not at the cost of too much damage. Bosses are generally a bust, they take too long for the items + exp they give.

Until you gear up, the best act 2 route is to get yourself checkpointed in the vault of the assassin so that your games start there. Run that, the ruined cistern, the black canyon mines, road to alcarnus (avoid the top part of the town), and the two side dungeons in the terminus. Don't do the center one, it sucks and I think it checkpoints you. Finish up by checking the oasis and desolate sands waypoints as they seem to be stacked with a pack or two quite often, then by checking from the ancient path WP up to the sands for a goblin which is frequently spawned there.
    Last edited by Trotheus; 2012-10-15 at 07:16 PM.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    I have hardly seen rares worth a damn, highest being 10 million.
    Act 3 is a death warrant.
    These two sentences are contradictory. 10 million is pretty close to all you need to make Act III feasible. About 15 mill is all it takes to make a set of gear that will get you through the game with minimal deaths. I assume that's not all the gold you've earned, so there's really no reason for you to be struggling.

My guess is that your problem is not a gear problem or a MF problem - but a player problem. Would highly recommend that you post your profile here or do some research on your class.

That said, 165% MF is really not very much. You're only halfway to cap. To answer your question though, nothing drops in Act III that won't drop in Act II. You just have better chances of getting better loot in the higher Acts. This is tempered though by the fact that the higher Acts can be slower going. You can race through Act I and use the quantity over quality approach, or you can push higher Acts and try for better quality. Which position to take is a question that is answerable only by you. It will be irrelevant soon though. In 1.05, you will use MP to determine the quality/quantity decision and run whatever Act you like the best.

Your post really comes off as more of a whine than a question. You don't really want to know how MF works. You want to know why you've not found the kind of gear you think you should be finding. The answer is that Blizzard fucked up and has set the "effort to reward" ratio way too high. 1.05 may bring it down some, but that alone probably isn't enough. The loot system they set up in D3 is just not as engaging as the one was in D2. Unfortunately, that kind of systemic change will probably not occur in anything other than an expansion (if at all).
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    These two sentences are contradictory. 10 million is pretty close to all you need to make Act III feasible. About 15 mill is all it takes to make a set of gear that will get you through the game with minimal deaths. I assume that's not all the gold you've earned, so there's really no reason for you to be struggling.
    Could you be more condescending?

Look. The 10 million I found was in the first time I stepped in Inferno with a decent lvl 61 rare, a ring with crit and crit damage and that's all it had. I used the cash for tank barb as was the FOTM at the time. Since then, I hadn't played. Still had the shit items from then with no cash. So, I have to farm the rest of my gear since then.

I have farmed a bit recently. 45k HP, 1000 AR, 5.8 armor. 29k DPS. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jokerfiend-1136/

My DPS is no where near enough to get myself into Act 3 deep enough to farm. Elites literally rip my face off. I don't really think it's a player issue, though admitting, I don't really want to spend 3 million each ring(which I don't even have). All the guides I have read say I need at least 35k unbuffed DPS to farm Act 3.

I have shown my profile to several people and they all say the same thing. I am stuck in between. These people advocated at least 5-7 million or 20$ dollars worth of upgrades that would allow me to farm into Act 3. I have only 2 million right now and will never use the RMAH. So please enlighten me.

I have to spend hours farming for the cash. Which would take me around 3 weeks total. As I play maybe 3-5 hours a week. I have been extremely unlucky, and was wondering perhaps I was doing something wrong. I find jack shit 99.9 of the time. ilvl 52-55 rares are common. I spent 4 hours farming this weekend, and had nothing above ilvl 61 rare. ( Yes I made sure I was doing Inferno.) So came here asking if I didn't understand something.

Understand it, I guess. Just doesn't seem like I can get past this hump without getting lucky or an extreme grind. So again, enlighten me.

Deleted
    Understand it, I guess. Just doesn't seem like I can get past this hump without getting lucky or an extreme grind. So again, enlighten me.
    You said it yourself. You have have to grind aka PLAY THE GAME. From your post I can only assume you actually don't want to play the game. If you don't play more than others why do you want to get rewarded? Look at most players that have awesome gear and compare their playtime and kills with yours.

Deleted
    Could you be more condescending?

Look. The 10 million I found was in the first time I stepped in Inferno with a decent lvl 61 rare, a ring with crit and crit damage and that's all it had. I used the cash for tank barb as was the FOTM at the time. Since then, I hadn't played. Still had the shit items from then with no cash. So, I have to farm the rest of my gear since then.

I have farmed a bit recently. 45k HP, 1000 AR, 5.8 armor. 29k DPS. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jokerfiend-1136/

My DPS is no where near enough to get myself into Act 3 deep enough to farm. Elites literally rip my face off. I don't really think it's a player issue, though admitting, I don't really want to spend 3 million each ring(which I don't even have). All the guides I have read say I need at least 35k unbuffed DPS to farm Act 3.

I have shown my profile to several people and they all say the same thing. I am stuck in between. These people advocated at least 5-7 million or 20$ dollars worth of upgrades that would allow me to farm into Act 3. I have only 2 million right now and will never use the RMAH. So please enlighten me.

I have to spend hours farming for the cash. Which would take me around 3 weeks total. As I play maybe 3-5 hours a week. I have been extremely unlucky, and was wondering perhaps I was doing something wrong. I find jack shit 99.9 of the time. ilvl 52-55 rares are common. I spent 4 hours farming this weekend, and had nothing above ilvl 61 rare. ( Yes I made sure I was doing Inferno.) So came here asking if I didn't understand something.

Just play an Act 3 public game. People love tanks there. You'll probably be matched with 3 demon hunters or something. When I do pubs it's often an all DH group. You bring the tankiness, they bring the DPS, everyone wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroterror View Post
    You said it yourself. You have have to grind aka PLAY THE GAME. From your post I can only assume you actually don't want to play the game. If you don't play more than others why do you want to get rewarded? Look at most players that have awesome gear and compare their playtime and kills with yours.
    Hmm what?

I was asking if I was doing something or am I looking at a never ending grind without a possible reward. Have you played 4 hours and not got anything higher than a 61 rare?

Again, I'm not afraid to play the game in the slightest. I wouldn't have 110 hours in the game if I was. I was asking if I was doing something wrong and advice to fix it if I was. Theoretically, I can farm longer, more often, and with higher MF than any player in the game. THAT DOESN'T MEAN I will end up getting rewarded for it.

So thus your comment sums up your attitude fairly well. Nice alt, post that on your main account. You know, the one you're actually a decent human being on.

Though, from what I can tell. I am NOT doing anything wrong and the game is working as intended. I just thought, that perhaps, I could get some advice for MFing in a more optimal spot.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 03:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    Just play an Act 3 public game. People love tanks there. You'll probably be matched with 3 demon hunters or something. When I do pubs it's often an all DH group. You bring the tankiness, they bring the DPS, everyone wins.
    I went FOTM WW barb with the farming I have been doing. I still have some of the tank gear, though, it sucks.

Deleted

I went FOTM WW barb with the farming I have been doing. I still have some of the tank gear, though, it sucks.
    You could try a weapon throw barb. They're not being nerfed next patch, unlike WW, and they're very strong with very cheap gear.

I'd also recommend farming in public games anyway. I gave them a try and found them so much fun that I did paragon level 1 to 57 just in Act 3 pub games. I'm playing as a DH and initially I just liked having other people around to tank for me, but I thought that in your case you could play the tank and have other people DPS for you. I like pub games because there's more scope to pick a role and play it to support the team, whereas in solo play you feel compelled to play whatever is most efficient.

Deleted
    Hmm what?

I was asking if I was doing something or am I looking at a never ending grind without a possible reward. Have you played 4 hours and not got anything higher than a 61 rare?
    Yes but I didn't create a thread for it.
    Again, I'm not afraid to play the game in the slightest. I wouldn't have 110 hours in the game if I was. I was asking if I was doing something wrong and advice to fix it if I was. Theoretically, I can farm longer, more often, and with higher MF than any player in the game. THAT DOESN'T MEAN I will end up getting rewarded for it.
    That's exactly what it means. If you play for more hours with maximum MF then in the long run you will find many more potentially good items of which a very small amount can be exceptional. As I said before, MF is the only thing defining if an item is going to be a Legendary or a 6-affix rare ect. Unless you get perfect rolls on certain stats your best chance of finding good items are if they are in any of those two categories. I suggest you modify your gear in a way that allows you to farm an Act of Inferno with maximum MF, fast. I can't see your profile (link is dead) so I can't make specific suggestions but if you haven't done so already then an easy way to boost your MF is with your follower. You can get 24% (I think) MF from him/her while having a red gem on your helm for leveling and you are good to go. Sorry if you are already doing this but unfortunately as I said I can't take a look at your profile.

@ Jokerfiend: You can still stand to drop some health / resists in favor of more dps-oriented stats. My barb is now under 30k hp and barely 500 AR unbuffed and has been screaming through act 3.

Edit: After playing around a bit, MP3 is just a hair too tough for me due to the LoH nerf, the AR nerf, and the low health I already mentioned I had. I can do it but I seem to die once or twice a map, which is just too much. I also have a very low dps offhand, which isn't viable anymore.
    Last edited by Trotheus; 2012-10-17 at 12:19 AM.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.