Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I'm safe from nuclear power stations

a nuclear power plant depending on when it was made is a nice safe concrete shelter able to withstand a 747 hitting it from pretty much any angle

there is no problem with containment..just more thick heavy concrete

and if you have a thorium reactor or one of the next generation nuclear reactors you have nuclear power for quite a while compared to any other power source containment protocols and how well you maintain it means you could power a small commune inside the power plant for quite a few years
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

Deleted
    First on my checklist would be to protect my eyes, mouth and nose from blood splatter when bashing zombie heads. Something all too much overlooked in movies and series. =/

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Yes, we all know that the chance of there being a zombie apocalypse is very slim. Nevertheless, there is still a possibility of it happening, and in such an event we would definitely want to be prepared as best we can. This thread is for us to discuss how a zombie apocalypse might pan out, the scenarios that might arise, and the tactics to survive any of these eventualities. Everything from weaponry, combat tactics, food, resources, shelter, vehicles & transport, fuel, group size and structure, cures, apocalypse psychology, pre-preparation and so forth.

While this is obviously a fun topic, and also not very likely to happen, it is still an actual discussion to prepare for a zombie apocalypse. So please try to be at least a little realistic with your contributions. That is to say, suggestions that are actually likely to help our survival.

-Let's discuss zombie survival!
    Actually the chance of zombie apocalypse is none. It can't be logically explained. So in the case of a zombie apocalypse I would be extremely surprised and I'd head for the Winchester.

I'm certain everyone will be surprised if it were to ever happen but it's still a fun topic especially for fans of the genre.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    a nuclear power plant depending on when it was made is a nice safe concrete shelter able to withstand a 747 hitting it from pretty much any angle

there is no problem with containment..just more thick heavy concrete

and if you have a thorium reactor or one of the next generation nuclear reactors you have nuclear power for quite a while compared to any other power source containment protocols and how well you maintain it means you could power a small commune inside the power plant for quite a few years
    It depends. I don't know of newer nuclear power plants, but for older ones, there's usually a facility near it where they store the heavy water resulted from the reactor along some kind of nuclear waste before it's safe to transport (and dump it somewhere in a poor country so that those people die and not yours).

However, if that plant doesn't get a constant flow of fresh water, the tension starts to build up until it blows. Given that these facilities are situated close to the nuclear reactors, a blow from that could rupture the reactor shelling and thus cause a nuclear fallout. Even without a full nuclear explosion from the reactor, the facility where the residue is stored exploding would still create radioactive clouds, smaller but quite as deadly.

---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    Actually the chance of zombie apocalypse is none. It can't be logically explained. So in the case of a zombie apocalypse I would be extremely surprised and I'd head for the Winchester.
    Actually the chance of a zombie apocalypse is quite medium, though not as the Hollywood zombies.

However, zombie-like behaviour is similar to some stages in rabies disease. Also, diseases evolve everyday, one that affects the brain and gives limited movement, rotting and some other effects isn't that unbelivable.

Also, with the invention and future introduction of nanites in people's bodies, something not yet fully done, but something which will be done this century, these nanites might break and thus break your normal body working, while also repairing the damage caused by foreign hits, objects etc. They might also be used for ind-controlling, yes, you read this right, because having small nanites in your body has been proven to have different effects on the way of behaving of the subject according to what signals the nanites give.

So, overall, a Hollywood zombie apocalypse? Impossible indeed. A disease like the bubonic plague or nanites? Quite possible.

I would use my bow and arrows... Because lets say it happens like in the movies and games... Zombies are attracted to sound and a bow and arrow is silent... Could kill very quickly and easy.

Terms of resources: Light pack with food that wont go off and water, Quiver/arrows/bow, Basic stuff to make tools in which i can use to build make shift shelters and last but not least a pen and notebook... I would like to keep a diary of sorts on what happens to me and people i meet
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypro View Post
    I would use my bow and arrows... Because lets say it happens like in the movies and games... Zombies are attracted to sound and a bow and arrow is silent... Could kill very quickly and easy.
    But then you'd have to retrieve your arrows which is rather cumbersome.

You might die in an attempt to get your ammo back. Or like in the walking dead last episode, a zombie may appear dead on the ground, but then bam, it bites your shit.

Deleted
    How important is aim? I've heard that you can't afford to miss head shots.

Apparently there simply is no room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post

You might die in an attempt to get your ammo back. Or like in the walking dead last episode, a zombie may appear dead on the ground, but then bam, it bites your shit.
    You don't have to, you get to, something you can't do with bullets.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

You should be careful at all times I personally would stab it just to ensure its dead.

How important is aim? I've heard that you can't afford to miss head shots.

Apparently there simply is no room for error.
    Ammo would be scarce as I imagine mass production of it would stop and everyone will try to get a gun and ammo. And depending on the situation aim can be VERY important.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon View Post
    You don't have to, you get to, something you can't do with bullets.
    Exactly and ontop of this you can craft your own arrows and its a silent weapon.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Mosquitoes don't feed on dead bodies so they wouldn't feed on zombies.
    List your source.

My weapon:

I Want a Zombie apocalypse already, i know it's not as fun as it looks and i would probably die but i want it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    You should be careful at all times I personally would stab it just to ensure its dead.

Ammo would be scarce as I imagine mass production of it would stop and everyone will try to get a gun and ammo. And depending on the situation aim can be VERY important.

Exactly and ontop of this you can craft your own arrows and its a silent weapon.
    There's way way way more than enough bullets in the world to kill the entire human race. I don't think ammo would be as scarce as people think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    There's way way way more than enough bullets in the world to kill the entire human race. I don't think ammo would be as scarce as people think.
    But let's say you have 5 runners advancing on you fairly quickly?
    I'm assuming in such a situation you would not have the luxury of missing a shot.

But let's say you have 5 runners advancing on you fairly quickly?
    I'm assuming in such a situation you would not have the luxury of missing a shot.
    I'm not talking about combat, I'm just talking about the number of bullets that exist in the world.

Deleted
    Zombie apocalypse psychology question here.

Is it a bad idea to trust a hot girl that appears to need help? How about an old man? Is there any room for compassion or will it get you killed?

Deleted
    If you can only turn in to a zombie while beeing bit , the chance areal z-acopolypse will come is smaller then 1% .
    If its airbourne and only a small% of people are immune to it , different story i guess.

If it would happen and i'm one of the survivors and i start out in my home , i would start like this :
    1st : i don't have a real weapon at home so i would probably take the huge butcher knifes out of closet since that's the closest what looks like a real weapon.
    2nd : take my bagpack and fill it with any sorth of food / drink i got in home and trow it in my car.
    3rd : drive off and survive!

Zombie apocalypse psychology question here.

Is it a bad idea to trust a hot girl that appears to need help? How about an old man? Is there any room for compassion or will it get you killed?
    In my opinion, it's a bad idea. You can't really know if a person is trustworthy or not, and even if they seem to be, it may be a ploy for them to steal supplies. It's best to avoid them or shoot everything and anything that moves.