Thread: Getting Bored?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Not sure about the hipster reference but the game definitely got boring fast. The primary reason in my opinion is the utter simplicity of the game. This is, without doubt or hesitation, the simplest MMO I have ever played (and I started playing MMO's with Meridian 59). Everything from character development to combat tactics is extremely simple to grasp and master so there just isn't any challenge. Got to lvl 80 within first month without much effort, and while it was fun, there just isn't any reason to play once you have put together your full exotic set. The WvW is rather poorly implemented and by that I mean boring and uninteresting and the dungeons are not compelling enough to run more than once or twice. So, after the fun ride to cap and gearing out, you are left with the feeling of "finishing" the game as running an alt has no appeal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Well, I'm like, kinda a self loathing faux-hipster. So I guess it was sorta designed for me!
    I need to hear namelessone's definition on hipster. is it grunge? its it punk? what is it that you dislike so much?

chances are he threw out a word without even knowing what it means. typical.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's funny because every time I log in, the map chat in that zone is nothing but WoW-bashing. =D
    I am sorry but I am going to call you out on this. Which server are you on? I will transfer there and check it out because on my server, the only mention that I have seen of WOW is someone in Harathi Hinterlands complaining that the name was like Arathi Highlands in WOW.

Deleted
    It's funny because every time I log in, the map chat in that zone is nothing but WoW-bashing. =D
    That's the #1 proof the people are not playing gw because it makes fun for them, but only they...hate wow?

Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    That's the #1 proof the people are not playing gw because it makes fun for them, but only they...hate wow?
    That has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen and it makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would someone do something they don't like just because they hate something else. No one is being forced to play anything. In fact, quite a few people play both games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    Both your post and the one you quoted are ridiculous, no one plays a game because he hates X game, what type of mentality is that?

Bovinity your posts are borderline trolling imo, while you have great and constructive posts on gw2, you whine on most of your posts about every damn thing, as I told you once if you dnt like it stop playing it aeriosuly how hard can it be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    definition on hipster

Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I am sorry but I am going to call you out on this. Which server are you on? I will transfer there and check it out because on my server, the only mention that I have seen of WOW is someone in Harathi Hinterlands complaining that the name was like Arathi Highlands in WOW.
    the 3rd day of the release i have seen some wow bashing on my server in lions arch... but since then i have never crossed any conversation about wow in gw...

Deleted
    I haven't seen a wow conversation in GW2 since I stopped playing.

But on a serious note, it wasn't all that bad. There were some people here and there complaining about it for the first couple of days and then it dropped off. Lots of people left as well though (at least in my friend group) when MoP came out.

Deleted
    To answer OP: not I'm not bored

At least there is no subscription, so no pressure to log in. Just take a break and come back later, be it a month, a year, etc. Relaxing.
    Waste not, want not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostea23 View Post
    At least there is no subscription, so no pressure to log in. Just take a break and come back later, be it a month, a year, etc. Relaxing.
    No offense but there is no pressure from a subscription either, if i know i wont play for a few months or a year i press the cancel button. The pressure from sub games generally comes from falling behind in the gear grind or if you signed for an annual pass in which case its your own fault, having a sub model does not mean your forced to play ever day of every year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    No offense but there is no pressure from a subscription either, if i know i wont play for a few months or a year i press the cancel button. The pressure from sub games generally comes from falling behind in the gear grind or if you signed for an annual pass in which case its your own fault, having a sub model does not mean your forced to play ever day of every year.
    How do you handle the situation where you want to play 1 - 2 days / week and you have to pay a monthly fee ? Sure if the fee model would be how WoW in China is, then it wouldn't be a problem. But otherwise you have a very real pressure from the subscription fee.

Edit: and to answer the OP , no I am not getting bored. I have several characters, I play with friends and we have a lot of fun. Also I don't pay any fees
    Last edited by mmocc1593c1b93; 2012-10-20 at 08:41 AM.

Most of that supposed "pressure" from sub fees is one players place on themselves. Actually replace most with all.

Now reward systems- that would be another matter. As it effects every player, regardless.

Deleted
    the "pressure" of a subscription game is that most people like to get the most of the month they buy

there is no such pressure in gw2 since you can leave and come back anytime. This also means you don't have to rush through content.

part of it is also the treadmill progression model that most sub based mmos used. if you don't play all of the time, you fall behind. combine that with a sub and it does create that "pressure" to play

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I didn't get bored with GW2, but I quit because it felt like the game designed by hipsters for hipsters, with a community to fit the profile.
    So... this game is made on a vinyl, with starbucks stores everywhere and nutella on our homemade loaf? Seems interesting.

Can I call WoW being a game designed by Nerds for Nerds with a community to fit the Nerdragers? No, not at all.

The fact of the subscription fee pressure is quite simple, you pay for a whole month when you just want to play for a few days, you get f'd up with the time you're not on (for people who don't have much money it's an issue). There were some games that actually sold you gametime, sounds interesting but bad at the same time (overpricing, happened on RO)
    Last edited by barackopala; 2012-10-20 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    So... this game is made on a vinyl, with starbucks stores everywhere and nutella on our homemade loaf? Seems interesting.
    Haha.

Keep the hipster thing going guys. It amuses me.

The fact of the subscription fee pressure is quite simple, you pay for a whole month when you just want to play for a few days, you get f'd up with the time you're not on (for people who don't have much money it's an issue). There were some games that actually sold you gametime, sounds interesting but bad at the same time (overpricing, happened on RO)
    It's really more the gear thing than $. If $ is an issue the problem isn't the game itself- but the player's dilemma.

Sometimes people choose to play the wrong type of games for them and base criticism on that faulty decision.

Well, that's sort of irrelevant.

Sure it is easier to catch up in a theme park MMOs these days- but the design conceit exist regardless. Doesn't matter what sideways or fast track systems for catching up exist. The design of tiered progression at the end of game of a number of theme park MMOs is perpetual & compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's not just easier. There's little - if any - "catching up" that actually goes on in modern MMO's for the most part. Hell, with the introduction of LFR a given character is "raid ready" just by hitting max level.
    Raid ready is not really what I am talking about here. It too is irrelevant.

The entire model of design in a gear based MMO, which World of Warcraft is-- is based on continual progression of character power. The very first quest series in WoW reveals the entirety of it's game design. A masterstroke of game design, actually.

But there is no option. To play the game as designed one is on a track [however long it takes does not matter] to acquire greater power. Forever. Within the context of popular theme park MMOs that is measured by progression systems pre and post the final level advancement; gear, AA/PA, SPCs, etc.

To play World of Warcraft properly [or TOR or Rift] you are advancing through ranks of gear in a tiered system. This is not opinion.