Thread: NCAA football

Page 42 of 141 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The first BCS rankings are out, and as I've said time and time again, Florida is ranked too high. As is Mississippi State. The only thing the have going for them is three in-conference wins, but it's all bottom-tier teams. This week they play Middle Tennessee State, and after that we'll see what they can really do. I'm also very surprised to see Iowa State so high. Ohio an Louisiana Tech deserve a top 25 spot as much, if not more than they do.
    I'm just not sure how Oregon can be 3rd right now. Sure, we've had a pretty lackadaisical schedule so far, but our wins have been solid, every time, without question. No one in the top 5 has really had any tough schedule, at least no one with an undefeated schedule (THAT's another conversation). We started our second fiddle to USC hype, and we've come out kicking everyone's ass. Alabama has had the same relatively easy schedule so far - iirc they come up against

The PAC-12 tears itself up every year, without a doubt, so these wins/loses that are odd (USC losing to Stanford, Stanford then losing to UW) are just the same run-of-the-mill shenanigans that happen every year. Same thing with the SEC - they are tearing themselves up as well. Alabama has one more tough game against LSU, and frankly, that won't be tough at all.

Oregon still has Stanford, USC and OR St. (who is creeping up the polls frighteningly fast). I know that the polls can change, so I guess I'm just bitching atm.

(btw - for those of you familiar with the history of the Civil War - it's going to be an insane game)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm just not sure how Oregon can be 3rd right now. Sure, we've had a pretty lackadaisical schedule so far, but our wins have been solid, every time, without question. No one in the top 5 has really had any tough schedule, at least no one with an undefeated schedule (THAT's another conversation). We started our second fiddle to USC hype, and we've come out kicking everyone's ass. Alabama has had the same relatively easy schedule so far - iirc they come up against
    Solid wins make exactly zero difference compared to shaky wins you win by one point in the final minute. The bulk of the BCS poll sources don't take into account margin or quality of victory. The only portion of the poll that actually pays attention to it is the AP. The coach's poll is complete nonsense always based on team name since the coaches can't actually watch every game. Soon enough these polls can all go burn in hell and we can have a four team playoff which will be followed very shortly by an 8 or 16 team format and NCAA football can be fixed. I absolutely hope the Ducks go undefeated and get a shot. Hell if they are a one loss team I hope they get in over a one loss SEC team. And ya, the Civil War game is going to be nuts. The Beavers are a massively improved team. Still think Oregon stomps them though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, a good start for Florida, but some terrible refereeing early on. Florida isn't letting Connor Shaw do anything. And now a personal fould on a defender for not even fucking touching the sliding quarterback. Really....

Heard a good one earlier. Color commentator said that a no-call on a defensive pass interference was a good call, because the receiver ran the wrong route, which was completely unrelated to the interference (the ball was still thrown accurately). The defender grabbed the receiver's arm and holds it. Later on, a defender on the other team had his hand in front of the receiver, which was preventing him from moving it up to catch (but he wasn't grabbing it). The commentator called the pass interference a "good call". Seriously, why do people need to go to college and get degrees on a job that apparently a casual fan can do better?
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-20 at 08:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    congratulations michigan.
    the refs ignore all teh offensive holding you do al l game long (key in on the 44 yard run adn the field goal setting up pass).
    you have home field advantage.
    and you still come within a hair of losing to a team with no offense.
    oh and that team put up more touchdowns then my dog or michigan did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Michigan's 900th win: ugly but delicious.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Michigan's 900th win: ugly but delicious.
    must be nice to have the refs in your pocket. i swear michigan gets away with more holding then ANYONE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, why do people need to go to college and get degrees on a job that apparently a casual fan can do better?
    At this point I'm fairly convinced that 50% of the TV analysts are truly clueless, while the other 50% are encouraged by the production staff to be deliberately contentious.

---------- Post added 2012-10-20 at 06:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    must be nice to have the refs in your pocket. i swear michigan gets away with more holding then ANYONE.
    I'm sure I'd be bitter if we'd lost, but I wouldn't be blaming it on a conspiracy.

Meanwhile, Nebraska has staged a pretty spiffy comeback in Evanston.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya know, I fully expected La. Tech to unload on Idaho after last week's narrow loss to TAMU. What I didn't expect was for Tech to have 49 with over 9 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. That's just ridonkulous.

WV is in dire need of a defense. Kansas State is making them look silly.
    Nothing surprising about Oklahoma against KU or USC against Colorado.

Georgia on upset watch right now, ooooh.

Tennessee is trying to hang in there with the tide.

Texas is about to be unranked after tonight and for good reason.

Except for the fumble at the beginning, I liked the Ducks against ASU on Thursday. A couple of friends complained that we didn't score any in the 2nd half but why risk it when our "hard" games are yet to come with USC in LA, Stanford at home and the civil war?

10+ Year Old Account
    Georgia upset would be awesome. because they'd have two losses, and even with a win next week over Florida, Florida would have the lead in the SEC east, assuming they won out after that.

Tennessee's hanging on only in the loosest sense of the word. Alabama is dominating without scoring a lot.

This commentator just compared Alabama to Kansas State. I'm not sure whether to laugh, cry(from laughing), or apply for a position at ESPN.

---------- Post added 2012-10-20 at 10:09 PM ----------

Ok, I still don't get it. People are still mentioning AJ McCarron on a Heisman list. I will admit that he's a very efficient quarterback, but his stats are not nearly as high as they should be to be close to the outlandish numbers we see elsewhere. He does have the Alabama record for most consecutive completions without an interception though.

His stats tonight: 17/26, 306 yards, 4 touchdowns. That's his best game of his career I do believe.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-21 at 02:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    or apply for a position at ESPN.
    Don't put yourself down to their level.

Unless you get in a sportscenter commercial. Those are pretty good.

K State is legit, I hope they get to play Alabama.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    K State hasn't play a defense esp a SEC type defense. Did you watch the cotton bowl last year when Arkansas beat them I mean I wouldn't be calling for Alabama or any top 4 SEC team really.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    K State is legit, I hope they get to play Alabama.
    I hope Oregon gets to rough up that Alabama defense in the title game. The SEC is a bit overrated this year. FL 2nd place hopefully won't last past the next couple of weeks.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hope Oregon gets to rough up that Alabama defense in the title game. The SEC is a bit overrated this year. FL 2nd place hopefully won't last past the next couple of weeks.

Which conference doesn't have overrated teams this year. Everybody thought USC was going to be undefeated and the best team then it was F.State,then WV and ND. Really who has Oregon played that is or was in the top 10 yet so far they are just a varsity team beating up on J. varsity teams atm. Now when they beat the Trojans and O.State then they will have earned the respect till then they gotta play second fiddle to the SEC who beats them when they play them (Auburn,LSU)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Which conference doesn't have overrated teams this year. Everybody thought USC was going to be undefeated and the best team then it was F.State,then WV and ND. Really who has Oregon played that is or was in the top 10 yet so far they are just a varsity team beating up on J. varsity teams atm. Now when they beat the Trojans and O.State then they will have earned the respect till then they gotta play second fiddle to the SEC who beats them when they play them (Auburn,LSU)
    I agree that Oregon hasn't had the roughest schedule yet, but the SEC is just playing themselves, and beating themselves. Same as the Pac-12.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yesterday was the first Michigan/Michigan St game I haven't watch in at least 13 years. Watching the highlights, ya not upset I missed that abortion.

Also, LOL at Overrated State University nearly blowing another game to another Big Ten bottom dweller. They nearly lost and gave up 49 to Indiana (INDIANA!) and nearly lost again this week. In what universe is OSU the 7th ranked team? They have one quality win against a mediocre Nebraska team (and one against an MSU team that can't score). I will be surprised if they come out of PSU next week still undefeated.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-10-21 at 08:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WEEK 9 RANKINGS

BCS
    1 Alabama
    2 Florida
    3 Kansas State
    4 Oregon
    5 Notre Dame
    6 LSU
    7 Oregon State
    8 Oklahoma
    9 USC
    10 Georgia
    11 Mississippi State
    12 Florida State
    13 South Carolina
    14 Texas Tech
    15 Rutgers
    16 Louisville
    17 Stanford
    18 Clemson
    19 West Virginia
    20 Texas A&M
    21 Boise State
    22 Michigan
    23 Texas
    24 Ohio
    25 Wisconsin

AP
    1 Alabama
    2 Oregon
    3 Florida
    4 Kansas State
    5 Notre Dame
    6 LSU
    7 Oregon State
    8 Oklahoma
    9 Ohio State
    10 USC
    11 Florida State
    12 Georgia
    13 Mississippi State
    14 Clemson
    15 Texas Tech
    16 Louisville
    17 South Carolina
    18 Rutgers
    19 Stanford
    20 Michigan
    21 Boise State
    22 Texas A&M
    23 Ohio
    24 Louisiana Tech
    25 West Virginia

USA Today
    1 Alabama
    2 Oregon
    3 Florida
    4 Kansas State
    5 Notre Dame
    6 LSU
    7 Oklahoma
    8 USC
    9 Oregon State
    10 Florida State
    11 Georgia
    12 Mississippi State
    13 Clemson
    14 Louisville
    15 Rutgers
    16 South Carolina
    17 Texas Tech
    18 Boise State
    19 Stanford
    20 Michigan
    21 Texas A&M
    22 West Virginia
    23 Ohio
    24 Texas
    25 Wisconsin

Harris
    1 Alabama
    2 Oregon
    3 Florida
    4 Kansas State
    5 Notre Dame
    6 LSU
    7 Oklahoma
    8 Oregon State
    9 USC
    10 Florida State
    11 Georgia
    12 Mississippi State
    13 Clemson
    14 Louisville
    15 Rutgers
    16 South Carolina
    17 Texas Tech
    18 Stanford
    19 Boise State
    20 Michigan
    21 Texas A&M
    22 West Virginia
    23 Ohio
    24 Texas
    25 TCU
    Last edited by Finangus; 2012-10-22 at 01:00 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oregon wins soundly and drops a ranking. Can't wait for the BCS to be gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oregon wins soundly and drops a ranking. Can't wait for the BCS to be gone.
    West Virginia is a tougher opponent than Arizona State.