Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

are monks really that bad or do people like to cry?

So i lvled my monk to lvl 12 and i'm enjoying it a lot but my motivation decreased immensly when i hear all the QQ how WW sucks in pvp. I am both a PVP and PVE'er and I will probably be WW/BM in pve and WW in pvp. Are monks really that bad? I like to do bgs and end up at the top of the ladder if i feel i did awesome. I like some nice damage but no glass cannon. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

10+ Year Old Account
    I find WW to be lacking in general. It just feels overly constrained to me, in PvE and PvP.

Brewmaster, however, is just truckloads of fun, all day every day.

WW Monks are lacking in pvp because it is hard to get onto a target for one (imagine a warrior without charge) and they have a very long buildup time. They do have some unique abilities such as Zen Meditation which can be used to stop your partners getting globalled by mages or something.

WW is in the dead middle of the DPS boards atm really.
    So don't expect to be topping meters if you raid with people of comparable skill.

That said, the sad thing is that there really isn't any instance in which WW are actually great. They have no niche.
    Last edited by morbidjbyrd; 2012-10-22 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidjbyrd View Post
    The sad thing is that there really isn't any instance in which WW are actually great. They have no niche.
    This ^. Although I really enjoy monk dpsing at the moment, they're not that strong compared to death knights or warriors. But I don't think we can complain too much either, the class is middlepack at the least.

Monks are ok when they get some gear. Our WW monk was #4 on our 25 man heroic Spirit Kings kill while having 463 + 489 one handers.

Deleted
    Dps wise it's fine, you're not going to be blowing up the #1 spot but you shouldn't be dead last ever either, a fair trade imo.

No idea about healing/tanking, I heart mistwalkers are op in PvE and apparently every spec sucks in PvP.

PvE is generally fine, one of the most survivable dps specs in the game, except when bosses physical cleave all melee. for example, if you don't make use of your mobility on will of the emperor you're a pretty big liability.

PvP -can- be fine, although I suspect that the more people learn what touch of Karma does and learn to not kite monks in a straight line, the more the dps spec will suffer. This mobility conversely is awesome for mistweaver because you don't need to aim it at a player except for paralyse-applies and such.

Brewmaster - i don't think it is bad if played at a decent skill level, but I can see many whines from others derived out of pugs about it because it is the tank that needs the most basic skill to function (all need ability at high end imo to squeeze the most out of).

It's a very "meh" class, considering it's suppost to be the theme of the expansion. They didn't make them OP like morons (ie when they made DKs) but they didn't make them great either. Poor choice on Blizzards part.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    It's a very "meh" class, considering it's suppost to be the theme of the expansion. They didn't make them OP like morons (ie when they made DKs) but they didn't make them great either. Poor choice on Blizzards part.
    I suppose their logic is, don't make them OP so everyone complains, make them underpowered so only monks complain. I am interested to see if there will be any changes in the upcoming patch but I won't hold my breath.

as someone who is now main monk, I would say no they aren't all that bad. But definitely it takes twice the effort to get 95% of the effectiveness of every other class as a monk. Which is an issue imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monks are pretty good in PvE atm, it's PvP they are lackluster in.

Brewmaster PvP is extremely bad, the worst of the 3 specs by far (there aren't many of them, and for good reason). Brewmasters have even less survivability than WWs in PvP, and that's sad.

WW is a bit lackluster, but they can be fixed with a few simple changes like,

Adding a glyph that makes Diffuse Magic dispel magical stuns and fears
    Changing the current Flying Serpent Kick to chase the target so that they can't side step it.
    Changing Spinning Fire Blossom to follow the target (glyph does that but takes away its most important aspect, the root), or to at least ignore pets. Using this ability on a pet class is impossible, the pets are ALWAYS behind the target and therefore this spell will ALWAYS be wasted on the pet and not the intended target.
    Last but not least, make Healing Sphere worth using. It currently costs 60 (SIXTY!) energy to summon ONE orb that heals for less than 20k. That's 60% of our resources for something that heals for about 2 DoT ticks... Either decrease it to something like 20 energy or double the healing it does.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    thanks for all the info. I think ill stick with warrior for now

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Mistweavers are decent in arena because of all their mobility
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Monks aren't over or underpowered. They're just right. Blizzard took what they learned from DK's and absolutely nailed it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by skitz0129 View Post
    Monks aren't over or underpowered. They're just right. Blizzard took what they learned from DK's and absolutely nailed it imo.
    There are some legitimate complaints, but I this is more or less my line of thought.

People are arguing that they aren't PvE viable and blah blah when I'm doing just fine.

I love the class..zero issues with my DPS and I am at 90 and I am raiding

Quote Originally Posted by skitz0129 View Post
    In PvE I would agree, in PvP I can't agree. They may not be as bad as people make it out to be but there are some issues with the class on the battlefield.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love WW PVP.

I did AV this weekend and i discovered that i could own any melee class even if they where 3 levels above me. TOK, Chi Wave, Build Tiger and heal with expel. Grapple weapon if they try to burst, then finish with FOF.

TOK is your ultimate ability in PVP IMO. Throw it on a player and watch them beat themselves to death. I works wonders with you are low on HP, and let that warrior spam execute on himself

Hunters arent much of an issue. CC the pet and use roll to stay right on them, if they burst use grapple or TOK.

Mages, SP and Locks hurt. Dispell Magic doesnt reflect the dots back to them (Bug?) and they have a million ways to root/snare/fear you. Ambush if you can.

Healers, cant build up enought pressure to kill them so cc them to hell. rotate Spear and roots/snares to drag them away from there friends.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

I've not heard anything really negative about the class at least PvE wise. A bit in PvP, but honestly everyone whines about that stuff. No one is satisfied with PvP in general.