10+ Year Old Account

Which expertise cap?

I am thoroughly confused as to which expertise cap I should be striving for. I was originally running with 7.5 and wasn't happy when I was seeing parries so I decided to reforge to 15. Now I obviously don't see those annoying parries, yet I feel like I might survive longer if I were at 7.5 with other reforges into Haste and Mastery.

I am quite confused, any help would be appreciated.

Since I cannot as of yet post links, US-Silver Hand, Zuifeng is my character.

The stats part of my guide needs an update. Nowadays the hardcap isn't really that necessary anymore. Neither is the softcap, for that matter, if I recall right. I'd need to check something to verify that, but yeah stat priorities have changed since the vengeance change.

Deleted
    Talk with your healers. Ask if they see difference in your reforges or more knowledge of your job. Communicate with the healers. Healer can tell what you want or need.

Soft-Cap is still a must at least, having Keg Smash being dodged is frustrating enough, when you get energy capped for dodge parry the next few jabs you will want to flip your keyboard. If at least they made Parry/Dodge of Keg Smash not deal damage but still provide the Chi then I can make do with not soft capping it just like DK Tanks. And if you're doing DW Brewmaster ever the more you want it to be soft capped.

Haste helps alot, Chi generation, making that Spinning Crane Kick more effective, more threat. Mastery not so much unless it also provides stagger for magic and up the % scaling per point of mastery, as it is now it is really weak. Crit is a so-so stat at least it provides us with Elusive Brew, more Threat, slightly better Tier 3 Heals and more Ox Guards on raid members.

7.5% is all you need.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

7.5% is probably all that's necessary, yes. Personally I've still got the hard cap and will keep it until I start experiencing survivability issues: the idea of a parried keg smash terrifies me, and I also absolutely hate seeing misses/dodges/parries in general.

It may not be optimal, but it works for me (until it doesn't, then I'll switch :P)

the question is - can keg smash be parried? If so I'd rather lean towards hard cap :/ I hate hitting KS and not receiving the chi.. What I found about monk tanking - is that you need to plan ahead your incoming chi. And missed KS really fucks it up :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    the question is - can keg smash be parried? If so I'd rather lean towards hard cap :/ I hate hitting KS and not receiving the chi.. What I found about monk tanking - is that you need to plan ahead your incoming chi. And missed KS really fucks it up :/
    I'm sure it can, yes. I've not received any chi from it before (even in the last 5 days), and I'm at about 8.5% expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    I'm sure it can, yes. I've not received any chi from it before (even in the last 5 days), and I'm at about 8.5% expertise.
    I just tested this on a target dummy.

I did 82 Keg Smashes, 97 Blackout Kicks. I have 7.5% expertise.

Only two Keg Smashes were parried, and on those parries I did not receive any Chi. 7 Blackout Kicks were parried, and on all the parries I received the shuffle buff.

It really seems like going above 7.5% isn't very useful, honestly, seeing as the rare loss of the 2 chi from a missed Keg Smash is probably made up tenfold by the 2500+ increased Haste or whatever stat you have going on instead of the expertise.

Hitting just 7.5% expertise also makes it extremely easy to swap to Windwalker and do big DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    The stats part of my guide needs an update. Nowadays the hardcap isn't really that necessary anymore. Neither is the softcap, for that matter, if I recall right. I'd need to check something to verify that, but yeah stat priorities have changed since the vengeance change.

Come on now...we both know it was just wrong from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmer View Post
    I just tested this on a target dummy.

I did 82 Keg Smashes, 97 Blackout Kicks. I have 7.5% expertise.

Only two Keg Smashes were parried, and on those parries I did not receive any Chi. 7 Blackout Kicks were parried, and on all the parries I received the shuffle buff.

It really seems like going above 7.5% isn't very useful, honestly, seeing as the rare loss of the 2 chi from a missed Keg Smash is probably made up tenfold by the 2500+ increased Haste or whatever stat you have going on instead of the expertise.

Hitting just 7.5% expertise also makes it extremely easy to swap to Windwalker and do big DPS.

Exactly.

Going from 2550 exp to 2550 haste yields +6% haste +1 chi and only costs you about 1/2 a healing orb per minute.
    (Thats right, you gain Chi, not lose it, by using haste over exp!)

Its a no brainer really....
    Last edited by morbidjbyrd; 2012-10-24 at 02:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most current version of the spreadsheet is having hit and exp below haste and crit for all but the miniscule amounts. Playing with my gems, enchants, and reforges I got below 4% for each and it was still telling me haste and crit were better. I have tanked with that low amount and it's noticeable yes...but what is also noticeable is the large increase in elusive brew procs and how even if I miss a keg smash I don't get wtf trucked b/c I have the energy regen to get a jab in there twice to make up for it. Yes the once in a blue moon event where missed keg smash = death is what everyone talks about...but it really isn't as likely to happen that way as you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    -Snip-
    Maybe it's just me but I already have the Chi from KS spent in my mind before it even comes off CD, don't think I could live with opening it up to a miss or dodge.

I agree that going above 7.5% expertise seems like a waste right now considering all the other places those points could go.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.