Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Having fun with MoP?

I quit after killing H Madness at the beginning of the year. How is the raiding aspect in MoP? Is it fun overall? How does it compare to Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, having a lot of fun. IMO much better than Cata.

Deleted
    Don't scold me for this but I think it's as follows:
    - Objectively speaking much better than Cata
    - Objectively speaking on par with WotLK (Ulduar and ICC that is, much better than the rest)
    - In my opinion equal to BC and better than Classic

Tons of fun. I'm a completionist so I have way too much to do. The D's are exactly what I was hoping for, nice and fast. Raiding is drastically better then Cata and any down time you have and looking for something to do you have dailies to fill in that void.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

10+ Year Old Account
    If you loved BC as much as I did, then yes, MoP is the best thing since sliced bread. ^_^

Played a bit BC, and lot of WOTLK-Cata, and I can say that Mist of Pandaria is really nice. Grinding dailies and stuff to get your valor cap is cool

Deleted
    I am in the exact same boat as OP and I hear MoP is pretty good. Some (like they have in here) equal if not better than BC.

However, the good things I hear about are normally the sheer amount of things to do. When asking for specifics I normally hear about daily quest grinding, challenge modes, a decent questing design to get to 90 and/or pet battles.

I cant speak for OP on this, but personally that doesn't really sell it to me. I *was* a fairly hardcore raider. I am part of the old school WoW players from vanilla that enjoyed the non handholding nonsense of Cata, the "shit, lads, we better get it together if we are gonna down this boss" attitude of TBC and the slightly slower, but imo more rewarding experience of a progressive raiding design as opposed to the linear difficulty or heavily gated design we see today.

I have a friend who I speak to regularly who still plays and he just reels off a conversation about pet battles, questing and some lore I am completely unfamilar with...I zone out out of boredom if im honest.

Honestly, is there enough in MoP to cater for the endgame players? Not the casuals or the bad players but the minority of players who are happy and willing to raid most evenings, dedicate a larger than normal amount of time and read elitistjerk type websites regularly to be the best they can? Im not having a go its a genuine question that I have not really seen answered yet.
    Last edited by mmoc1b66f0e7ec; 2012-10-25 at 12:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    I quit after killing H Madness at the beginning of the year. How is the raiding aspect in MoP? Is it fun overall? How does it compare to Cataclysm.
    Raiding is harder than in Cata. Many guilds were stuck on 4/6 normal in the first ID.

But it's a lot of fun, and clearing normal mode the first week had us nerd-screaming as though we had cleared the place on heroic mode because we could access heroic modes the following ID, and not all that many people could. Very exciting.

The encounter design is way more intricately done than it was in Cata. Much more stuff to watch out for. The dungeons are nicely designed as well. Eye candy - if you can take your time to appreciate that sort of thing.

I haven't had that much fun bashing my head against an encounter in a long time.

Seriously, the difficulty level this expansion has started out with is very respectable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    Don't scold me for this but I think it's as follows:
    - Objectively speaking much better than Cata
    - Objectively speaking on par with WotLK (Ulduar and ICC that is, much better than the rest)
    - In my opinion equal to BC and better than Classic
    You say objectively but you mean subjectively.

If you like filler content, there's plenty of that. The questing experience was forgettable -- all zones were equally bland. The Asian theme is tiresome. The heroics have been dumbed down to wotlk levels. It was no problem to tank them right after hitting 90 in majority quest greens. Early expansion gear progression is no longer tied to running heroics -- instead, you need to do daily quests to grind out faction reps, or gear up through PvP. I decided to do neither, and now my gear is pretty much gated til I can get carried through raids. It doesn't feel good to be unable to carry your own weight, but the alternative is to do content that isn't fun. Why anyone would voluntarily do daily quests is beyond me.

On the other hand, raiding content seems to be providing a decent challenge. Only the top 10 guilds (roughly) were able to clear the available content within the first week. This raid tier is on a staggered release schedule, and most guilds will not have cleared the heroic content before the next zone is released.

15+ Year Old Account
    Both alot of fun and pain. leveling 88-90 and dailies is no fun >_< Rest is pretty nice though.

Best expansion yet, really. Loads to do for months on end, and if Mogu'shan Vaults is any indication then the raids are pretty damn solid. Hopefully HoF and ToES keep up the trend.

Definitely worth a play, IMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    Raiding is harder than in Cata. Many guilds were stuck on 4/6 normal in the first ID.

But it's a lot of fun, and clearing normal mode the first week had us nerd-screaming as though we had cleared the place on heroic mode because we could access heroic modes the following ID, and not all that many people could. Very exciting.

The encounter design is way more intricately done than it was in Cata. Much more stuff to watch out for. The dungeons are nicely designed as well. Eye candy - if you can take your time to appreciate that sort of thing.

I haven't had that much fun bashing my head against an encounter in a long time.

Seriously, the difficulty level this expansion has started out with is very respectable.
    This pretty much hits the nail right on the head

I have been during TBC days a very hardcore player, raiding daily, was part of the best guild on the server with a total of 30 very active members.
    Due to lack of time i can't play at that level anymore .
    About MoP:
    - raids difficulty seems fair, a few new mechanics
    - heroics are a joke, as someone else said before me you can faceroll them in questing gear after hitting lvl 90, very dissapointing
    - scenarios seemed fun first 1-2 but the rewards are pretty useless ( got absolutely no item after 8 runs just 28 gold and some silver)
    - challenge mode are pretty good, the difficulty is decent
    - the dailies system= the most stupid thing in this expansion really i mean ok i leveled to 90 i've seen the content, i don't need to do endless amount of dailies for months to get some dumb rep up with some random faction i don't care about in order to get some pre raiding gear going. I simply hate doing dailies especially on my server where at the times i usually play there are alot of people doing exact same quests so you either run around 10 minutes for a mob or you get ganked by allies and bail, really no fun at all.
    Players would rather just get that conquest cap and gear thru pvp gear, a valid option considering now pvp items have 2 secondary stats.
    Pet battles seem fun but after you hit max level with a few pets you lose interest, the strongest pets are those from events,collector packs and blizz store.

Blizzard is trying to force players out in the world without giving them the alternative not to - you must do dailies to gain rep and get items, you must farm mobs like a brainless zombie to farm stupid motes of harmony for your profession and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by groparu View Post
    - heroics are a joke, as someone else said before me you can faceroll them in questing gear after hitting lvl 90, very dissapointing
    Heroics in MoP are supposed to mirror regular 5-mans from Cata, TBC, or WotLK, which could all be done in quest gear. So the difficulty is properly tuned. Didn't you notice that there are no regular lvl 90 dungeons? That is why. So don't expect heroics in MoP = heroics of any other expansion. They are not supposed to. Blizz has stated this many times.

Challenge Modes are the new "heroics". Just a different label.

imho - MoP is pretty fun. And I don't do dailies, and am having a blast raiding. I never really did dailies for any expansion since they are not really needed.
    Last edited by yjmark; 2012-10-25 at 01:34 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    If you like filler content, there's plenty of that. The questing experience was forgettable -- all zones were equally bland. The Asian theme is tiresome. The heroics have been dumbed down to wotlk levels. It was no problem to tank them right after hitting 90 in majority quest greens. Early expansion gear progression is no longer tied to running heroics -- instead, you need to do daily quests to grind out faction reps, or gear up through PvP. I decided to do neither, and now my gear is pretty much gated til I can get carried through raids. It doesn't feel good to be unable to carry your own weight, but the alternative is to do content that isn't fun. Why anyone would voluntarily do daily quests is beyond me.

On the other hand, raiding content seems to be providing a decent challenge. Only the top 10 guilds (roughly) were able to clear the available content within the first week. This raid tier is on a staggered release schedule, and most guilds will not have cleared the heroic content before the next zone is released.
    No offense, but are you playing the same game as everyone else?

You may not like the Asian theme, but the zones are far from bland. Heroics are easy, yes, but that's how Blizz wanted it because there are now challenge modes if you want to up the difficulty. I don't know where you get the idea that gear progression isn't tied to heroics -- at least partially. Sure, I and many others have the crafted items via Golden Lotus rep and with that, at least a ring or whatever. However, the majority of my gear is from heroics. I even managed 1-2 items from scenarios. I'd bet the same for anyone else, unless they're well into raiding, in which case they would be geared better than most. The idea is that you don't need to do the rep grind for gear upgrades. If you don't want to do heroics, grind dailies for rep, or PvP for gear, or even mess around in LFR, then yeah... you're going to hit a brick wall because you've eliminated most major pathways to gear progression. If you're raiding, then you'll get better gear that way. I don't really see how there's a problem.

At present, I can either grind rep or wait until my guild starts raiding, as we're off to a slow start with respect to raids. I'm also enjoying alt leveling.

It sounds like you're frustrated, which isn't the goal of playing any game. Maybe it's time to move on if you no longer find it fun?

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP is ok so far, as long as you do not play alt's anyway. That's a nightmare so far to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post

imho - MoP is pretty fun. And I don't do dailies, and am having a blast raiding. I never really did dailies for any expansion since they are not really needed.
    I was trying to illustrate the state of this expansion from a more casual point of view, so the alternatives to gear from repwith factions are what, heroic blues?ok you can get full gear in no time, raid finder? yea 70% of the time you get that awesome bag with 28g in it and if you want a chance for more loot drop in a gold coin( but you have to do dailies again for that).

So my alternatives are either conquest points pvp gear or raiding with a guild; first part can be done easy, second part.... I decided I'm not going to go thru the 2-4 raiding days with 4-5 hours of raiding and having to listen some random people over some voice chat program.
    I want to login the game and have fun with 1-2 friends also having the feeling of progression gear wise ,I prefered that rep via tabard grind, I'd rather do a few heroics a day when i get back from work, get some rep also and some achievements towards the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    MoP is ok so far, as long as you do not play alt's anyway. That's a nightmare so far to be honest.
    Got my alt DK to level 90 this week, taking it casually with her. Yeah, sure, if you want to maximise everything with all your alts then that just isn't going to work, but you're still perfectly able to play alts if it's what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by groparu View Post
    I was trying to illustrate the state of this expansion from a more casual point of view, so the alternatives to gear from repwith factions are what, heroic blues?ok you can get full gear in no time, raid finder? yea 70% of the time you get that awesome bag with 28g in it and if you want a chance for more loot drop in a gold coin( but you have to do dailies again for that).

So my alternatives are either conquest points pvp gear or raiding with a guild; first part can be done easy, second part.... I decided I'm not going to go thru the 2-4 raiding days with 4-5 hours of raiding and having to listen some random people over some voice chat program.
    I want to login the game and have fun with 1-2 friends also having the feeling of progression gear wise ,I prefered that rep via tabard grind, I'd rather do a few heroics a day when i get back from work, get some rep also and some achievements towards the mount.
    That is your choice of playstyle and that is fine. Blizz made the new system so people don't get raid geared in 2 weeks without having to raid at all. If you enjoy dailies, then do them. If you don't like dailies, you don't have to do them. And to raid, you do not need full heroic gear, then full LFR gear. You only need a couple of heroic pieces, some crafted if you want, we just had Brewfest for ilvl 370 trinkets, HH is out now for rings, and then maybe 1 or 2 crafted pieces to get you able to LFR. Casual folks do NOT need to do any dailies for anything (unless they really want a mount or something).

You also do NOT need to raid endless hours with a guild every week.