Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Herald of the Titans - Brewmaster

Since I already had every class at 85 before my guild decided to do Herald, I'm now gearing up a Monk to tank for it. What thoughts do you all have on how I should be gearing? I know the level 90 stat priorities, but I'm not sure if they still hold true at 80. I know traditional Herald thinking is to stack Mastery for most classes, but since it's so weak for Brewmasters I'm thinking that's a poor choice. Are there any key abilities that I won't have that will change my stat weights at all?

One thing I haven't found information on is, how important is weapon speed when choosing them? There are some faster Agility weapons available to me, but I don't want to use them if it will hurt my damage.

Thanks for any input/help.

10+ Year Old Account
    The scaling is really weird at 80 but none of your gear will have Mastery on it anyways so it's really more of a matter of scaling. I think the interesting thing to look at is what your haste will be at 80. You may easily reach the current theorized "soft cap" of haste which means you could then decide if you want to dump everything into crit or mastery.

Just gather agil DPS gear and at 80 play around with your reforging and gemming options. FYI I've done Herald on both a mage and druid(healz).
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

it does not mater what you stack or what you do. herald is so easy now that when i did it tank didnt have 3 slots equiped and we got it

Yeah, it honestly won't matter how you gear, gem, etc. I did it a few months ago on my priest and solo healed it with 3 arcane mages bursting almost 30k at 80 and 2 tanks in dps gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatshoes24 View Post
    Yeah, it honestly won't matter how you gear, gem, etc. I did it a few months ago on my priest and solo healed it with 3 arcane mages bursting almost 30k at 80 and 2 tanks in dps gear.
    Arcane mages are amazing for this fight (first kill was as one), all you do is push 1 and occasionally blink out of bad swirlies and you top the meters =P My mage in her Cata gear was an even bigger wrecking ball.

Maybe it was just me but gearing up and maxing out each char for the fight was as much fun as getting the title. I'd be curious to see what a well geared 80 BrM's stats look like (even crazier if you take the time to farm the Cata greens/blues).
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Well that's reassuring. I guess I'll gear for maximum DPS and just let my healers keep me up.

Any thoughts on weapon speed? I know it "doesn't matter" how I gear, but I'd still like to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulski View Post
    Well that's reassuring. I guess I'll gear for maximum DPS and just let my healers keep me up.
    BrM and WW actually gear exactly the same so you'll do that by default, outside of Meta gem they also reforge and gem the same as well. I'm using two "DPS" trinkets as well.

I would just say use the best of which ever 232 weapons you have. If you manage to take the time and run WotlK heroics to get a 2H vs DW set your welcome to run some tests. Most of the DW vs 2H discussion is centered around how fast your elusive brew stacks build which also heavily depend on your haste/crit levels.

EB stacks are scaled down/up based on weapon speed so in theory they are balanced. Doubt anyones tested at 80 though so your welcome to do so.
    [/URL]

15+ Year Old Account
    Just don't forget to turn off EXP gain at Level 80, incase it takes to long to gather the gear so you don't push to Level 81 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Just don't forget to turn off EXP gain at Level 80, incase it takes to long to gather the gear so you don't push to Level 81 :P
    With how fast I got to 80 (34:27) that was pretty near the first thing I did when I hit 80.

Currently I have a 232 (2.6)/213 (2.5) DW setup and a 219 Polearm, but I only just hit 80 last night. I still have a fair bit of gear to replace.

http://chardev.org/profile/28352-herald.html

This was my original idea. I was told my HP was going to be way too low, so I was going to change the wrist enchant from agility to stam. Any thought suggestions from any of you?

Also, I plan to DW, but chardev doesn't support DW for monks sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have a lot of crit so if you feel like you need stats elsewhere. Haste is probably a bit low if you want to keep up Shuffle/Guard + Purify a lot. Also, without checking how it scales you might play with forging into some mastery, at 80 I'm not sure if this would result in a over-tuned increase to your shuffle %. Algalon his fast and furious so if it does boost your mastery % efficiently it could be worth it.

I use the stam LW enchant for progression fights so it's a good way to boost your HP a bit and can easily be swapped out anyways.
    [/URL]

I was thinking, high crit = high EB uptime. I take it there's a point where too much becomes wasted?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really. You can always pile on more crit and win (unless the numbers are silly enough at 80 that you actually approach the otherwise-unattainable hard cap).

With regards to weapon speed, it doesn't matter at all. Monk attacks are normalised through the average DPS of the weapons you have equipped (rather than a percentage of weapon damage), so the actual weapon speed itself is irrelevant.

Basically, the general idea is to find the highest ilvl weapon you can. Theoretically, a 226 2hander and 226 1-handers should produce results so similar you would barely notice (apart from your EB either flowing in fast, small stacks or slower, larger chunks).

With what you've said you had, go with the 1handers as they have a higher average ilvl than the polearm.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shotz View Post
    I was thinking, high crit = high EB uptime. I take it there's a point where too much becomes wasted?
    High crit is great I have 11.5k rating into my crit value, but at your current % raid buffed you may find yourself wasting EB stacks especially since it's a tank swap and you'll be coming into the round with 15 stacks fully saved.

Just saying you might have room to put some points elsewhere and mastery may scale in a way that gives you a crazy % boost to shuffle for a small cost compared to lvl 90 (960 rating per 1%).
    [/URL]

I tried this and it ended up being relatively rough. I geared the way a 90 would and got shredded. Still wasn't too difficult in the end, but if I went back and redid it I would gear pure EH. Stack mastery through the roof via reforge and spam Stam.

Deleted
    The hard part is getting 9 others to do it :-) Although with cross realm that may be easier now than when I did it. Also back in cataclysm disc priests reforging everything to mastery were OP. Those shields were indestructable. No idea if that changed though.

Deleted
    May I ask why you are stacking agi so heavily?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    Arcane mages are amazing for this fight (first kill was as one), all you do is push 1 and occasionally blink out of bad swirlies and you top the meters =P My mage in her Cata gear was an even bigger wrecking ball.

Maybe it was just me but gearing up and maxing out each char for the fight was as much fun as getting the title. I'd be curious to see what a well geared 80 BrM's stats look like (even crazier if you take the time to farm the Cata greens/blues).
    Since I've thought about doing this with a toon at some point I was curious what Cataclysm gear can be used? Only thing I found was gear that was 232 and Weapons that were 232 and the only weapons I found that were worth using was the ones with mastery. To my knowledge isn't it 226 gear and 232 weapon? Mainly curious as to see if there was something I missed, basically did a filter for ilvl 200-232 gear that was added in Cata: http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=...rs=4;crv=0#0-2

Quote Originally Posted by nerfmagesffs View Post
    May I ask why you are stacking agi so heavily?
    Agility gives him damage, crit (for elusive brew) and dodge which makes perfect sense. Only other thing that would give him that big of a benefit would be Stamina as I don't see haste gemming being that much of a gain over the inflated stats at that level.

But isn't a Herald of the Titan twink limited to Ulduar gear? You can't use MoP 409 mastery gear for those (else this is not Herald of the Titans anymore, but Faceroll for the Titans ^^)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Since I've thought about doing this with a toon at some point I was curious what Cataclysm gear can be used?
    As you mentioned only 226 gear + 232 weapons. Don't think of mastery as a "bad" stat just think of Haste/Crit being better.

You can also use any enchants, elixirs, flasks, and tradeskill enchants you can get away with level wise. FYI the higher level LW enchants didn't work for my rogue friend but my mage was using Cata tailoring and enchanting buffs so it's hit or miss there. Think Alchemy + Herbalism worked for my druid but you can still only use the right ilevel trinket.
    [/URL]