15+ Year Old Account

[VIDEO] HEROIC Elegon - Brewmaster Monk PoV - Zumzar

Hi MMO Champion,

First of all, I hope it is alright I post these kind of posts outside of the pinned video thread. I did this on the Mage forum (when I was playing Mage, and had great success with it) This thread is meant to be a guide/discussion for how to play on H: Elegon as a Brewmaster Tank. If any of you have comments, ideas or anything else of relevance, make sure you reply to the thread. Including anything I should've done differently in the video, as I'm always trying to improve.

Vent is always included in my videos, so other players can use the videos for tactical guidance as well, as well call out a lot of shit on Vent mid-fight.

This is our first kill of HEROIC Elegon (10-man) as a guild.

LINK TO THE VIDEO: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1150838-Monk-PoV-Videos?p=18926630&viewfull=1#post1892663

Guild: The Machine of Sylvanas-EU (Horde).

Kill date: 29th of October, 2012.

PoV: Zumzar - Brewmaster Monk. Armory at http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rchan/advanced

We used 2 tanks, 2 healers and 6 dps for this.

Before we pull the boss I use Transcendence, so I can quickly get out to reset my stacks. You see me doing this @ 00:40. This is a good way to get some extra dps in on the boss, instead of standing outside waiting for the first add to spawn.

Tanking this boss is pretty simple. Every time an add spawns, whoever is tanking the boss at that time taunts the add and the OT takes over on tanking Elegon. As a Monk you wanna make sure you have CDs up most of the time when tanking Elegon, as he hits rather hard. Make sure you remove your Stagger often. When tanking the adds I tried to move them outside at around ~30 % hp, as that seemed to work for avoiding ticks inside. If you're assigned to soaking an explosion outside, you can use Zen Meditation. Works brilliantly.

In phase 2 (the draw power phase) we were aiming for 5 sets of adds, before letting them go through. Monks are brilliant on this as Touch of Death is great for killing one add on the 5th wave. Since not being able to kill adds was wiping us a lot, I tried to make sure I had full energy every time the adds spawned and saving Keg Smash for the adds. In the fifth wave of adds, I soloed one with Touch of Death as you can see @ 02:56 and again @ 06:47. In the first transition phase (could might as well have been the second) I use Transition outside the circle (see 03:18) so I can quickly reset my stacks in the last phase of the fight. You see me using this @ 08:38.

In the transition phases with the pillars, other than dps'ing pillars, I try to throw Dizzying Haze at the adds, so they don't go on the Healers and rape their faces. They hit like trucks, so you can't tank them. As these adds are being brought inside to be AoE'd down, I utilize Leg Sweep to stun them, followed by a Keg Smash and a Breath of Fire. See 08:10.

In the last phase, I start as off tank and taunt the boss as soon as the Warrior tank goes to reset his stacks. When he is back and has taunted, I use the Transcendence I put down in P2 and Transfer outside for a quick reset. And yes, it seems like I forgot to use Elusive Brew and Fortifying Brew in the last phase, gg, but they should obviously be used to reduce dmg taken in the last phase. When offtanking, try and use Avert Harm to help on the raid damage.

Ventrilo: Yes, for the entire fight.

WoL from the kill: WoL LINK

My UI in 1920x1080 (Updated 21st of October, 2012):
    http://the-machine.dk/wp-content/upl...1080_5.0.5.zip

If you're interessted in learning more about my UI, see this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...v1-0-by-Zumzar

Songs: The songs are listed at the end credits, in order of appearance.

www.the-machine.dk

Best regards
    Zumzar
    Last edited by Zumzar; 2012-10-31 at 02:03 AM. Reason: UI thread update
    My Character: Zumzar
    My Guild: www.machinewow.dk - 3 days-a-week raiding guild - 2/7 on Mythic in Highmaul
    My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ZumzarWoW

Dieses Video ist in meinem Land nicht verfügbar.....

Deleted
    isnt there a sticky thread for monk povs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by siccora View Post
    Please remember to not post in languages other than English, thank you.
    Last edited by Malthanis; 2012-10-30 at 04:01 PM.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by siccora View Post
    Same for me. You gotta love the GEMA over here.

Still grats on the kill

Wasn't this closed already?

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post
    Wasn't this closed already?
    It was originally yes, but I talked to the moderator and he allowed me to make these threads in the future. The purpose of the thread is not to spread the word about my video. I've been making these threads on the Mage forums for ages, and the Mage community seemed to get a really good discussion out of it, in regards to how you could improve as a Mage on specific encounter.

The video is just meant to be used as a basis for the discussion, so people can see the points I'm making in the thread.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 01:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Perteron View Post
    Same for me. You gotta love the GEMA over here.

Still grats on the kill
    Yeah, I'm sorry about that German block. I cba re-uploading with different (or no music). There must be some way german users can avoid that block, is there not?

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 02:00 AM ----------

Copy-pasting this in here from the video thread, so you guys can look at it as well:

Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post
    Zumzar - Why do you do 5 and 4 for sphere phases and reset stacks every sphere? 4/4 is plenty and you could spend more time on the boss. It also allows you to cycle through the healing cooldowns at the end easier because the boss is lower.

You don't need to reset stacks so much, and you clearly shouldn't reset stacks after you kill the last one because after the next wave hits you are running out anyway. I noticed you were half and half Keg Smashing the spheres when they come out, but shoot for 100%.

Why are your tanks not soaking the total annihilation from the protectors? Specifically you I guess with Diffuse Magic. You are already outside the platform, might as well wait the 3-4 secs for the annihilation to go off, then run in and taunt boss. Saves healer/dps from having to soak and spend more time doing what they should be doing.

Cosmic Sparks - You are slowing them well, but when you get them grouped up and they are stunned, Keg Smash, BoF, and spinning crane kick their asses. Throw in a leg sweep for good measure. They die insanely fast then.

Just some tips to help you guys improve.
    Thanks for the tips, Gynshon. It was my first night on Elegon hc, so I literally just reset every time to make sure. I've seen vids (since then) where people very rarely reset. I'll try it next time. We did 5/4, cause we were having issues with the nuke phase being too long. With the right raid setup, we'd do 4/4 though.

In regards to Keg Smashing the spheres, yeah I wanted to at least get Keg Smash up for the spheres we had issues killing, but like you said - it makes no sense to not save it for every wave of Spheres.

We had a couple of tries where tanks were soaking annhiliation. We can also soak with Zen Meditation btw. I wasn't questioning the calls being made by our raid leader, but I'll tell him next time. I was raidleading last expansion, but I really don't have time to prepare extensively for encounters these days. The only point I can make is that we were ahead on DPS, so dps soaking annihilations didn't really make any difference.

In regards to Cosmic Sparks. What you're saying is obviously what I was aiming for, but I had a couple of tries where I just got hammered when I went in to stun, due to having aggro on ~5 adds or so. Even though our Mistweaver Monk was also using Leg Sweep, it still seemed like some wasn't getting stunned (fking 5yd radius). I didn't dare to Crane Kick while having aggro on mobs on the kill attempt. I only did Keg Smash and BoF. If you look closely at the video, you can see me getting trucked after using Keg Smash and BoF, so I decided to move out instead of using Crane Kick. We had a try (which would've been a kill if I didn't happen) where I died in 0.7 sec while Crane Kicking and eventually resulted in a wipe, cause CR had already been used.

By the way, just reply in the thread I made for the purpose. I talked to a forum moderator about it and it's fine.
    Last edited by Zumzar; 2012-10-31 at 02:05 AM.
    My Guild: www.machinewow.dk - 3 days-a-week raiding guild - 2/7 on Mythic in Highmaul

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    Please remember to not post in languages other than English, thank you.
    i loled at this, like really?

Great thread, my guild has been having some issues with cosmic sparks and other stuff and it has given me some good ideas.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Discostu View Post
    Great thread, my guild has been having some issues with cosmic sparks and other stuff and it has given me some good ideas.
    I'm glad they're able to help. I'll keep posting threads like this for our future HC kills. Everything I fraps basically, which is a little on/off these days I'm afraid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    i loled at this, like really?
    Yes, really.

General posting guidelines
    • Only post in English. As English is not everyone's native language, we ask you to not correct other people's posts unless you are asked to. Do not quote dictionary entries for the sake of arguing. Don't be the grammar police.
    Now, I don't want to derail any further, so if you have any other rules questions, feel free to PM me.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!