Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled one WW to 60 but he's gathering dust for 2 weeks now. I thought they'd be more smashing buttons non-stop like street fighter and the like, but i'm usually energy starved. It may change with better gear, but i'm really focusing on my paladin ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    you did indeed, this is a forum for opinions By your sarcasm im guessing you dont belive the op should be free to post his, care to explain why?
    Guy said he has never played a monk, but they are under-represented in arenas according to a website, then says they are boring.

Did you even read what he posted?

Deleted
    I don't find them interesting mostly because they don't have any ranged spec (aside from healing). Never been a fan of melee dps, and have no interest in tanking a raid, nor healing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Windwalker single target is actually up there in terms of complexity when compared to other classes so no, not really. Aoe is admittedly just a bad joke in terms of SPINNING CRANE KICK WHEEEEEEEE, though.
    Yea the aoe need some work, but spamming SCK until you're sick won't make you top the dps meter. You still need to keep Tiger Power stacks and RSK debuff, and casting FoF whenever it's available. And keep enough energy to do make you sick by spamming SPINNING CRANE KICK WHEEEEEEEE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    you did indeed, this is a forum for opinions By your sarcasm im guessing you dont belive the op should be free to post his, care to explain why?
    The thing is the forum rules are that those opinions are supposed to be involved in creating threads that have the purpose of constructive discussion. This thread really doesn't. The OP seems to have made the thread just to tell others that he doesn't like monks, not to discuss them. It'd be like me making a thread saying "I don't like warriors, how about you?".

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    I uh. Really? Really? You honestly believe that? Wow. I can understand saying they're boring, or dull, or uninteresting, as that's purely subjective. But 'easiest class by far'? You really need to play more of the classes. They're one of the more challenging classes to play at a high level.

As for the OP, I doubt you're the only one. As I said above it's purely subjective, so it's fine if you don't like playing them. I'll carry on loving my Brewmaster and having the most fun I've had in WoW in a looooooong time.

Oh, and yeah of course they're going to be least represented. Most people will have stuck with their old class from Cataclysm. :P

That's because most players think you jab jab jab then use spinning crane kick and that's it. That is pretty much all I see in randoms leveling up and usually pull 2-3x their DPS in similar heirloom gear. I wouldn't say Monks are as bad as DKs were but there are a lot of abilities to use depending on your situations and if you don't understand when or how to use them properly you won't do well. That is the main reason you see threads like this with posts saying they are middle of the road. We have in our other raid group a Monk healer, tank and DPS, and all 3 out shine their counterparts because they understand the mechanics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karheim View Post
    I haven't tried healing yet but I'm intending on doing that next time we have an off night from raiding, the two different techniques for healing - fistweaving and 'mana' healing look intersetingto compare.
    What will set the really good monk healers apart from the average ones is realizing that its not either or. I see people claiming they are fist weavers and others saying they are mana healers. Neither of them are playing their class in an optimal way. You play each style according to the needs of the fight. That means you may change style from phase to phase on the same boss, or even within a phase.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Windwalker single target is actually up there in terms of complexity when compared to other classes so no, not really. Aoe is admittedly just a bad joke in terms of SPINNING CRANE KICK WHEEEEEEEE, though.
    Depending on how long your targets will live (longer in raids) it may be a bit more complex since over time keeping both your damage buff (TP) and debuff (MW) up is a dps increase. Don't know what the sims say, but it's what I see myself. And you cant really do something wrong spamming one spell, so the increase is real

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    They're the easiest class to play by far so that makes them uninteresting to the majority of players, yes.
    Yeah, that's not even a little bit true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    Yea the aoe need some work, but spamming SCK until you're sick won't make you top the dps meter. You still need to keep Tiger Power stacks and RSK debuff, and casting FoF whenever it's available. And keep enough energy to do make you sick by spamming SPINNING CRANE KICK WHEEEEEEEE
    The frequency at which you can spam it is the problem. It makes aoe feel dumbed down and boring. A few globals you're spending your time doing other things but as for the rest of the time...see above. Don't forget fists of fury btw.
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    I also find them quite boring tbh

Basically rogue v2.0 without stealth

Quote Originally Posted by aeser View Post
    I don't know what it is about them, they just seem boring as hell to me. They are the worst represented class in arenas too http://www.crossladder.com/arena/stats/. I don't know a whole lot about them but their heals seem weak, they seem like maybe ok tanks? and I know basically nothing about their dps.
    "They are boring. I don't know, they're are boring. I don't know anything about monks, but they are boring"

You don't even know the class, why you're saying they're boring? Try to understand how the class works or play with it before make any assumption.

I'm having so much fun being a Brewmaster Monk in my raid group. In my opinion, the funniest class to play with.

Let me just check, hmm, still looks like less than 100% of the playerbase plays monk

I really can't speak to low level play on monks since I RaF granted levels to 80 on release but all classes are boring to play at low levels. I think they didn't balance getting abilities very well for monks so you are left without core abilities until high levels. Monk healing from what I've heard is really the only decent PvP spec.

For PvE, DPS monks at level 90 are interesting but the rotation is fairly easy. Tank and Healing monks are quite difficult to master and personally I think they are a blast to play at 90. Also monk healing is beast mode for raids healing, but a weak for tank heals. I wouldn't really call that weak though I suppose for PvP single target is more important.

I hate leveling and probably never would have gotten to 90 without RaF because low level any class is always crap.
    Last edited by dkdk; 2012-10-31 at 03:33 PM.

They don't interest me either, in the slightest. Neither do pandas really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aeser View Post
    I don't know what it is about them, they just seem boring as hell to me. They are the worst represented class in arenas too http://www.crossladder.com/arena/stats/. I don't know a whole lot about them but their heals seem weak, they seem like maybe ok tanks? and I know basically nothing about their dps.
    Most fun character (I play BrM) I've played in WoW. I do 0% PVP though so your mileage may vary. Also, my opinion is better than yours =P
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    They're the easiest class to play by far so that makes them uninteresting to the majority of players, yes.
    Don't know about heal and dps but brewmaster is nowhere near "easy" to play well.

AS for the "boring" aspect? I didn't play since wotlk and mop and the monk class had me addicted again, I really enjoy tanking as a Monk.
    Last edited by mmocea421df7df; 2012-10-31 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelreth View Post
    Guy said he has never played a monk, but they are under-represented in arenas according to a website, then says they are boring.

Did you even read what he posted?
    i have played a monk, hence finding them boring, i did not level one to 90 and have not run anything with many monks yet (handful of monk tanks and healers, almost no dps) thus i said i don't know that much about them as in i haven't played one myself at 90.

my point was there is no interesting aspect about them to me, a personal opinion, so i was asking if anyone else experienced the same thing.

compare the launch of monks to the launch of deathknights, who were instantly the best dps in pvp and awesome pve dps and tanks and everyone and their nephew had one, to monks, which seem rather underwhelming, and it makes me wonder why they even made them.

what i don't understand is you getting butthurt by my opinion. if you like them, great! guess this thread isn't for you then is it?

I only leveled a pandaren monk to see the starting zone, I've yet to level him further from beyond that turtle island. Planning to make him a tank. But so far, they were indeed kinda boring. I leveled a panda monk with a friend, and we both said that they looked too much like rogue's without stealth.

I have absolutely no desire to ever play a Monk. The class mechanics seem interesting, but I never touch the healing classes. I found the DK to be much more interesting when they came out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noladrew View Post
    The game in whole is pretty boring at end game. Competitive PvE more or less forces you into doing mindless amounts of dailies this tier to keep up. Might as well be World of Dailycraft. I know I'm not saying anything that hasn't been brought up before, but with the game being so redundant, I think I can afford to be just as redundant =P.
    Yeah, that's why world first heroic kills in MSV was when you possibly had only 1 valor item.