Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I've never agreed with rewarding losers, in-game and in real life. Doing so makes people think it is acceptable to come second. It isn't. You're either first, or you're a nobody!
    Suppose only the highest ranked team on each server had access to conquest weapons or titles, and all the other competitors got nothing.

What you're doing is confusing a game that people play for fun with a career that people pursue for a living.

I've never agreed with rewarding losers, in-game and in real life. Doing so makes people think it is acceptable to come second. It isn't. You're either first, or you're a nobody!

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 07:19 PM ----------

You know you just described Raiding (10 man particularly) perfectly, right?
    I noticed that too, its really not that difficult if you look around you and see there are a good amount of competent players, or people with enough potential to get to a point of being competent.

@Hardcoder - So because the effort of getting 10 people together, they should be rewarded for attempting the boss, right?

So being 95% just when the enemy gets to 100% is losing and not deserving ANYTHING. I guess silver olympic medals are for losers, too.

All of you must be very succesful people in real life!

Also, I'm not sure PvE and PvP can be compared in this context. Losing by a few points in PvP means the other team is slightly better (or better geared) than you. Not being able to kill the boss means you don't accomplish the MINUMUM requisites to kill it. Bosses are designed to die, other players are not.

Quote Originally Posted by StaeleAilar View Post
    i Tried RBG's once or twice. But the matchmaking sucked ass. It was a team of brand new to RBG people against a team like 1000 rating higher than us. It wasn't fun and i basically pretend the thing doesn't exist anymore because of it.
    Not to mention the fact that small teams on bg's that are meant for a ton of people are b.o.r.i.n.g., to the point of being completely uninteresting.

Rated bg's should have been implemented entirely differently, but that ship has sailed already.

A completely absurd complaint for the pure sake of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a decent change, too many times I've been dragged down by keyboard warriors who just insult people in BG's and don't do anything, at least now I can get more for getting the team extra points.

Quote Originally Posted by Elves4everr View Post
    I agree completely with you. If you win, you get rewarded. If you don't, then too bad; try to improve your gameplay and find a better team next time.
    WSG/TP disagree with you! In a game where tie=/=tie, I am never surprised at idiotic rules being added anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see rewarding a little honor as being some major thing, people are worth like 10 honor points if you gank the hell out of them in world pvp - honor is essentially like being given 3 gold for a quest reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    So being 95% just when the enemy gets to 100% is losing and not deserving ANYTHING. I guess silver olympic medals are for losers, too.

Also, I'm not sure PvE and PvP can be compared in this context. Losing by a few points in PvP means the other team is slightly better (or better geared) than you. Not being able to kill the boss means you don't accomplish the MINUMUM requisites to kill it. Bosses are designed to die, other players are not.
    I like this post a lot.

Frankly, I'd rather be involved in nothing but these kinds of really-close loses than nothing but blow-out victories. :shrugs: Then again, isn't the whole point of MMR to "ensure" that "most" games are 'nail-biters'?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    I know there are a lot of things people want to bitch about, day in and day out, but I normally just go with it, and accept the changes. But this is just dumb. I know at the end they said "this is not patch notes, and some of this may not come to pass...blah blah blah" But the fact that they would even consider this just blows me mind.

Rated Battleground Participation Rewards – If you’ve PvPed for any length of time, you’ve been in one of those matches where the final score is so close that victory was a breath away. When we do our jobs right and give you one of those really close matches, it’s sad to not get any reward for participating, so we want to give out some kind of small reward. The rewards will be based on the final score to discourage exploitation.

At this point, why not just give a smaller amount of gear from a boss in a raid if you get him to 5% and wipe? You shouldn't have to be rewarded for trying, no matter how hard you try, you get rewarded for completing a task.

This isn't game breaking for me, and I'm not even going to act like I'll rage quit, but this is seriously ridiculous. Why are Blizzard even considering giving someone a reward for a "close" game? If you don't win, you don't win.

I also acknowledge that they said it will be small reward, but regardless, who gets rewarded for losing? are we 6 year olds on a T-Ball team?
    To make the majority happy the minority must always suffer, it is the way of things. Minority I am refereeing to are the hardcore, much like religious fundamentalists.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    Suppose only the highest ranked team on each server had access to conquest weapons or titles, and all the other competitors got nothing.

What you're doing is confusing a game that people play for fun with a career that people pursue for a living.
    No no. You're making a situation there, I've not done that. I'm not saying Conquest Gear should only be available to the elite, but it should only be available to those that win, which is already the case. You only get Conquest Points by winning Arena, Rated Battlegrounds or Daily Random. I enjoy that system because you know anyone in Conquest gear has won their battles.

The issue is when you can get good gear when you lose. It creates a bot culture that means if you win or lose, you still get a reward. I'm not saying you limit it to the extreme and only allow the elite any rewards, but you shouldn't reward people who lose, at whatever level they lose at.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 08:11 PM ----------

In my opinion yes, because typically people will settle for that 95% and not strive to get to 100%. That is why Arena is so compelling for some, and rewarding at the same time. If you lose, you drop rating and get no reward, and if you win you're granted a lot more rewards.

Not entirely relevant, but I personally am and the many people who I work with who are also successful only got there by having that attitude. If you think second place is acceptable, you can easily slide to third, fourth and beyond. Don't just aim for first, achieve it! If someone is better then you, which does happen, study them and beat them next time.

Don't hang on to your loses, they're in the past. Move on and aim for first again!

Deleted

It's high time you people join us in the real world, then.

Because in the real world, people get rewarded for participating.
    It's totally acceptable to come in second. And third. And second to last (if you come in last you should shoot yourself though. /jk it's a game, it's fine to come in last if you're fine with it yourself)

One of the better comparisons between "esports" (in the broadest sense applicable to WoW PvP) and actual real life would be sports events like soccer championships etc.

Sure, there's not the same prestige and cash in coming in as the runner-up or third place but there is still a lot of reward, financially and otherwise. And there has to be.

There has to be in WoW as well which is why this is a good change that I hope is happening. rbgs are in SERIOUS need of some love.

Blizz has *always* had this kind of liberal mentality. It is the exact same thing as rewarding both sports teams in grade school "so no feelings are hurt". In schools it teaches kids that "everyone is a winner, there are no losers." It is why they had a "utility tax" on multi-class specs in the game also.

I hate that mentality, it simply sucks. You HAVE to teach kids that in real life there will always be winners AND losers, and you need to teach them to strive to be a winner, and you need to teach them to have a thick skin and accept when they lose.

This change plainly sucks, and I agree with previous posters. Why not make it for PVE when you wipe at 1%?? How about free repairs at 2% wipe and free repairs plus 100g at 1% per player??

gg blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    I believe this is the experience most people have had with RBGs. Did it once, got stomped, never came back.
    I belive this is the Major problem with Many things in the Game. Players like you Guys. " Oh I cant win 1st time so i give up " or the best 1 " Oh i cant even get Carryed by people in LFR its to hard!!" OR no this 1 it the best " Oh i didnt get the Loot i wanted 1st roll, That means LFR loot is broke!" Come on people, Get a Grip. Its called Try try again. When i joined my RBG group we lost the 1st 4, Did we cry and start bicthing like what you guys are doing? No, We got our heads on St8. Talked about Specs and plans for wining. Next week we walked in and Won 6 times.

I dont mind being rewards for trying hard. Most people on here like the idea but just wanna bicth about something so go figure, I have no problem being the Honest stone againt the tide of hate.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

They are just trying things to get people to participate in RBG's. The problem is that until they figure out a way for individuals or very small groups to randomly que and be rewarded its never going to be that popular. A very large chunk of the people that wanted RBG's were every day people who just loved doing normal BG's, but were always behind gear wise because you couldn't get the top gear in BG's. Instead of figuring out a system for those players and more hardcore PvPers alike who really just prefer BG's, they did nothing but create an oversized Arena match.

Thats why it has been not so successful and will continue to be. Right now you essentially have small scale Arena teams, and large scale Arena teams which is not what what most of the player base was wanting when it was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Xolotl View Post
    It's high time you people join us in the real world, then.

Because in the real world, people get rewarded for participating.
    It's totally acceptable to come in second. And third. And second to last (if you come in last you should shoot yourself though. /jk it's a game, it's fine to come in last if you're fine with it yourself)

One of the better comparisons between "esports" (in the broadest sense applicable to WoW PvP) and actual real life would be sports events like soccer championships etc.

Sure, there's not the same prestige and cash in coming in as the runner-up or third place but there is still a lot of reward, financially and otherwise. And there has to be.

There has to be in WoW as well which is why this is a good change that I hope is happening. rbgs are in SERIOUS need of some love.
    Right, that's in championships, not in a single match. Only hockey, to my knowledge, is dumb enough to give a point to a losing team (OT or shootout), and it's a rule that should go away.

In any case, the vast majority of team games don't directly reward 2nd place in individual matches. And while there are financial perks for finishing down the ladder a bit, they're hardly equatable in this game.

...Okay Ricky Bobby.

I don't really see the issue. They get a small reward like normal BGs, and we barely get anything in BGs for losing.

I'm not hardcore into PVP so I don't personally have an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    They are just trying things to get people to participate in RBG's. The problem is that until they figure out a way for individuals or very small groups to randomly que and be rewarded its never going to be that popular. A very large chunk of the people that wanted RBG's were every day people who just loved doing normal BG's, but were always behind gear wise because you couldn't get the top gear in BG's. Instead of figuring out a system for those players and more hardcore PvPers alike who really just prefer BG's, they did nothing but create an oversized Arena match.

Thats why it has been not so successful and will continue to be. Right now you essentially have small scale Arena teams, and large scale Arena teams which is not what what most of the player base was wanting when it was announced.
    Exactly. There was no reason to have this based on anything other than personal random BG w/l record.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is the reward that is being given? Please don't say players have gotten to the point they whine about things before they have all the information, trying to give posters the benefit of the doubt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post

Nail in the head here, the system was created without a proper demographic in mind, and thus no one wants to use it.

People who wanted conquest for BG's wanted the ability to solo queue for BG's and be able to earn some conquest through another means than arena, instead, Blizzard created another method for people already doing arena to gain conquest for the week. And those people, already content with Arena grinding, don't want to waste time b finding 5-7 other guys to effectively get the same reward when there is an easier method available to them

They added a feature for a demographic that didn't want or need it, rather than the one that asked for it and should have been designed for.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol