The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

PvP Balance now and then.

First of I'd like to say that this is not a thread to bash any players or bash the game itself, in any kind of way, I play it and I enjoy it.

People tend to say, it was so much better in Vanilla, things were balanced, things was better. They usually reffer to Vanilla and TBC in a state where the game was better. Well it doesn't take more than 5 min on youtube to see that these statements are false.

So far we've heard people saying

"MOP - Worst balance in PvP" "Warrior OP" "Hunter OP" "Mages OP" "Rogues are BAD" I'm not going to take a part into these as these are only going to be used as a example.

I did play Vanilla and all the expansions thereafter. Now I ask you. How was this game any more balanced than it is right now?

Vanilla

Warrior : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGBnj...ure=watch-vrec One shots multiple targets with AOE abilites and this within matters of seconds. Balanced?

Shaman : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6eIe...eature=related (Globalized in a stun or a fear, within few seconds (1-2)) People nowadays complain at Warrior and Hunter beating stuff in 3-5 seconds standing still not moving, while these players actually try, nevertheless they fail.

Paladin : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bgepbZuo0 Not as amazing as the others, but yet they two shot them. Yes he got a legendary, but so what?

Hunter : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue6gYLHqQpw Bad quality but yet, he beats them in a few shots. Balanced? Nope.

Rogue : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlZ58oPN4XI Stunlocking and beating stuff in few seconds being balanced? Yes, he's skilled, I played on the same realm and admit alot of ganking from him. (Burning Blade early before free xfer due to overpopulation to grim batol)

TBC:

Warrior : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndR-ahMxbp0 Oh yeah Swifty. One of the rogues were undergeared but really, should he be able to wreck 3 of them? Haha.

Paladin : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwdv1...eature=related Two shotting people .. not fun.

Mage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3FjQ360HKI Frost bolt + Icelance = 70% of your HP. Balanced? Haha.

Well, there's alot more fotage on youtube. I took the first videos I saw and linked them.

My point being. People get blinded, WoW wasn't balanced, it never was. It's never going to be but they're working on it. I'm not saying that the state it's currently at is the best but that it's alot more progressive than how it was. Stop complaing and give it some times. Blizzard has been doing this for quite some time. TBC better? Vanilla better? no thanks. What was better in those times was the community. That was better

You're right. You can and always have been able to destroy undergeared and bad players in random battlegrounds like these videos show.

The problem is with bursty combat (where MoP is definitely up there with S5) is that the heals need to be able to keep up, which they do and for the most part always have. However, this is the first season where mana pools are infinite and so you must pull out incredible damage and/or CC for extensive periods. Currently, 2 classes can do both, a few more classes can pull out damage every few minutes and then you have affliction warlocks. Why should 2 classes have every tool available and the others don't. It's not balanced.

Yes, WoW was never very balanced. That shouldn't be an argument of the state of play though. Progress is made from knowledge and experience. The reason people are complaining a lot is because this is the first season where Blizzard has shown that their staff neither retain knowledge or gain experience.

Deleted
    Enhancement Shamans 1-shotting people in Vanilla (Unbreakable lol).

What about Warlocks? They were the bane of PvP in Vanilla after the buff. In one of the videos I made back then (and I was no hardcore PvPer and definitely not a "pro") I managed to kill 5 people inside the WSG tunnel by just dotting a bunch and using LoS.

Fast forward to TBC: Remember early TBC BM Hunters? The pain...

Apart from that, just go and google Stormherald .

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why i really enjoyed vanilla pvp the most of all, everyone geared was capable of being over the top unbalanced. And when everyone was unbalanced it sort of made it balanced? In a way anyway.
    You could get fucked up yet at the same time you could also fuck shit up yourself.
    Anyone could dominate like really dominate, more so than in any other time in wow.
    Like you could take 10 decent players on by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Fast forward to TBC: Remember early TBC BM Hunters? The pain...
    no one played bm, silencing shot hit for like 75% weapon dmg with 2.0 and it was amazing.

I used to complain about balance back in Vanilla, but now looking back it was probably the most balanced PvP has been in WoW. There were def favorable match ups but 1v1 most classes were equipped to deal with eachother. PvP Gear vs PvE Gear was actually pretty balanced up to the MC/Ony level. PvP gear's Stam & Set Bonus made it superior to T1 gear for PvP without making it absurdly lopsided for either side. It went down hill though when BWL+ gear proliferated PvP.

I played warlock in tbc. I could literally decimate the oppositions team by chain casting seed of corruption and blowing teams up. AV was great on defense. I was not balanced at all.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's good to see that many of you agree with me and that it didn't start into a hate / flame thread, I thank you for that. Blizz is working on it, give them time .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    no one played bm, silencing shot hit for like 75% weapon dmg with 2.0 and it was amazing.
    I'm talking arenas here (maybe only in 2v2 since it was the only thing I played with my brother) and I remember early TBC BM Hunters when BW gave you immunity to CC and all that jazz.

mop pvp is actually fun to play compared to cata.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cexspa View Post
    mop pvp is actually fun to play compared to cata.
    Specially if you have a "Hardened Shell" (the item that dismounts players). Today while doing dailies I found a guy that tried to gank me multiple times earlier in the xpac, killed him and camped a bit.. He then managed to get on his mount and was just hovering over me doing emotes... Well, sad day for him, once the Shell hit his name went from emote lines to the combat log honor gains.

10+ Year Old Account

Not the easiest thing to fix, nor is it possible to fix immediately. :P

Quote Originally Posted by panterarules View Post
    The reason people are complaining a lot is because this is the first season where Blizzard has shown that their staff neither retain knowledge or gain experience.
    This just made me burst out laughing. Thanks for the joke, friend. It was a good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    My point being. People get blinded, WoW wasn't balanced, it never was. It's never going to be but they're working on it. I'm not saying that the state it's currently at is the best but that it's alot more progressive than how it was. Stop complaing and give it some time.
    Well, I think you're mistaken if you sincerely believe the vast majority of posters who complain about game balance actually care about it.

A perfect example is Warriors and Second Wind. For a while Warriors have been a rough class to duel with. For years, everyone's great advice is that the game isn't balanced around 1v1, so you should enlist a holy paladin slave who will hold your hand and help you with everything everywhere that you go. Warrior finally gets some respectable self-healing, exact same people (who still haven't hit 1500 and still only have WWW and SITA achievments) throw a shitfit when the Warrior is saying the game isn't balanced around 1v1.

Where they then attempt to make other posters believe that Warriors and Beast Mastery Hunters are the only classes in the game that are capable of the ridiculous amounts of damage and control that they express so much disdain for. But in all honesty, they're just the biggest problem out of a handful of big problems.

Meanwhile, no one is bothered by Shadow Priests or Mages.

They don't want balance, they just want to complain.

PVP is always unbalanced in the beginning of an Xpac (because devs don't care shit about it)

Cata also began super unbalanced(warriors were way OP than now), but after about the middle of it it was pretty balanced (Well there were few problems such as legendary+vial rogues or Tarecgosa, but overall not too bad).

It's really too early to judge it; it's only been a month since release.