Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Will of the Emperor 10 M - I can't dance, help

Anyone have any good tips for dancing?

I'm pretty mentally-handicapped when it comes to being able to dance. I've practiced once in LFR and a couple times on normal. We had one wipe @ 2% HP, and that attempt I got ZERO opportunistic Strikes off. I died to the dance twice one in each attempt thereafter. I rage quit and am now venting here. I don't think I'm a bad player because I like to hold myself to a higher standard, however maybe I'm just a piece of shit and this is a wake up call...

Any advice?

(I'm tempted to uninstall and quit WoW out of sheer embarrassment)
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

if tryed myself and because of the tank running around. or the boss turning allitle if been unable to even get close to a complete dance....

if raided 8/8 heroic DS
    if watched the movie and understand the left / right and frontal cleave and his stomp. but every single time he does a arc slash thats not left or right... more like a halve frontal + left or right.

because of this i'm rather afraid having to do the dance on normal seeing it's a good dps boost if you can pull it off.... yet on normal it's going to hurt a ton if i fail
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

It's honestly ridiculously easy. If I get hit by even one devastating arc I consider that attempt worthless because it's practically impossible to fail on it.

They always do one of 4 attacks - to the left side, right side, front, or aoe stomp. They do a bunch of blue swirly lines that very clearly indicate which side it will be on. If it is on either the right or left, he will turn his body sideways and that basically gives you the exact line where it splits, just be on his other side. If it's the front cone, just stand right behind his ass. Walk away from the stomp. You get tons of time and it is very simple.

Make sure you have a move speed enchant or use a passive move speed talent if you have one, it will help.

Edit: and there is literally no such thing as the arcs being "half on one side" or any other nonsense you want to use to blame your fail on. It is always the same. When it starts dancing the tank can't even turn it unless it stomps either.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Have you noticed the blue lines indicating where he's going to strike? I didn't for the longest time and tried to guess based on his stance (but the mogu melee animations involve some serious contortions, and aren't always the same). The stomp is the trickiest, but I've found it better to focus more on dancing than what I'm doing DPS-wise since the Opportunistic Strike more than makes up for lost DPS.
    Solaron of <Old Guard>, Tichondrius US

Perhaps your spell detail is low and you can't even notice the warning streaks before he slashes.
    Or maybe you didn't know he has those and are simply looking at which way he's facing when he does his little pause.
    The first time i did the fight i had a touch time avoiding them all, it just takes a bit of practice. Now i tank the fight and i usually get about 8 opportunistic strikes off.
    The stomps are what throw me the most and usually catch me, i can avoid all the strikes now.
    For the stomp I think im just out of range and either im just on the edge of the dust animation and he still stuns me or im outside the animation and still get stunned. There appears to be a 1-2yrd zone where you still get hit even though you're technically outside of the range.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see the blue arcs just fine, I don't know if it's my reaction time or what. The thing that gets me usually is the aoe smash, I wait half a second to see blue arcs and then by the time I see his foot lifting up I run out....

I'm getting caught right on the edge of the aoe... Every time.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaster View Post
    Have you noticed the blue lines indicating where he's going to strike? I didn't for the longest time and tried to guess based on his stance (but the mogu melee animations involve some serious contortions, and aren't always the same). The stomp is the trickiest, but I've found it better to focus more on dancing than what I'm doing DPS-wise since the Opportunistic Strike more than makes up for lost DPS.
    Indeed. Focus more on the dance than the DPS. What I do is rotate my camera to an overhead view. Then I run in a straight line away from the center of the blue line. It's important to note the strike is a 180 degree on the model of the boss, so you have to move beyond him.

The stomp can be trickiest, but if you stand at max melee you can turn quickly and get out of range while still gaining the stack to get the Strike. This is important as if you move too far out, you won't get the 5 stacks to get a strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    I can see the blue arcs just fine, I don't know if it's my reaction time or what. The thing that gets me usually is the aoe smash, I wait half a second to see blue arcs and then by the time I see his foot lifting up I run out....

Look for the dust to kick up off the ground. That's how I do it. You can also look for a lifted leg on the animation, whichever works.

Sounds like you are standing too close to him. I get to the other side of his arc and keep a decent distance away just in case he starts to stomp. The arcs are always easy to swap sides on so the extra little distance doesnt matter

Just keep strafing from left to right within a 5 yard box. When you see the blue strike pop up your reaction time will automatically be a bit faster since you're already moving (doesn't matter if you're strafing left and you have to turn around to go right, you're still actively moving / keeping aware of your position)

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish my issue for the stomp was being too far away and actually missing the combo.

I already use an overhead wide angle camera view, is there any way to tell when he's going to stomp from this viewpoint?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, your view that you aren't a bad player, when you are dying to it, is holding you back. As much as you don't want to face it, you are - at least in this regard. Face it, and you can conquer it.

Also, try maxcameradistance or w/e that macro is, and zoom all the way out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have your camera at about 90-120 degrees, it is very easy to see all the animations from 50 yards out. You need to react to the animation, not the little blue arcs. Learn what each one looks like then react accordingly. Waiting for that extra indicator will get you stomped. The stance is by far the MOST easily visible and early to see indicator. I just look at his torso/arms to see where his weapon is at. Focus on memorizing what each stance looks like and you'll do fine as long as you react quickly. What class are you btw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    it really depends on proper timing and what direction you're moving in. You didn't mention your class, but some tanks can spec into movement speed increasing talents that can greatly increase your chances of dodging the strikes. if worst comes to worse, you can always ask for a priest (if you have one) to life-grip you away if you're in range, or you could (if you're a warrior) make an intervene macro and press it as needed.

Deleted
    There's only so much advice that can be given with this, rest is really practise...
    But what I can tell you (maybe you know some of the stuff already but I'll list it anyway since I don't know exactly where the problem lies) is as follows:

There's a few ways to see what attack is being done next:
    You can look on the animations around the boss (blue slashes in the air, goes 1, 2, 3-attack. For stomp there's an earthquake-ish animation under him or so) or,
    you can look on the boss itself; if the boss has his weapon on the right shoulder, he'll do the strike on his left side. If he has the weapon no the left shoulder he'll do it on his right side. If he holds it infront of him he'll hit infront of him. If he lifts one foot and holds the weapon over his head, he'll do a stomp.

Peronally I think it's much easier to watch the animations around the boss instead of the boss itself.

The order is random, although there will never be two stomps following eachother. You should always anticipate a stomp, as if you start to run to the boss' centre then realises it's a stomp, you'll most likely be too late. If there just was a stomp, your best bet is to run towards the centre of the boss before you see which direction you need to go (you start running in before you know where to go simply because if there's an arc in your way and you wait to make a decision, you might be too late even if you use sprint.

Use sprint if it looks like you'll have problems making it.

But yeah, I don't really think much about how I'm doing it anylonger, but I guess I usually stay around 6 yards or so from the boss' centre, that way I can easily run through the boss in time, and I can easily run out if it's a stomp, then after the attack I just go back into approximately that range again, took a few tries to figure out what range was what I felt comfortable with and I guess it's the same for everyone that does it, so practise is definitely key.

In short on the animations you can look for:
    Stomp - Ground clutter, dusty shit under the boss. Boss lift's one foot and holds his weapon over his head.

Front slash - Boss holds the weapon infront of him. There's two smaller arcs going to each side of the weapon in this animation instead of one big one. (The "hardest" combo in my opinion is when boss does Stomp followed by this slash directed my way, for some reason I just have a higher fail rate on that compared to any other, so I usually sprint here).

Right / Left slash - Boss will strike on the opposite side of where the weapon is resting (Weapon on left shoulder, slashing coming on his right side and vice versa.) Presents as long slashes covering the side he'll hit. If you're looking on the boss himself for the animations, you want to go to the side where he's resting his weapon.

I don't know if this will be any help but I can't really figure out what else I can tell you other than this and to practise... Good luck and I hope you found any of the stuff I wrote helpful.

But once you get the hang of it, it's really easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogue, and my sprint saves me for one screw up, but not the next >.< I already have movement increase on my boots as well.

Im a guardian tank, on progression heroic will, I had 124% passive movement and I still get clipped by the arcs a few times. Since it was my first time tanking that fight on heroic, I had a difficult time. However, after talking to the other tank, he told me to stop moving so much. Waiting for the first arc to appear and clearly show where it is instead of figgiting or preemptively moving will juke you really hard.
    That advice helped a lot as I barely got caught by them the next day of progression on the fight. I just kept telling myself to calm down and watch, then move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I think part of my issue is getting too hyped up for it, I'm not relaxed and that could possibly be contributing to my errors.

Yeah I think part of my issue is getting too hyped up for it, I'm not relaxed and that could possibly be contributing to my errors.
    in any twitchy game, in this case, twitchy movement. Remaining calm while still playing with speed is PARAMOUNT. Have a fast reaction time, but wait until you know what you have to react to, take the extra quarter second.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Also DBM has in big blue letters things such as LEFT ARC etc. This may help you

Rogue, and my sprint saves me for one screw up, but not the next >.< I already have movement increase on my boots as well.
    Use Shadowstep too, I find its great for coming back in after the stomp, you could also ShS to a raid member that is in the right place.

Personally I find one of the biggest things you can do to make the dance easier is stand on the tank, the boss will always centralize on the tank, so by being on the tank you gaurentee the boss has centralized on you.