What are naga doing in Zangarmarsh?

Leveling a new toon and while in Outlands it dawned on me. What are they doing there? Seeing as how they are night elves, night elves are on Azeroth, and not Draenor, how could this come to pass? I feel like I missed something in Warcraft 2 or 3. One idea is that they slipped through the dark portal, but I dont see how thats possible with all the forces of nethergarde and horde guarding the gate. Thoughts?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should play Warcraft 3 OP =) ( Again )

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Frozen Throne to be exact.

There was a huge exodus during Frozen Throne.

the naga on outlands serve illidan, and they came to outlands with him when he went through the portal.

they went to zangarmarsh because ti's pretty wet in there, and soon their lady vashj decided it was a good idea to steal all the water from the outlands in order to control outlands itself. she failed when the players kicked her ass.

she's also kinda sexy
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Right, I remember the whole Vash thing now.
    Gonna go do that lol

Deleted
    I was under the impression they were draining all the water so the other races would die.

Y'know, for the evulz.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I understood it, they are specifically gathering water from the surrounding areas and beaming it into the air with the Coilfang Reservoir. I liked the theory that they are attempting to create a new Well of Eternity with the vials Illidan captured 10,000 years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    They followed Lady Vashj, who followed Illidan to Outlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I liked the theory that they are attempting to create a new Well of Eternity with the vials Illidan captured 10,000 years ago.
    That's pretty much the idea. Illidan was going to use the water from Zangarmarsh and the magic drained from the Netherstorm combined with his last vial to create a new well of eternity in Outland.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    That's pretty much the idea. Illidan was going to use the water from Zangarmarsh and the magic drained from the Netherstorm combined with his last vial to create a new well of eternity in Outland.
    I guess Illidan actually did have a plan to sate his and his allies magic addiction
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    I guess Illidan actually did have a plan to sate his and his allies magic addiction
    All he was doing was trying to save his people...

...but he wasn't prepared.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I was under the impression that Kael was the one doing the magic draining in Netherstorm, and was already serving the Legion at that time. If I remember, he used the energy he gathered to restart the sunwell to try to bring Kil'jaeden back into Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    I was under the impression that Kael was the one doing the magic draining in Netherstorm, and was already serving the Legion at that time. If I remember, he used the energy he gathered to restart the sunwell to try to bring Kil'jaeden back into Azeroth.
    He was originally draining it for Illidan. Then he started getting ideas about remaking the Sunwell, then started working for Kil'jaeden.

The draining in Netherstorm had been going on for quite some time before the time the quests are set.