Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Looks like there might be a workaround here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1320903/r...or-offline-pcs

Still, this is a seriously stupid move. They should store the setting on the mouse itself like some other brands (and is backed up on the PC). Or do they think their products have such crap reliability that they want to store the settings on a cloud server so when you replace the dead mouse you keep the settings?

Just a bonehead move to force internet based DRM on hardware, period.

One of the absolutely most annoying things about the Synapse 2 drivers is that when updating, they can often just switch your mouse off altogether. A lot of the time, I find that if Synapse is updating itself or the mouse drivers at start up, I'm basically screwed for controlling my mouse and have to keyboard shortcut around the place. I dropped back to the older Razer drivers because of this. Luckily my Naga's on the way out (not sure if it's driver related or the lasers just decided to stop being as responsive as it should be), so I'll not be using another Razer mouse, as much as I like the Naga itself.

wow seriously. if this is true i'm so glad i swapped to a Cyborg Ratz 7 mouse. I stopped buying razer mice when i discovered that the middle wheel's axel was cheap thin plastic that was designed to break every year (had 2 mice's wheel axe snap in the exact same spot 2 years in a row).

Any hardware that will depend on an online activation and DRM i will defiently never buy. That just seems like a ploy to try collect peronsal information to try make more money off of you.

from razer's terms of service for the software to get your mouse working and op's link:

User Generated Information” means any information made available to Razer through your use of the Software. Subject to the Privacy Policy mentioned above, you expressly grant Razer the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.

By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”), the Subscriber agrees that Razer may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information. Razer may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Razer shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.
    So basically if you want the functionality of your buttons ect to program and set sensitivity you have to allow them to spy on you so they can sell information about your pc habbits to the highest bidder thus making more money off you. (note while they cliam they won't tag you specifically to the info they still take your habbits and sell them)

example: you seem to play alot of starcraft and other rt's games then razer can take the % of their users and use that information to try sell other people % of naga XXX mice play this .. % of Adder mice users play this .. and then can sell that information (that would be the other parties). later on you'll start seeing mice/software and other serivces being advertized targeting those consumers based on mice choice or habbits. you go to x sites and they know wich type of games you play .. they sell a list of websites you frequent to the people who want to advertize to your type of gamer.
    Last edited by Arteous; 2012-11-03 at 07:46 PM.

I just want to add that I have had my Razor Naga for around 2 years now and have yet to encounter any issues. I have also got a razer keyboard and headset, and not experienced any issues with them either. I just think that you guys with issues are in the minority, I don't know anyone that has had issues with razer products.

I'm using the Razer Deathstalker Ultimate which requires Razer Synapse 2.0 to be logged in and running all the time and have yet to have any issue with their log in servers.

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    It's the only way to stop the mouse pirates.
    I would download a mouse if i could get away with it.

I don't know about DRM, but whenever I've tried to use the software to adjust settings on my Deathadder (not a 2012 model, mind) it's ended up freezing and eventually not working at all without a shutdown. It was my first and probably will be my last Razer product. It's all lolgramer style and no substance, though granted it's comfortable. I see Logitech in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    I don't know about DRM, but whenever I've tried to use the software to adjust settings on my Deathadder (not a 2012 model, mind) it's ended up freezing and eventually not working at all without a shutdown. It was my first and probably will be my last Razer product. It's all lolgramer style and no substance, though granted it's comfortable. I see Logitech in my future.

The Deathadder doesn't need or use Synapse... All its features are usable without the program.

Except LED control and various adjustments, the former being the reason I've repeatedly tried to use it in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Xasi View Post
    I just want to add that I have had my Razor Naga for around 2 years now and have yet to encounter any issues. I have also got a razer keyboard and headset, and not experienced any issues with them either. I just think that you guys with issues are in the minority, I don't know anyone that has had issues with razer products.
    It would be pretty akward if all those youtube videos on how to fix common Naga issues were the same handful of friends w/ a bad batch

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    It would be pretty akward if all those youtube videos on how to fix common Naga issues were the same handful of friends w/ a bad batch
    When I contacted the customer support, I found out an interesting compatibility problem. My Deathstalker wasn't saving the settings/being detected. What was wrong? I needed to update Internet Explorer to the newest version and bam. Problem fixed. This could be an issue with a lot of gamers simply because most of them I know instantly go for Firefox and Chrome without ever updating from the stock version of IE that comes with the OS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. I honestly wonder why they think an always-on DRM is a good idea for peripherals.

If this is true, I'm not surprised. I hope it's a hoax but damn if it doesn't sound like something some company would think is a great idea. What, don't you own the mouse? Are they licensing peripherals now too? FFS.

You don't have to use the synapse for the naga to work. Yeah, it's shitty useless software, just like the shitty useless software that came with your printer, your video card, your USB drive, your camera, your phone, your mp3 player, your prebuilt computer, your keyboard and your monitor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Autier View Post
    Interesting. I honestly wonder why they think an always-on DRM is a good idea for peripherals.
    Well since there's enough sheep to still buy their products and not have concerns about always on DRM spyware apparently, why shouldn't they?

Personally I'm more amazed how people are fine with being spied upon by a glorified mouse/keyboard driver as long as they "have yet to have any issue with their log in servers"...

If a mouse/keyboard manufacturer told me that their products come with always on DRM and I have to agree to them selling usage information gathered, I'd tell them they can take their devices and shove them up their... some place rather uncomfortable - preferably sideways

I had a razor Naga for less than 6 months... It died shortly after I quit WoW. Conspiracy theories, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    I had a razor Naga for less than 6 months... It died shortly after I quit WoW. Conspiracy theories, anyone?
    you want conspiracy? My Windows 7 crashed the night before Windows 8 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    You don't have to use the synapse for the naga to work. Yeah, it's shitty useless software, just like the shitty useless software that came with your printer, your video card, your USB drive, your camera, your phone, your mp3 player, your prebuilt computer, your keyboard and your monitor.
    I've been brought to understand that there are good reasons why you'd want to use the software, but I'm afraid I haven't tested it. My Razer mouse started doubleclicking before I could think to bother.

My synapse wont even open anymore, and I can't use my SWTOR headset without it. Razer really screwed up here, being as I have had Synapse since its launch date. I have hated it the entire time, and my first search was for how to install the headset without Synapse. Thinking of just buying another cheap logitech headset and reverting back to pre synapse naga drivers.

Had a razer mamba since late 2009ish and its probably one of the best mice I've owned. The only issue I've ever had with it is every once in a while I need to clean my pad of a crumb or something because it will hit it and jump like crazy. Just bought a Black Widow cuz it was like 50 bucks and I wanted to check out a mechanical keyboard before spending more on one if I didnt like them but so far no problems. I also didnt install the synapse junk. Have my g15 still sitting around in case things do go downhill with the keyboard.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014