Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any tips for Blade Lord Ta'yak?

Hello everyone,

My guild has been attempting Blade Lord Ta'yak (Not killed him yet) for tonight and I was wondering if people had some tips to up my performance.

I'm was making a lot of mistakes when I was still getting adjusted to when he unseen strikes, but even when I did get a little more comfortable with it I wasn't really able to do enough damage I feel, generally doing around 55-63k dps and dipping a little lower when we got to P2, playing as BM.

My guild's DPS is fairly weak though so the fight duration is very long and I feel that isn't helping me at all.

I don't have logs right now but I'll try and get them if from tomorrow's raid, but any general help is welcome.

This is my hunters armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/leica/simple

There's no real tips other than "avoid tornados" in p1, and be 8 yards apart so you don't spread Wind Step. Make sure someone is keeping track of unseen strike, collapse on the tank when he casts it, gg.

P2 is just learning how to dodge tornados. IDK if pets get pushed back by the winds (I run SV for the whole instance even though this is one fight where BM probably would be good), but if they do, they'll do pretty poorly on p2. There is a possibility though, that if they run thru tornados, they can reach the boss well before you can and you can start KCing early, which is probably the smallest of DPS boosts. If they run thru tornados and you get hit by them and get dragged away, you may even risk despawning them (I didn't get hit by any tornados in our attempts nor our kill, so I don't know if this is possible.

I like to use disengage with posthaste which is enough of a boost to get around half way across the room during the tornado phase. Pets can engage the boss when you are around half way across.

Make sure that you really watch the cooldown timers for the boss, you don't want to waste BW or Rapid Fire cooldown when he is about to unseen strike.

I noticed that deterrence didn't do anything to help with tornadoes.

Post logs, can't give good feedback without logs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Master's call/cheetah (With deterrence) can work if you're running the cheetah glyph you can get a little extra distance if you really want to do that. Personally, I find disengage to be a little tricky because the tornadoes are buggy and aren't always correct in the whole picking up thing.

What is an acceptable number on him anyways, assuming a 463 weapon, could give me an average to shoot for.

10+ Year Old Account
    As either spec being in the early 60's looks acceptable. I died near the end so I ended up doing like 50k =/

You know what you can do is place your explosive and snake trap down for every unseen strike, get in that extra dps because you can't attack him when he's doing unseen strike.

Also do note that any other class with abilities like this can do this as well. Be it a mage with a flamestrike (if it's mana efficient) or an affliction warlock with rain of fire whatever.
    Last edited by Tehstool; 2012-11-06 at 07:46 PM.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Deleted
    In the first phase im trying to position myself really quick to start shooting again when the tanks are moving to another side of the room, i just simply disengage and run a few yards and stay there and shoot. Aswell im worgen and got engineering which makes me get past the tornadoes in the last phase really quick. If you got a druid in your raid, make sure he use Stampeding roar too. If you are good with disengage, you should try to jump then the tornados in last phase drops you off. I suppose that will give a good start with the running.

I end up with around 60k when the boss died.

Quote Originally Posted by Namarus View Post
    I like to use disengage with posthaste which is enough of a boost to get around half way across the room during the tornado phase. Pets can engage the boss when you are around half way across.
    When do you disengage? Are you talking about the first gauntlet? How do you avoid landing in a tornado's path? Or are you talking about the 2nd, 10% gauntlet and getting an edge on the distance?

Quote Originally Posted by mythas View Post
    When do you disengage? Are you talking about the first gauntlet? How do you avoid landing in a tornado's path? Or are you talking about the 2nd, 10% gauntlet and getting an edge on the distance?
    If you disengage right before he starts spawning tornadoes you can sometimes avoid it, depending on how your RNG is. I wouldn't do i though since you can get caught in them. Never tried it when the tornadoes are spawning though.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Another thing I noticed is you can disengage Unseen Strike (when it's cast on you), making your raid take no damage, because this ability radius is limited. But you can't use disengage at 2-3 sec debuff (you get locked on using it), so you need to wait till last second. Our mage could do it better, using his instant blink on last second of debuff. Didn't have much time to test precise timing though.

the fight is little bit boring and as mentioned above just position raid not far from boss so you can always stack on player with Unseen Strike. Also be 8y from each other so Wind Step doesn't hit more than 1 person. In P2 don't get hit by tornado so healers can keep you alive until you all stack at boss

I did my first kill yesterday with semi-pug, not knowing tact very well on 5th pull doing ~58k dps as a SV with ToTH/LR/i475/463wep/no pots lol

this may also help http://icy-veins.com/blade-lord-ta-y...d-strategy-wow
    Last edited by Konik; 2012-11-07 at 09:32 AM.

Tried the boss yesterday and switched to posthaste for the tornado phase. The moment you are free at start of 1st gauntlet (20%), have your back to the wall behind and disengage - you get the boost and run. U get pushed back a little but its less risky. I am not sure if you should use it 10 the 10% gauntlet though; as long as you dont get pushed to far back, should be ok. If you can dodge tornadoes at start by facing you back that way, might be handy to use glyphed disengage but I have not tried it like that. Back faced to the wall is safe for me.

You can disengage at both parts of the gauntlet. When the tornadoes first take you to the side of the room you can disengage immediately, once they deposit you, with post haste making it to about half way across the room. Also when he switches sides you can again disengage and start running to the other side of the room, the tornadoes do not immediately switch direction.

Sorry to be daft but I still don't see how you can be assured you won't land in an incoming tornado if you disengage for the 20% gauntlet. The 10% makes sense.

I always disengage the second I land for the 1st tornado run. The tornadoes are only halfway across the room at that point. Make sure you are facing the end wall (back to the boss) as the tornado sweeps you down. Disengage the second you can and turn in the air to face the tornado...then run.

Also - the very last set of tornadoes are a bitch had have gotten me several times. One thing to keep in mind is that they never spawn in the same place twice so that can help you determine a safe spot.

Another trick - when the boss is at 11 or 12% step into the windstream on the very edge of the room. It will move you very quickly down the hallway away from the boss. When the boss hits 10% you're already almost the entire way back to the other side where the boss just moved to. However, a caveat... keep in mind that as soon as the boss hits 10% the wind direction changes and if you are in the stream you will go just as quickly the opposite way. If you don't make it all the way to the other side, step out of the stream and start dodging tornadoes.

@ Bellatrex--
    Thanks. The piece I was missing on that first gauntlet disengage is that the tornados are half way back when we land.
    And the windstream trick-- nice. But doesn't it damage you quite a bit? Or maybe the damage doesn't start til tornados are out?

@ Bellatrex--
    Thanks. The piece I was missing on that first gauntlet disengage is that the tornados are half way back when we land.
    And the windstream trick-- nice. But doesn't it damage you quite a bit? Or maybe the damage doesn't start til tornados are out?
    I didn't notice any extra damage doing it. But if you run the same way as the wind you get down there in seconds anyway so the damage is negligible.

As others have said its best to make sure your positioned correctly and not wasting cool downs during unseen strike.

@ Bellatrex--
    Like Xander said - I didn't notice any extra damage.

Another thing I thought of - when Unseen Strike happens I use that "down time" to drop an explo trap - because our strat has us stacking on the boss.